Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265398 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #2805 on: August 08, 2011, 02:33:45 am »

That video made me pokerface so hard.
:|

##   ##
   ##   ##

#########

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: August 08, 2011, 02:36:26 am »

The crowd did have a good point: Can you actually burn down the villages? Can the dragons? :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: August 08, 2011, 03:01:02 am »

The crowd did have a good point: Can you actually burn down the villages? Can the dragons? :P
No
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: August 08, 2011, 03:06:43 am »

That video made me pokerface so hard.

You sure about that?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: August 08, 2011, 03:31:39 am »

Still probably going to buy it, might even preorder yet. If the game's a disappointment, there's always mods.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: August 08, 2011, 04:06:24 am »

Still probably going to buy it, might even preorder yet. If the game's a disappointment, there's always mods.

You can't generally mod shitty AI into a whole new engine.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: August 08, 2011, 04:14:59 am »

You can't generally mod shitty AI into a whole new engine.

Nor can the UI be modded.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: August 08, 2011, 05:00:15 am »

Fix it? Maybe not. Worth it?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: August 08, 2011, 06:06:02 am »

You're also forgetting that spears can be really effing long and still somehow usable, so you could fight a dragon beyond its melee range.

Oh come on, that weapon is only usable in a tight block of men. If you tried fighting a dragon (or even a human) with that on your own, he'd just swat the tip aside and walk right past it, at which point your weapon would become useless.

I doubt most people would look at long dead mezopotamian-looking elves and their clunky, rusty machinery and think "cool!".

I guess I'm in the minority, then, because I think the Dwemer were the absolute best part about MW. Especially so for the way the authors used them to refresh and revitalize the dwarf archetype.

Also, for another example of where strictly following the "rule of cool" fails hard, see The Force Unleashed.

Oh I beg to differ, The Force Unleashed was an excellent game.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: August 08, 2011, 06:57:30 am »

1. Enter an interior cell, heal up, exit back out, chip away at the dragon's massive HP, repeat.
2. Utterly flummox the dragon's AI by hiding behind a pillar.

I'm stunned that the dragon didn't simply go "You know, that's a remarkably stupid thing to do." in both cases, and in #1 crush the building you went or light it on fire if it's flammable, and in #2 just push the pillar down on top of you (and you had better get out of the way when it starts doing it). It is a dragon, after all. If they're going to put dragons in the game, they should at least make them not be monumentally stupid.

Stunned? Look, it's not a real dragon. It's a model of a dragon scripted to behave a bit like a dragon. It is physically impossible for it to crush a building, unless the building also has a script that tells it how to be crushed. And light something on fire? I don't think that's really feasible with today's technology. Gamemakers today are struggling with making static fire effects look pretty. The ability to set any object on fire could easily carry a game by itself. Rebrand the game as "The Elder Scrolls V: Burninator" and make it about the Dragonborn burning down everything.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: August 08, 2011, 06:59:04 am »

Also, for another example of where strictly following the "rule of cool" fails hard, see The Force Unleashed.

And with that comment alone you have lost all validity in my mind, sorry but true.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: August 08, 2011, 06:59:36 am »

Oh come on, that weapon is only usable in a tight block of men. If you tried fighting a dragon (or even a human) with that on your own, he'd just swat the tip aside and walk right past it, at which point your weapon would become useless.
Thats where skill plays in. This is not a kung fu movie. Spears are outright deadly weapons if you are slow and wearing armor that restricts all bullet time movement.

I guess I'm in the minority, then, because I think the Dwemer were the absolute best part about MW. Especially so for the way the authors used them to refresh and revitalize the dwarf archetype.
They were good but weren't "Cool!" good. They were interesting in their own sense not in "Cool!" sense.

That is subjective but considering its flaws, it would be called an excellent game but rather a good game. Excellent takes it too far.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: August 08, 2011, 07:03:12 am »

Stunned? Look, it's not a real dragon. It's a model of a dragon scripted to behave a bit like a dragon. It is physically impossible for it to crush a building, unless the building also has a script that tells it how to be crushed. And light something on fire? I don't think that's really feasible with today's technology. Gamemakers today are struggling with making static fire effects look pretty. The ability to set any object on fire could easily carry a game by itself. Rebrand the game as "The Elder Scrolls V: Burninator" and make it about the Dragonborn burning down everything.

Everything you mentioned was possible. The only reason it doesn't exist because you think it doesn't exist. You know before far cry people thought that out door environments were completely unfeasable and could not exist on such technology but then came farcry and BAM everyone was stunned.
Also, didn't the hype of the game included the fact that dragons acted realistically? I am pretty sure not being able to crush a cottage with your 2 ton body is realistic. Fuck it isn't even fantasy realistic.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: August 08, 2011, 07:05:47 am »

Thats where skill plays in. This is not a kung fu movie. Spears are outright deadly weapons if you are slow and wearing armor that restricts all bullet time movement.

They were good but weren't "Cool!" good. They were interesting in their own sense not in "Cool!" sense.
I'll be the first to admit I love spears, but Phylanx Spears, the ones shown there, are usually well over 4 feet long, there is no 'skill' that will make THAT usuable in a one on one fight, the length of it with the weight  of it(note, if made of wood it would bend and be useless, so it would need to be made of metal) would make it stupidly easy to knock away, this isn't some Kung Fu or Bullet Time thing, it's the fact a spear that long and heavy is just plain unweildy.

I, personilly, don't differenciate between Good and Cool Good. If I see something I really like, I call it Cool. Such as the Dweamer Ruins.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: August 08, 2011, 07:07:50 am »

I'd imagine any villages being destroyed by dragons will be part of the main-quest or perhaps a large secondary-quest.

I've spent too much time thinking about this already but 1v1 against a dragon is silly in so many ways. Perhaps a group of warriors with spears would be the best bet. Having to form a small band, knowing some of you would die, and going out hunting dragons like a pack would be interesting. There'd be room for someone ranged and someone with magic too perhaps.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 201