Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tamed animals as defence?  (Read 1064 times)

Nameless One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tamed animals as defence?
« on: December 12, 2010, 07:26:29 am »

I have recently bought a tamed wolf and a tamed cougar from an elven caravan in my current game. I freed them from their cages but I noticed I can't use them as pets. If I put them in a pen near the entrance to my fortress and make it so that the pen opens right into the entrance tunnel when a switch is flipped, will the released tamed animals attack the intruders, or will they behave as tamed towards the enemy as well?

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
Re: Tamed animals as defence?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 07:40:36 am »

They will generally behave as most other tamed animals in your fort and try to run away from invaders unless cornered. If you want them to attack train them into war animals.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 07:58:42 am »

Build a kennel, set it to repeat training war dogs. That should train big cats, bears, and other animals too. When you have some war animals, you can assign them to dwarves od chain them at the entrance, or put them in Your enclosed pen near entrance.

Don't expect much from war animals, they die fast. I recommend chaining them at the entrance - they'll attack rhesus macaq, kobolds, and the like.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Nameless One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 08:19:22 am »

Those monkeys and thieves are exactly what I need them for, although cages are more useful for my zoo. What worries me is that wolves and cougars are not at the magmawiki list of animals that can be trained for war. Is the list incomplete?

Nameless One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 09:00:00 am »

I found out on my own. Wolves and Cougars are exotic, so I'll need a Dungeon Master to train them :(

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 11:18:29 am »

I found out on my own. Wolves and Cougars are exotic, so I'll need a Dungeon Master to train them :(

False.  You need a Dungeon Master to TAME and BREED them.  Anyone can TRAIN them.  Their already tamed.  Trust me...i have an army of war cheetahs ;)
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 11:24:36 am »

Most war animals suck at killing, don't expect them to do much but chase off animals and catch thieves for you.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 11:46:56 am »

Most war animals suck at killing, don't expect them to do much but chase off animals and catch thieves for you.

true dat.  the only way you can expect them to get any real kills is if you have a metric f*ck ton following a single guy and having them dog pile a single target.  Also, the fact that all creatures with teeth suck atm doesnt help XD
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Nameless One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 02:14:49 pm »

False.  You need a Dungeon Master to TAME and BREED them.  Anyone can TRAIN them.  Their already tamed.  Trust me...i have an army of war cheetahs ;)

I tried to set my kennels to train a war animal and it reported that no animals could be trained. Should I let my tame wolf and cougar out of their cages in order for this to work?

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 02:58:26 pm »

Your tame animals have to be uncaged and unchained in order to be trained.

Also for future refference. You can replace the [pet_exotic] with just [pet] and add [trainable] to the raws of any wild animal you catch without having to regen.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 04:12:30 pm »

Kennels only work with the "train" ability when your creatures aren't in cages...

I discovered this the hard way while putting every puppy into one cage in order to increase my framerate.

The game kept reporting to me that I had dogs, but I'd get the same error message upon trying to train them.

And yes, I know someone beat me to it, ha ha, but I thought I'd throw that in there as well.  Caged animals, it seems, are off-limits to the kennels...

I just wonder if the same is true for milking creatures.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

Nameless One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 04:25:11 pm »

Cougars and wolves aren't TRAINABLE anyway :(

I think milking works with animals in cages, but I like to keep mine on chains to let them reproduce.

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 04:30:38 pm »

Well, the only animals I put in cages are the "unowned" ones.  So, I still have the increasing population of animals, even though I've got a bunch in cages.

I just don't like a ton of animals pathing all over the place, or even pathing while on chains.  So, I designate them all for a single cage, set the cage up, make the cage a room, and go about my day.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!