Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265358 times)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #2820 on: August 08, 2011, 07:10:24 am »

I'd imagine any villages being destroyed by dragons will be part of the main-quest or perhaps a large secondary-quest.

I've spent too much time thinking about this already but 1v1 against a dragon is silly in so many ways. Perhaps a group of warriors with spears would be the best bet. Having to form a small band, knowing some of you would die, and going out hunting dragons like a pack would be interesting. There'd be room for someone ranged and someone with magic too perhaps.
This is why the original games where you could fight dragons involved haveing a group of people, usually other players, to aid you. I still say spears is a bad idea against something that even with a spear has a longer reach and can breath fire at you.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: August 08, 2011, 07:12:41 am »

I'll be the first to admit I love spears, but Phylanx Spears, the ones shown there, are usually well over 4 feet long, there is no 'skill' that will make THAT usuable in a one on one fight, the length of it with the weight  of it(note, if made of wood it would bend and be useless, so it would need to be made of metal) would make it stupidly easy to knock away, this isn't some Kung Fu or Bullet Time thing, it's the fact a spear that long and heavy is just plain unweildy.

I, personilly, don't differenciate between Good and Cool Good. If I see something I really like, I call it Cool. Such as the Dweamer Ruins.

Meh. I know spears are easy to dodge but we aren't talking about some human here. We are talking about a huge dragon. Also spears could be very easy and nice addition to game(Do small damage with high crit change and high range).

Also, you were talking about a different type of cool. Cool is of many type but what we are talking about here is Awesome cool and interesting cool. Awesome cool is something you use when you watch one of the cutscenes in DMC 3 whereas the interesting cool is something which you exclaim when you see some kind of scenery in SotC prior to fapping to it.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: August 08, 2011, 07:17:11 am »

Dragons, in most fantasy I've encountered, are usually smart enough to see something, like a 4 foot or longer spear, and knock it out of the way with their claws. They are not often represented as just an animal, and even then never a stupid animal. They are usually atleast smart for animals. Consitering the physical power behind a dragon 'knocking away' said spear would likely rip it out of your grasp and send it flying.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: August 08, 2011, 07:23:09 am »

Dragons, in most fantasy I've encountered, are usually smart enough to see something, like a 4 foot or longer spear, and knock it out of the way with their claws. They are not often represented as just an animal, and even then never a stupid animal. They are usually atleast smart for animals. Consitering the physical power behind a dragon 'knocking away' said spear would likely rip it out of your grasp and send it flying.

They are smart enough to knock out a spear yet not burn down a village or crush a building?
This sure is some selective smartness they have going there.
Also could you give an example so that I can stop thinking that you are talking out of your ass about the whole "most fantasy"?

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: August 08, 2011, 07:26:01 am »

That's compairing a gameplay mechanic to a discussion about what 'realisticly' would be the best weapon to fight a dragon, that makes no sense.

Lord of the Rings.
Dungeons and Dragons.
Elder Scrolls-Lore
Not sure on the officall name but the Joust Trilogy has animal intelligence dragons, but smart animals.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: August 08, 2011, 07:28:36 am »

That's compairing a gameplay mechanic to a discussion about what 'realisticly' would be the best weapon to fight a dragon, that makes no sense.

Lord of the Rings.
Dungeons and Dragons.
Elder Scrolls-Lore
Not sure on the officall name but the Joust Trilogy has animal intelligence dragons, but smart animals.

We have been talking about game logic for so much long. Man were you even paying attention?
Also, if the dragon is smart enough to steal your weapon then might as well just grab you and throw you off eh? Or is he not intelligent enough now?

Oh and just checked the wiki,there is no mention of elder scrolls lore having smart dragons that could pick specifically your spear and throw it away.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 07:30:27 am by Vibhor »

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: August 08, 2011, 07:31:57 am »

When did I say steal your weapon? I said knock it away. As in reach out, smack in sideways direction. And throw you off what? unless you're on him, and let's not get into a discussion about weither or not a dragon's legs would be physically capable of reaching their back,  or near a cliff there is nothing to throw you off of.

Also I've noticed two different discussions happening at the same time. One on gameplay mechanics, one on the best 'realistic' way to fight a dragon.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: August 08, 2011, 07:34:59 am »

When did I say steal your weapon? I said knock it away. As in reach out, smack in sideways direction. And throw you off what? unless you're on him, and let's not get into a discussion about weither or not a dragon's legs would be physically capable of reaching their back,  or near a cliff there is nothing to throw you off of.

Also I've noticed two different discussions happening at the same time. One on gameplay mechanics, one on the best 'realistic' way to fight a dragon.

ARGHGHGHGH!
I really hate when this happen. With the word steal I meant that the weapon no longer belonged to you afterwords. Also, dragons have wings. Wings enable flight, flight enables height and height enables death.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: August 08, 2011, 07:45:24 am »

I was going to bring that up as my next point as to why argueing over 'spears vs swords' makes no sense, since dragons can fly and breath fire makeing melee weapons as a whole useless, so I'm glad to see we agree on something.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: August 08, 2011, 08:11:49 am »

I think, to engage a dragon in melee one would have to be either incredibly brave, rather daft, or perhaps just desperate. But, once you're committed to fighting a dragon in close combat, a spear or other polearm would probably be the best choice, being able to pierce chinks between scales, as well as having longer reach. Of course, a sword would get extra cool points...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: August 08, 2011, 08:14:33 am »

They have a longer range even with a spear, the reach does you no good. Logicly the best weapon to fight one with, if you had to do so in melee, would be a dagger. Small and you can use it to get under the scales if you're careful.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: August 08, 2011, 08:18:39 am »

Um... Not really. See, a dagger would require you to be basically touching the dragon...
I'm not saying a spear would make you the equal of a dragon in combat, not reach-wise or otherwise, but if you managed to get close enough without dying you could drive the spear into some less-armoured part of the dragon.
Also, if it was lunging fowards to bite you, with a bit of luck you could use its own momentum to drive the spear through its eye or something.
Of course, managing to fight a dragon is problematic anyway, what with the fiery breath and massive size and all.
I guess that's one way a sword could be useful, simply because you could hold a shield to (attempt to) deal with that pesky fire-breath.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

zakkeh

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: August 08, 2011, 08:19:58 am »

Logically, a spear would catch on fire from the dragon's breath. Metal spears as far as I know are a rarity amongst the Elder Scrolls mythology
Or perhaps you're just sadistic and enjoy slow-cooking your goblins/kittens/nobles.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2833 on: August 08, 2011, 08:26:54 am »

Going back to the plot, one thing I'm hoping for is the greyness of your nature like Morrowind had. See, in Morrowind you aren't the Nerevarine. You are one who may become the Nerevarine. That's a common theme in The Elder Scrolls, "Walk like them until they must walk like you". It's a nice revamp of the concept of The Chosen One.

Likewise, in Skyrim you play "Dragonborn" which is a term used in older games to refer to several figures in history, agents of massive change. So again, I hope they follow the "walk like them" idea where you aren't the Dragonborn from the start, but out the become the Dragonborn.

Also the Dragons in the game are basically Angels, servants of the god of time who it seems occasionally decides he wants to eat the world. So it'll be interesting to see how they handle all that.

But hey, it's plot that usually sells me on a game xD
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 08:30:16 am by MorleyDev »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: August 08, 2011, 08:37:44 am »

Well, if DF taught us anything, then THE way to deal with a dragon in melee is "Shield + something", unless you're good enough to sneak up on it with a zweihander, for instance. Otherwise, you're going to need that shield to block whatever ranged attacks it does as well as the occasional claw/tail swipe. Since swords are the most common and versatile one-handed weapon (one of the most common and versatile, at least), you're going to see lots of sword+shield combinations amongst dragon-fighters. Swords are also the hardest weapon type to intentionally break - unlike a spear, that, despite its fearsome reach, is usually one-two feet of stabbing and six to eight feet of stick, a sword blade has no "safe" areas that can be grabbed. If a dragon grabs your sword with its claw and you don't let go, chances are the only damage will be done to the dragon.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 201