Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265471 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #2715 on: August 06, 2011, 08:03:16 pm »

Overgrowth is a completely different custom engine for a different style of game.

Gee, so it has an engine that suits its needs. Any reason why Skyrim shouldn't have that?

The engine is also made solely to handle those legs, I imagine placing a humanoid without those legs would produce bizarre results that would require either a semi-sloppy attached code to handle different legs or a rewrite to increase flexibility at the cost of everything taking longer to develop.

Nnnnope.
In fact, you can make and rig custom skeletons on-the-fly from inside the game just by cliking on the character model. And the animations just work with them. I mean, holy shit.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 08:26:08 pm by Sordid »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: August 06, 2011, 08:04:27 pm »

You are facing something bigger. You want a longer weapon so that you're not at a distance disadvantage. You want a polearm. Simple, no? And in a game where the central theme is dragons, you'd expect to fight dragons. Like something bigger than you. To put it in more realistic terms, what melee weapon would a footman want to wield against cavalry?

Humans are the norm for protagonists and "fantasy races", hence the further away from that (anatomically, culturally, etc.), the more unique it gets.

I'm fighting a dragon. No, I don't want a spear. I want customizable magic so I can hit him with whatever he's weakest to from a safe range, and make him weaker to that effect as well, or possibly paralyze his wings and mouth, make him fall out of the sky, and be unable to use his breath weapon or wing buffet due to the paralysis. (You'd kind of expect dragons to be able to use magic themselves and possibly counteract what you're trying to do, though)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: August 06, 2011, 08:19:04 pm »

I'm fighting a dragon. No, I don't want a spear. I want customizable magic so I can hit him with whatever he's weakest to from a safe range, and make him weaker to that effect as well, or possibly paralyze his wings and mouth, make him fall out of the sky, and be unable to use his breath weapon or wing buffet due to the paralysis. (You'd kind of expect dragons to be able to use magic themselves and possibly counteract what you're trying to do, though)

Yeah, so basically you'd like to stand still, wave your hands in the air, and mumble incomprehensible words.
I, on the other hand, want to grab onto the dragon as he swoops down at me, desperately cling on for dear life as he tumbles through the air, and then drive my sword into a vulnerable chink in his scaly armor, knocking him out of the sky. (Yes, I realize that's more of a puzzle game than anything else, and it has an incredibly specialized engine, but it's the only game I've ever played that handled combat against a vastly larger opponent in any other way than a) as a series of quicktime events or b) by chipping away at its hitpoints for half an hour.)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 08:25:25 pm by Sordid »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: August 06, 2011, 08:30:34 pm »

Nnnnope.
In fact, you can make and rig custom skeletons on-the-fly from inside the game just by cliking on the character model. And the animations just work with them. I mean, holy shit.
Egg on my face, this is impressive.

I still stay with my stances, and really the legs are a small enough detail that does not contradict the lore to make the whole fight over it just nitpicking.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #2719 on: August 06, 2011, 08:39:25 pm »

For every new detail released on Skyrim I die a little inside.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: August 06, 2011, 09:04:18 pm »

I, on the other hand, want to grab onto the dragon as he swoops down at me, desperately cling on for dear life as he tumbles through the air, and then drive my sword into a vulnerable chink in his scaly armor, knocking him out of the sky. (Yes, I realize that's more of a puzzle game than anything else, and it has an incredibly specialized engine, but it's the only game I've ever played that handled combat against a vastly larger opponent in any other way than a) as a series of quicktime events or b) by chipping away at its hitpoints for half an hour.)

That is impressive.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: August 06, 2011, 09:20:31 pm »

I still stay with my stances, and really the legs are a small enough detail that does not contradict the lore to make the whole fight over it just nitpicking.

I suppose you're right. I guess it comes down to a difference in preference. I'm willing to forgive a lot in terms of technical imperfections if the game has the right feel. Atmosphere. Immersion. Whatever you want to call it. The legs are a small detail, but small details like that make or break that, at least for me.

That is impressive.

Unfortunately, you can't play it, at least not looking like that. It's a PS2 game and therefore runs at a much lower resolution on its native system. That footage is from an emulator, but I happen to have a pretty powerful computer and I can't run it anywhere near as smoothly as that even at a much lower resolution. That clip must've been taken on an absolute beast of a machine.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2722 on: August 06, 2011, 10:54:00 pm »

I thought ICO and SoTC were being re-released on PS3?

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: August 06, 2011, 11:05:59 pm »

Oblivion removed digitigrade feet and the animations were still shit.

My point is that they could've put in digitigrade races or spears instead of doing dual-wielding at all. Prioritizing dual-wielding shows that they're focusing more on doing "cool shit" for action gamers over doing things that'd be practical or things that'd add uniqueness. This is fantasy for people who want to be Legolas rather than fantasy for people who want to explore an interesting, semi-coherent world.

"Hey, there's something big attacking us! Dragons! Pull out the heavy crossbows and polearms!"
"Screw that! Let's dual-wield one-handed axes!"
"...what?"
"We'll attack them as they attempt to enter the city through the gates!"
"...what???"

I don't mind that approach to be honest. If a game attempts to be realistic/plausible (and I do enjoy this types of games a lot), then I expect it to stick to it, but honestly, wild and crazy games are fun to me too. If they aren't going to try and make everything plausible, I'd rather the ability to do crazy shit that looks awesome...

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: August 06, 2011, 11:10:41 pm »

I thought ICO and SoTC were being re-released on PS3?

You're right, I forgot about that.
Okay, if you want to play SOTC looking that good, you'll need to either buy a supercomputer or a PS3.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: August 07, 2011, 01:34:51 am »

Skyrim QuakeCon Demo Down.

New link

Video freezes at around the 25 minute mark, audio about a minute later. Both come back around the 28 minute mark but they're out of sync.

HD version was taken down.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 01:15:13 pm by Jehdin »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: August 07, 2011, 02:06:53 am »

They say in that that they're going to upload the thing themselves, but the video on the front page on www.elderscrolls.com doesn't even work (or exist?). O_o

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: August 07, 2011, 02:15:38 am »

They say in that that they're going to upload the thing themselves, but the video on the front page on www.elderscrolls.com doesn't even work (or exist?). O_o

Video on their site is just the trailer. As far as I know, they haven't uploaded their version yet. Perhaps they're waiting until after QuakeCon is over.

Tasticka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: August 07, 2011, 04:50:08 am »

I've just played Morrowind for a while. Then compared it to my Oblivion experience. Then I have compared it with Skyrim gameplay videos and the charter of content.
Anybody saw Oblivion in Skyrim's combat mechanics?
I am so doubtful about Skyrim now.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #2729 on: August 07, 2011, 05:34:05 am »

Seeing that video has raised even more doubt for me. A lot of the stuff they added in as "features" just seems like unnecessary gimmicky crap. The new inventory looks even MORE annoying than Oblivion's too. Tabs within tabs within tabs within some weird directional thing.

Not to mention that the demo is pretty much exactly the same as this older one from two months ago. He even uses the same "finishing move" on that one guy in the dungeon while he was dual-wielding.

That dragon statue thing looks pretty damn awesome, but holy fuck the collector's edition is expensive.
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 201