Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Odd Sleeping Condition  (Read 1953 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Odd Sleeping Condition
« on: December 12, 2010, 07:54:10 am »

Every 2-3 days, I end up in a state between REM sleep and wakefulness which I believe to be some combination of a lucid dream and sleep paralysis. It's a bit hard to explain, but I can list the symptoms:

1. I can't move, which is typical of sleep paralysis.
- I can "feel" my limbs moving, but in reality they aren't moving at all.
-Occasionally, I "move" a limb off the bed, and it slumps down and becomes completely unmovable along with the sensation of all my blood being sucked down to my fingers, as if it were made of lead or something.
-It seems to be different with every episode, at times I can "open" my eyes though it feels like my eyelids are made of lead, I can "move" my limbs/fingers/toes though my real body isn't moving at all, there are times when I can control my breathing, times when my heartbeat becomes incredibly strong, times where I can make sounds using my voice although nothing coherent and no one else seems to be able to hear it, and times where I can hear as I would normally.
- I instantly wake up by being physically touched by another living thing. I haven't had anyone test prodding me with inanimate objects though, but I believe it would have similar results.

2. As for the mental part:
- I am quite aware of my state.
- I can attempt to struggle awake, but there's an incredibly strong urge to just fall asleep.
- Attempting to move just moves the body "in my mind", my real form doesn't move at all. If I manage to open my eyes I just see what I expect to see: the room wall that I'm facing when I fall asleep.
- Giving in to the urge to fall asleep makes me enter the dream state, where I apparently dream as normal, although they are quite vivid.
- While dreaming, I am unaware of doing so until near the end of said dream, I suddenly become acutely aware that I'm dreaming. I can attempt to wake up and return to my paralyzed state or attempt to continue the dream, which only delays the time where I return to my paralyzed state.
- While in my paralyzed state, I can wake up through sheer force of will, but I occasionally experience very frightening hallucinations.
- A full dream period state, if I decide to fully experience it can be as short as 20 minutes, where I can experience several dozen different dreams.

I suppose I could list these different states:
1. Paralysis: I have become aware of my paralyzed state.
2. Resistance: I attempt to wake up, I do see imagery, but its mostly translucent images with a black background.
3. Dream: I gave in to the urge to sleep and enter a dream, I have no knowledge that I am dreaming.
4. Semi-Lucid Dream: I'm suddenly acutely aware that I am dreaming, depending on the type of dream/nightmare, I can attempt to wake up or continue dreaming, but either way I return to stage 1.

After enough time passes, the dream period will end on its own and I will feel completely refreshed, even if I only slept for 20 minutes. On the other hand, if I resist the attempts and wake up after stage 2, I'll be extremely tired and almost immediately return to stage 1. This tired period only lasts for about 30 seconds if I manage to get up on my feet.

I vaguely remember some of my dreams:
1. After falling down several hundred stories into an artificial lake, I was taken in by the lowest members of a futuristic society. Apparently society had become a vertical-organization, literally. People lived on separate levels divided by their wealth and status. As I watched their souped-up motorcycles race around - which was quite a feat considering they had to drive sideways on walls - I found out I was in possession of a genuine can of Coca-Cola, which apparently was worth enough to purchase an entire galaxy. So I was sent onto a cargo lift which pulled me hundreds of miles up to the very top, where I was able to see the leader(?) and his cabinet(?) through a small window. The encounter was sorta like when Gordan Freeman in HL2 accidentally teleported into the Big Bad's office i.e. everyone turning to look at me the leader saying "YOU.". Shortly after I was treated to a scene where I saw two giant space fleets preparing for battle with a blue sun in the background.

2. I was on the search for giant spinning runestones and somehow got an entire elementary school (Where my father was playing bingo) drunk which somehow culminated in me turning into a vampire after something of a "X-years later" ending. And then I was in Korea at night with my sisters who were all armed with AA-12s so we could visit some relative I never knew about (Though we were also probably searching for more runestones since I remember saying "Keep an eye out for spinning things."). We reached the home, where I tried to turn on the television, but they said it wasn't working.

3. My boss apparently called my co-worker and we were supposed to meet at the place where we worked; which was apparently behind an old Japanese sushi shop in a dilapidated portion of town. My nephew(?) was driving the car, and he drove onto the road to the right of the shop entrance, which led to a grand hotel where he drove off the top of the escalator and landed in the pool in the center of some fancy restaurant. And that's all i can remember.

4. I was speaking to some character I had just recently met, she spoke in a sing-song voice with rhyming lines - she had a great voice! From our position on some platform with podiums with buttons we climbed across the criss-crossing metal suspending it.  Unfortunately, I realized I was dreaming and though I tried to stay asleep, I returned to stage 1. Upon falling back into the dream, I found out that we had all been curbstomped by zombies(?) along with the rest of my squad(?).

5. I was on a cross-country trip to visit someone's wedding  in my car with my companions: A talking wolf and a talking pregnant kangaroo. After stopping by a nearby grocery store... Apparently, kangaroos eat meat, who would've thought. Later I was jumping from planet to moon, to another planet, to another moon. It ended when I landed on a tiny moon with some form of human construction on it. Apparently I was afraid of being sucked into the purple sun that the rock was orbiting.

6. In my most recent one, happening only a few minutes ago, I was confronted with 3 doors. On the left side was a door with some form of metal barrier erected in front of it. When I asked my "companions" about it they mentioned that they've been there before and it was best that I left it alone due to what they experienced behind it. I unlocked the center door and went through it, which brought me into some kind of hedge maze with a path straight through the center of all the walls. Though it was pitch black due to the night, I "remembered" advice that all I had to do was walk straight towards the center and I probably wouldn't run into any monsters(?). About halfway through I was grabbed and swept off my feet, which somehow culminated to me speaking with some guy that I apparently knew very well at the pool in my swimsuit.

7. I was on a small wooden sloop(?) near the docks and some people drove by with their fancy motorboat. So I sailed my boat in circles really fast, which caused a whirlpool to suck them up. Unfortunately, spinning around so fast caused to boat to tip a bit and take on water. So I jumped up into the air, grabbed the end of the boat, and spun it around really fast, then swung it down which caused the ocean(?) to be split in two for a bit. As I drove along some more, I was stopped by a police boat(?) and thus I ran aground on the side of the giant concrete walls near the docks. After that I was trapped in some white room and was being tortured, my limbs were sucked into giant dimensional rifts where it felt like they were being pierced by thousands of needles. And the rest of the tortures... aren't work-safe. Anyone who says you can't feel pain in a dream is wrong, horribly, horribly wrong.

And that's the few I can remember. I can't make heads or tails of it either.

Oh, the questions are:
1. Is this going to detrimentally affect my mental or physical well-being?
2. Is there any trick to staying in a dream? Some of said dreams are quite enjoyable.
3. Has anyone else experienced this or anything similar to this?

Please excuse my run-on sentences and horrible grammar, all of this is sorta spilling out right now.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 08:08:43 am by Blaze »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Odd Sleeping Condition
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 09:18:44 am »

This is almost exactly what I experience (see my "sleep disorder" topic).  I call it being trapped in a dream, or "coma sleep."  I often fear that I have, in fact, entered a coma and will never be able to wake up again. However, I never wake up feeling refreshed no matter how long I was asleep or at what point I wake up.

I still haven't been able to figure out exactly what is wrong with me that causes this to happen, but seeing another person describe the same experiences is rather encouraging. People tend not to believe my description, the implication being that I'm some kind of hypochondriac or that I'm making it up. But as you surely know, it is quite real.

I didn't read your dream descriptions beyond scanning the first one, but they seem to be fairly typical dreams as far as I'm concerned (that is, very surreal and probably a pastiche of various parts of your waking life, stories you've read, tv/movies you've seen, etc.).  My dreams during "normal" (for me) sleep are similar to this and I thoroughly enjoy them.  My dreams during these episodes of being trapped, however, always take place in my bedroom/apartment.  I'm continually trying to wake up and eternally unsure whether I've succeeded.  As you describe, though, it's nearly impossible to move.  I can feel my whole body in its resting position, and now and then I can move a little bit, and occasionally even stand up and stagger around sluggishly, but the feeling of my body being made of lead is very strong. Unlike you, I usually figure out quite quickly that I'm still asleep and dreaming and immediately start trying to wake myself up (generally out of fear that I'm oversleeping again). I try for what feels like hours without success and again start to fear that I'm in a coma or dead or something. When I finally do wake up, my body still feels heavy and sluggish and I'm generally not entirely sure I'm awake for quite a while after I'm up.

As a recent example, a few days ago I had laid down for a nap in the afternoon (since I hadn't much slept the previous night) and got trapped.  I was lying in bed and I could hear my flatmate come home and he was looking around the apartment for the cat.  I wanted him to come wake me up so I could get out of the paralyzed state, so I started trying to yell to him that I needed help.  After a while I managed to open my mouth and move my lips a little, but when I tried to yell, all that came out was air.  This lasted a while before I finally woke up naturally, feeling, as always, more tired than before I had gone to sleep.  I also found that my flatmate was not home, and I have no idea if he had come home at any point during my nap.

I've been trying to find an explanation for this sleeping problem for a long time, but to no avail.  Let me know if you find anything.  I'm also desperate to figure this out and find a solution, if one exists.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 06:18:05 pm »

It's regular sleep paralysis. There are many things that can trigger this (such as stress or sleeping badly, among the milder and most likely ones). If it's troubling you you should go to a doctor to get a sleep study done.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ø

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 01:53:50 pm »

I think the sheer number of "I have a sleep disorder" topics has sparked a hypochondriac spiral of actually quite normal and common sleep related issues.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 01:55:34 pm »

All... two of them? Or is there more to this out-of-control spiral that I haven't noticed?

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 02:03:30 pm »

2. I was on the search for giant spinning runestones and somehow got an entire elementary school (Where my father was playing bingo) drunk which somehow culminated in me turning into a vampire after something of a "X-years later" ending. And then I was in Korea at night with my sisters who were all armed with AA-12s so we could visit some relative I never knew about (Though we were also probably searching for more runestones since I remember saying "Keep an eye out for spinning things."). We reached the home, where I tried to turn on the television, but they said it wasn't working.

What a horrible dream. AA-12's are horribly overrated. Buy Russian - buy Saiga12.

On a more serious note, I seem to get something like that, but rarely. I treat as something natural, which is ok and shouldn't be fought with.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Ø

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 02:06:40 pm »

All... two of them? Or is there more to this out-of-control spiral that I haven't noticed?
There's been more than two.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 03:11:18 pm »

As I posted in the other topic about sleeping I've had sleep paralysis for many years now. Some of what you describe is a lot like what I experience except with more detail. The other major difference is that I never enjoy the experience while it's happening; My mind is paralysed in a state of panic and it terrifies me, however once it ends I always feel fine.

I don't get it often enough to see a doctor but as ChairmanPoo suggests you should seek medical advice if it's causing problems.

6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 03:28:57 pm »

Sounds vaguely like night terrors...

A night terror, also known as a sleep terror or pavor nocturnus, is a parasomnia disorder characterized by extreme terror and a temporary inability to regain full consciousness. The subject wakes abruptly from slow-wave sleep, with waking usually accompanied by gasping, moaning, or screaming while waking. It is often impossible to awaken the person fully because they are so concentrated on waking, and after the episode the subject normally settles back to sleep without waking. A night terror can rarely be recalled by the subject. They typically occur during non-rapid eye movement sleep.

So maybe you aren't waking up abruptly with gasping, moaning, or screaming...  But the rest of it sounds similar.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 04:06:46 pm »

Sounds like you're plagued by an alp. Try putting a broomstick under your pillow, hanging horseshoes from your bedpost, leaving your shoes next to your bed and putting a mirror in a chest.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 05:01:01 pm »

Sounds like you're plagued by an alp. Try putting a broomstick under your pillow, hanging horseshoes from your bedpost, leaving your shoes next to your bed and putting a mirror in a chest.

Who has a Chest anymore?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 09:09:50 pm »

I do. I dont know where would I keep my lungs otherwise.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 09:46:07 pm »

The paralysis is normal.

Waking up during that part of sleep, is not.

Why is your sleep interrupted?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 03:55:23 am »

Sounds vaguely like night terrors...

A night terror, also known as a sleep terror or pavor nocturnus, is a parasomnia disorder characterized by extreme terror and a temporary inability to regain full consciousness. The subject wakes abruptly from slow-wave sleep, with waking usually accompanied by gasping, moaning, or screaming while waking. It is often impossible to awaken the person fully because they are so concentrated on waking, and after the episode the subject normally settles back to sleep without waking. A night terror can rarely be recalled by the subject. They typically occur during non-rapid eye movement sleep.

So maybe you aren't waking up abruptly with gasping, moaning, or screaming...  But the rest of it sounds similar.

I'm not sure if you're replying to me here as I mentioned being terrified and you posted right after me. If you are suggesting I have night terrors then I would have agreed most of the way through reading the quote but the second to last two sentences are completely unlike what I experience. The ones I can remember I remember with complete clarity and I've not gone back to sleep after yet.

If you are suggesting the OP might have night terrors I'd like to point out that his posting here for advice rather than a worried relative posting on some other forum likely means it's not typical night terrors at any rate.

For Blaze and Sappho: Back when I first experienced sleep paralysis I described it to a fair few people. One of them said he had experienced something similar days after taking ecstasy. I didn't think much of it at the time but having just done a cursory google search it seems many others have noticed the same connection. Excessive alcohol use can also cause it and I wouldn't be surprised if some medicines can too so check those side effects.

Sleep paralysis seems to have existed in most cultures; Wiki has a list of all the different folk explanations for it. Most are very similar but my favourite so far is:
In New Guinea, people refer to this phenomenon as "Suk Ninmyo", believed to originate from sacred trees that use human essence to sustain its life. The trees are said to feed on human essence during night as to not disturb the human's daily life, but sometimes people wake unnaturally during the feeding, resulting in the paralysis.
So maybe it's just you catching those pesky trees.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 08:18:39 am »

Well, my only relatives I can contact are my sisters - due to the distance between us and the rest of our relatives - and none of them have this condition and can't offer any advice other than hypothesis.

And I don't like doctors. I blame being misdiagnosed 7 times with each one worse than the previous. 
How a supposedly competent doctor could take so long to diagnose rheumatic fever is lost on me.
ECG, blood draws, and a dozen different drugs whose names I couldn't pronounce much less recognize.

As for my health habits, I don't smoke, drink, or use any drug/medication. And while I may not be able to sculpt marble masterpieces with my gluts, I'm certainly not a gelatinous blob.

So far, the only way to deal with the onset of this is to let it run its course. If I wake up and actually do get back on my feet, I have to wait an hour or two or it just continues the next time I fall asleep. And for someone with a schedule like mine, waking up and staying up for several hours so I'm sure that it won't happen is not an option, I'm pretty much at a loss.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 08:21:34 am by Blaze »
Pages: [1] 2