Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265309 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #2835 on: August 08, 2011, 08:42:10 am »

When I mentioned phalanxes, that was just to demonstrate how long a spear can be while still usable. You can have anything in between a short spear and that, to the point of getting something that'd work best.

I guess that's one way a sword could be useful, simply because you could hold a shield to (attempt to) deal with that pesky fire-breath.
You can hold a spear and a shield. Even the phalanx soldiers held a shield while holding the 4 foot long spears well enough to stab someone with them. And do I really have to refresh the mental image of 300?

Logically, a spear would catch on fire from the dragon's breath. Metal spears as far as I know are a rarity amongst the Elder Scrolls mythology
The fire wouldn't spread fast enough to burn you (if it burned the part you're holding, then it'd be a bit late to worry about the spear burning) and it certainly would make the spear fall apart right then and there. I don't see what mythology has to do with spear material, though. The ones I held in Morrowind looked full metal to me.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: August 08, 2011, 09:02:58 am »

Logically, a spear would catch on fire from the dragon's breath. Metal spears as far as I know are a rarity amongst the Elder Scrolls mythology

Its the spear part thats rare not the metal.
70% of the spears were metal in morrowind

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2837 on: August 08, 2011, 09:18:56 am »

To quote The Daggerfall manual: People who play role-playing games need more than some pretty graphics and nonstop action to whet their claymores; they want depth and character and wit and drama. They want the thickest, most involving novel that they've ever read translated to their 15" screen, with themselves as the hero. That's what I love about people who play role-playing games. They're so reasonable.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: August 08, 2011, 09:27:10 am »

To quote The Daggerfall manual: People who play role-playing games need more than some pretty graphics and nonstop action to whet their claymores; they want depth and character and wit and drama. They want the thickest, most involving novel that they've ever read translated to their 15" screen, with themselves as the hero. That's what I love about people who play role-playing games. They're so reasonable.
This is action adventure game territory now. And after Oblivion and Fallout 3, the chances of a good story and/or decent writing are near zero.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: August 08, 2011, 09:41:57 am »

Well...

Fighting a dragon...

First I would try to disable its flying advantage, so it can't run away.. If it was losing. Otherwise I would go for a spear or some other piercing weapon, however a powerful sword could do it. Also a couple of catapults would be extremely useful. Really, the way to fight a dragon varies depending on the game itself.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: August 08, 2011, 11:02:32 am »

Well...

Fighting a dragon...

First I would try to disable its flying advantage, so it can't run away.. If it was losing. Otherwise I would go for a spear or some other piercing weapon, however a powerful sword could do it. Also a couple of catapults would be extremely useful. Really, the way to fight a dragon varies depending on the game itself.

Paralysis spell is as over powered as always. Only this time its gonna glitch even more.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: August 08, 2011, 11:07:18 am »

I hope you aren't the Dragonborn from the start, but out the become the Dragonborn.

Disconfirmed already, Howard says in his live demo that you are "born with the soul of a dragon".

Paralysis spell is as over powered as always. Only this time its gonna glitch even more.

Heh. Wait until dragon is over water, cast paralysis on it, giggle with glee as you watch it drown.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: August 08, 2011, 11:14:09 am »

I hope you aren't the Dragonborn from the start, but out the become the Dragonborn.

Disconfirmed already, Howard says in his live demo that you are "born with the soul of a dragon".

Heh. Wait until dragon is over water, cast paralysis on it, giggle with glee as you watch it drown.

If I remember correctly NPCs(or monsters) do not drown. In fact they are unfazed by water. The only thing that would happen would be that the dragon will start flying right back up OR the game will crash.
Just like how they say it, If you cannot fix it then make it crash.

TheDecline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: August 08, 2011, 12:35:38 pm »

Why are we fighting dragons if the hero has the soul of a dragon ?

the best thing to do surley is to ally the said dragin and ride its back to toast and glory!

And so we go on with our lives
we know the turth, but prefer lies
lies are simple....simple is bliss

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: August 08, 2011, 12:48:02 pm »

You absorb superpowers from every dragon you kill.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: August 08, 2011, 12:48:33 pm »

Technically, all people have souls of "dragons". ;D
Love, scriver~

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: August 08, 2011, 06:08:59 pm »

Concerning all the in-depth descriptions of how people would go about fighting dragons before complaning that they won't be able to do as such:

Stop it. You're being absurdly demanding. In order to give you the option of doing all the things that you want to do, it would require the game to be more complicated than DF - and I'm not talking about the 31% complete version that we have now. I'm talking about the 1.0 version that'll take another twenty years to come.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: August 08, 2011, 06:23:01 pm »

I think people are just nervous about one of their most anticipated games of 2011 turning out badly due to x, y, and z. There's little more to talk about at this point than possible shortcomings and dream implementations, which is understandable, happens with every major game release. Just wait for the storm of feces to roll in when it's finally out! I don't know if I'm more excited to watch the waves of critics/fans frantically spill their thoughts or to play the game myself.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: August 08, 2011, 06:24:41 pm »

Bethseda, whatever others may say, makes good games.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: August 08, 2011, 06:39:25 pm »

Bethseda, whatever others may say, makes good games.
And at the end of the day weither a game is truely GOOD or not comes down to one simple question.
Did you enjoy playing it?
Becouse, in the end, that's all that matters. Haveing fun and enjoying yourself, different people have different tastes on what is fun or enjoyable and that's fair.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 201