Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 264972 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #2985 on: August 14, 2011, 02:18:37 pm »

@HLBeta: Really? Cool! With how poor my characters usually stay, looks like fast-travel won't even be an ever-tempting option for me. :P (Impulse spender, both in games and RL) But mountains will obviously play a big part in Skyrim, but for that exact reason I'm guessing they'll be a bit fancier than the Oblivion version.
Actually, in a preview I read on Gamespy just today, the guy was saying how he was climbing a mountain that was in his way... Don't remember quite what he said, but he ended up falling to his death jumping between some rocks.
...Damnit, now I want a rock-climbing system. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: August 14, 2011, 02:20:49 pm »

Considering mountains were ugly blobs in the distance (seriously, in its time, that game looked good. Except for the mountains), it doesn't take much to out-fancy them.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: August 14, 2011, 02:45:05 pm »

Well, yeah. But I mean, with them being such a prominent part of Skyrim, they'd damn well want to be good!
Booze is Life for Yoink

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: August 14, 2011, 04:33:54 pm »

You guys were expecting Oblivion to revolutionize it's genre; that's something you should never expect. Yes, it happens, like how Minecraft revolutionized it's own genre, but it's not something you should go into a game expecting. There is no higher bar that you can realistically set for a game.

Oblivion, coming from someone who had no idea what it was when I bought it, was a game I will never forget. I loved it so much. It was the first buy for me that kept me busy for months; how open the game was amazed me and the customization options blew me away. To be honest, I don't care that you couldn't levitate. I don't care that the non-mammalian races had all-too-humanoid bodyparts. What I cared about was the game; was Oblivion a good game? Yes. Was it better then Morrowind? Yes.

Maybe it wasn't the step up that you guy's were accustomed too; the change between Daggerfall and Morrowind was immense, yes, but only because technology was moving faster then ever before. Let me tell you, things have slowed down; you probably won't be seeing the quantum leaps that were changes in games back in the 80s and 90s.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: August 14, 2011, 05:11:38 pm »

You guys were expecting Oblivion to revolutionize it's genre; that's something you should never expect. Yes, it happens, like how Minecraft revolutionized it's own genre, but it's not something you should go into a game expecting. There is no higher bar that you can realistically set for a game.

Oblivion, coming from someone who had no idea what it was when I bought it, was a game I will never forget. I loved it so much. It was the first buy for me that kept me busy for months; how open the game was amazed me and the customization options blew me away. To be honest, I don't care that you couldn't levitate. I don't care that the non-mammalian races had all-too-humanoid bodyparts. What I cared about was the game; was Oblivion a good game? Yes. Was it better then Morrowind? Yes.

Maybe it wasn't the step up that you guy's were accustomed too; the change between Daggerfall and Morrowind was immense, yes, but only because technology was moving faster then ever before. Let me tell you, things have slowed down; you probably won't be seeing the quantum leaps that were changes in games back in the 80s and 90s.
...what are you talking about?

All my assumptions were based on their own demonstration videos. I wasn't expecting a genre revolution, I was mostly expecting some of the best parts of Daggerfall and Morrowind and an AI that could finally rival 1994's Ultima 7. They weren't there, though. They took some of the worst parts (like repetetive dungeons from Daggerfall and storyline linearity from Morrowind) and added their own (like minigames and a monotonous, slow and boring melee combat system).

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2990 on: August 14, 2011, 05:36:45 pm »

Did you read his post? He's saying that going into the game without expectations, he found Oblivion to be an awesome experience and that your own expectations soured it for you.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: August 14, 2011, 05:39:07 pm »

Did you read his post? He's saying that going into the game without expectations, he found Oblivion to be an awesome experience and that your own expectations soured it for you.
Nobody mentioned anything about revolutionizing a genre, though. And he's saying Morrowind was worse. I don't see what expectations have to do with comparison to another game.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: August 14, 2011, 06:04:53 pm »

You seriously see nothing wrong with removing a feature that's been characteristic of the TES series since the very begininng? And it wasn't there because "the magic system was broken", it was there because it was a neat feature and it was neat to create your own spells. The magic system may've been overpowered because of it, but it made the TES series more unique compared to the average fantasy game. Now it's being removed so that TES can better follow the current fantasy trends of dragons, dual-wielding and crafting, apparently.

To me this is just the next step in simplifying the magic system. The only redeeming quality about it is that at least you can still combine 2 spell effects.

I'm done arguing about it, it's clear it'll get us nowhere.

No use arguing with him. He has started chanting GOTY GOTY all over again while foaming from the mouth.
He probably thought that Oblivion was the best thing ever done to the series too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: August 14, 2011, 06:12:39 pm »

Hey, I certainly prefer Oblivion to Morrowind, discounting graphics. Morrowind was horribly buggy, I wasn't too fond of the setting, and the storyline and gameplay didn't seem very exciting at all.
But then, many people love Morrowind, so that's just my opinion.
As for revolutionizing the genre, no I don't think it'll do that, but the genre is pretty much dead in terms of games coming out.
Booze is Life for Yoink

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: August 14, 2011, 06:17:39 pm »

I went into Oblivion with expectations built by Morrowind. And they were pretty thoroughly violated by the time I was done. None of the systems were as finessed or designed to last. The caves were one stupid copty/pasta job after another. So were the Aeylid Ruins. So were the ruined forts. So was [every other set piece used in Oblivion]. The vast majority of quests were forgettable, and more effort went into the first batch of quests you do in the main city (other than the Guild quests) than anything else, that going through the middle part of the game and its content must have been the most boring thing I did in that game. The Oblivion Gates, ostensibly the whole focus of the story line, where literally just another kind of mini-dungeon with the same routine every time.

Oblivion came out years and years ago, and by now we have plenty more to compare it to. How about Fallout 3? Which was even more of a train wreck mechanically than Oblivion. Or New Vegas, which is still a mechanical train wreck but at least the stories don't suck? Did it ever strike anyone as slightly wrong that Bethesda was able to graft its own Stat/Skill system to Fallout's systems in a snap, that the difference between Oblivion and Fallout mechanics is almost in name only?

It has diddly to do with our expectations and much to do with our now decade long experience with Bethesda. There is absolutely no reason ANYONE who has played Morrowind --> Oblivion --> Fallout --> New Vegas should be expecting revolutionary things out of Skryim, and they should be expecting a fair dose of "How my game got simple."

Seriously. Bethesda only cares about your first two hours of game. Beyond that, they don't care if every single system from the leveling curves to the gear distribution falls off the rails. You bought the game, you'll mod it. All they care about is whether or not you got enough in your first two hours of play NOT to run out to the internet to flame the shit out of them.

Hey, I certainly prefer Oblivion to Morrowind, discounting graphics. Morrowind was horribly buggy, I wasn't too fond of the setting, and the storyline and gameplay didn't seem very exciting at all.
But then, many people love Morrowind, so that's just my opinion.

I agree. Expect that Morrowind was designed to last. Oblivion was designed to be "finished" in a few days. Fallout 3 was even worse in that regard.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:24:59 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: August 14, 2011, 06:19:04 pm »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2996 on: August 14, 2011, 06:24:55 pm »

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: August 14, 2011, 08:55:44 pm »

People showing or voicing dislike of something does not equal being a dick about it just because said thing happen to be something you like.
Love, scriver~

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: August 14, 2011, 08:58:30 pm »

Wow.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201