Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265601 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #2625 on: August 05, 2011, 04:52:24 pm »

In other news, Bethesda threatens to sue Notch over the use of the word "Scrolls".

I think they should also suing Microsoft over having scrollbars in their OS and every keyboard manufacturer ever for having a scroll lock button.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: August 05, 2011, 05:00:02 pm »

Well fuck.
It had view lock? All this time I've been playing it like fucking Riven.

God do I feel retarded now.

Esc -> Controls -> Mouse -> View mode. The obvious downside is that now you have no cursor, but you can either use the Activate Cursor key to toggle it or just learn the keyboard shortcuts (of which there aren't that many, to be honest). For things like levers and doors that you would normally activate with your cursor, the center of the screen acts as the cursor. You just look at stuff and press the Activate Object key (which I've personally set to a mouse button).
You can pretty much have a standard modern WASD setup if you fiddle with the controls a bit, the only annoyance is that you can only move either straight or sideways, you can't sidestep while moving forward.

What? The diffect attack directions have different damage dealing amounts and accuracy. It's not a monsterous difference, but it is there.

Really? I've never noticed any difference.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: August 05, 2011, 05:05:18 pm »

The biggest difference is between stabing and overhead slashing, the pure accuracy and pure power attack motions in Daggerfall. But the difference can be hard to notice, though for me it's easier to notice at lower levels when you such at hitting things anyway, you'll notice yourself hitting more with stabbing.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: August 05, 2011, 05:33:13 pm »

If you hold down the attack button with a melee weapon, you trigger a powerful attack that is often accompanied by a cool animation.

Translation: "Hold attack button to pirouette."

I then made my way into the farmhouse, which only took a couple of seconds to load.

Translation: "Interior-exterior transitions are not seamless; loading screens galore."

When I approached the gates of the city, the guard told me, "the city is closed with the dragons about."

Translation: "The writing is still shit, to the point where the developers expect us to accept that a dragon would attack a city by walking through the gates."

The loading takes a bit longer when entering a big city like Whiterun

Translation: "Exterior-exterior transitions are not seamless either, walled cities make a return due to technical limitations of a piece of junk that was shit even when it was new six years ago."

To avoid imprisonment I paid a 44 gold fine.

Translation: "There are still no real consequences for your actions, your criminal record can be wiped clean by paying a few coins." And I fully expect dropping stolen items before being apprehended will again utterly flummox the guards, who will fail to secure them even though you're standing quite literally right on top of them.

Sounds more like an Expansion pack for Oblivion than anything else.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: August 05, 2011, 06:49:26 pm »

In other news, Bethesda threatens to sue Notch over the use of the word "Scrolls".
Hehe. Unless "tillskriva" has another meaning in Swedish Legalese than in regular Swedish, that lawyer started the whole letter with a big mistake. Instead of writing "skriver till", meaning "writing to", he used "tillskriver", making the meaning of the sentence: "I am attributing to you as a representative for the company ZeniMax Media Inc".

Silly pretentious lawyers, trying to use fancy, "high" language and failing.
Love, scriver~

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: August 05, 2011, 07:43:04 pm »

"As in the previous games, the Khajiit have long, humanoid legs and a tail."

...What does that even mean? I want that to mean digitigrade like Morrowind rather than 100% human like Oblivion's but "humanoid" could loosely apply to either. Gah!

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: August 05, 2011, 08:16:31 pm »

"As in the previous games, the Khajiit have long, humanoid legs and a tail."

...What does that even mean? I want that to mean digitigrade like Morrowind rather than 100% human like Oblivion's but "humanoid" could loosely apply to either. Gah!

Considering he said "As in previous games" I would assume it means plantigrade since that's what they had in Arena, Daggerfall and Oblivion. Morrowind was the only one where they had digitigrade.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: August 05, 2011, 08:19:07 pm »

I am... less than pleased with this $60 release pricepoint.
Yes, less than pleased with $60, which most full games, and some expansion packs, sell at now. That makes perfect sense.
Just wait until it's in the bargin bin, patches and mods will be out and it will be cheaper.
Most? Only the most ridiculous AAA titles on consoles and maybe less than a dozen on PC have ever released at $60. I'd be surprised if you could point out two dozen full games on PC that have been released at $60, and I'd be surprised if you could find one expansion pack that cost $60 besides that hilarious train DLC crap.

So uhhh, your post doesn't make any sense.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:20:52 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: August 05, 2011, 08:31:11 pm »

Not sure where you live but the average price of games where I live is $60, not just AAA titles, most games.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: August 05, 2011, 08:31:11 pm »

I am... less than pleased with this $60 release pricepoint.
Yes, less than pleased with $60, which most full games, and some expansion packs, sell at now. That makes perfect sense.
Just wait until it's in the bargin bin, patches and mods will be out and it will be cheaper.
Most? Only the most ridiculous AAA titles on consoles and maybe less than a dozen on PC have ever released at $60. I'd be surprised if you could point out two dozen full games on PC that have been released at $60, and I'd be surprised if you could find one expansion pack that cost $60 besides that hilarious train DLC crap.

So uhhh, your post doesn't make any sense.

I'll accept your first challenge, not going to hit the second one. Here we go.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: August 05, 2011, 08:32:13 pm »

Not sure where you live but the average price of games where I live is $60, not just AAA titles, most games.
We're talking USD. Australian and European is a whole different ballgame.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:35:58 pm by Grakelin »
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: August 05, 2011, 08:34:51 pm »

I'm assumeing USD means 'U.S.Doller' since it fits and I have no idea what it means.
And I live in New York, so if my assumption is correct then we're talking about the same thing.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:38:28 pm by Grakelin »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: August 05, 2011, 08:38:43 pm »

Wow, these examples which include DLC and charge extra for said DLC are really convincing.

$50: Deus Ex: Human Revolution on Amazon, for PC [Edit: What is this extra garbage in the URL... Deleted it]
(You linked to the augmented edition in #4)

(Same with BF3:Limited Edition, although I'm not sure if you can even order it without the Limited Edition stuff yet)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:43:30 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 201