Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265669 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #2565 on: August 04, 2011, 04:07:55 am »

but in morrowind you had to get to the guide. and it was done in such a way that, were you stranded in  swamp, it would take a while of walking to get to...and it was costly also. (in anycase, there even was the spell mark-recall, because of which 90% of glitches in morrowind happened.)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: August 04, 2011, 04:20:33 am »

but in morrowind you had to get to the guide. and it was done in such a way that, were you stranded in  swamp, it would take a while of walking to get to...and it was costly also. (in anycase, there even was the spell mark-recall, because of which 90% of glitches in morrowind happened.)

And that is exactly what they need to do.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2567 on: August 04, 2011, 04:24:45 am »

And that is exactly what they need to do.
hope you're referring to the guide, and not the glitches brought about by a wrongly placed spell. XD
that said, it would add flavour, but lead to the ultimate problem of: "i'm stranded in the middle of a mountain, due to a developpers bug which prevents me from jumping while the game considers i'm falling, so unless i fast travel i can't leave, and woe to me i don't have fly spells nor mark-recall. Oh thee fast travel, where did you go?"
while this is just probably searching for the hair in the egg (il pelo nell'uovo, italian proverb) fast travel can be used to avoid boredom.
and as a developper you have two ways to avoid boredom. either you fill the scenery with interesting things like catacombs, tombs, caves, interesting sceneries...quests...monsters but not too many or it become boring once more, OR you add the fast travel, hoping noone realizes you just copied the same tree over and over on long travels were you hope noone will ever go more than once.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: August 04, 2011, 04:45:01 am »

Not intended to be insulting, but you show me a game developer that makes every tree individually,in a game world of this size and I will show you a bunch people with deep mental issues or far too much time and money.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2569 on: August 04, 2011, 04:51:26 am »

Not intended to be insulting, but you show me a game developer that makes every tree individually,in a game world of this size and I will show you a bunch people with deep mental issues or far too much time and money.

none insult taken, maybe i should have been more clear. i understand trees are pre-renderedbut there "is" variety among the five/six trees taken, and maybe they are placed in such a way that they look different (like, turned of 78 degrees or similar) point is, you want to cut time? instead of making trees (which will be called, A, B, C, D, E) like this: A, B, C, D, E, A, B, C eccetera, one makes AAA, BB, AAA, BB, AAA, or to get even more time for other things A *cntrl+c cntrl+v* AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
and that was teh point, you add fast travel, you place nothing of interest between two cities, the player goes by foot/horse the first time, from there on it's just fast travel, so if the player doesn't realize the first time all trees are A's, he won't bother anymore with it.
effectively the developper got more time for other things. and did less.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: August 04, 2011, 05:15:32 am »

Your explanation makes much more sense than my original understanding of your statement, I concede to you 5 internets and a cookie.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2571 on: August 04, 2011, 05:19:40 am »

Your explanation makes much more sense than my original understanding of your statement, I concede to you 5 internets and a cookie.
*eats cookie*

another thing, fast travel could well be a developper's tool for bug testing, (like GM'S on world of warcraft which spawn fast wherever they are called or viceversa bring the players to them on gm island) and one day a person walked through, saw the testing and said "how nice! fast travel rulez!ONE!O!E!!!" and from there on it entered as an official feature.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: August 04, 2011, 06:13:16 am »

What's the point of sight-seeing when everywhere looks the same? Fast-travel was a God send in Oblivion's vomit-inducing, copy-pasted landscape with no discernible landmarks and nauseating speed-tree foliage.

Mounts could've been useful if they weren't so slow and you could fight on them. You know, something like Mount & Blade. They'd be useful at least for traversing the distance towards an objective. I know I wanted faster means of manual travel when seeking some place in Morrowind. Even in Daggerfall they had some use, as they let you have a cart and thus carry a magnitude more loot, and the cities were large enough that that extra speed really helped. In Oblivion they were totally useless. At one point my character could run faster than the fastest horse, except controlling him wasn't so awkward.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: August 04, 2011, 09:23:06 am »

Well, I did say when I first played it... After a while, yes, it didn't look so great.
But I used it as an example, a game with an interesting landscape, worth exploring, doesn't really need fast-travel.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2574 on: August 04, 2011, 09:56:26 am »

That said, an on-touch spell set to grant water walking and +100 speed can be a wonderful thing for horseriding.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: August 04, 2011, 10:08:43 am »

You're kidding, right?

Fall Out: New Vegas, when compared only to Fall Out 3 (as opposed to the Fall Out series as a whole) was horrible.

Personally, I'd agree with you, but only in the performance department. Frame rates got raped first release, then the unofficial patches appeared, which slightly alleviated the problem, but only slightly. Eventually, the game received it's well deserved official frame rate patch, but compared to fallout 3, it was still slow, and since my main computer isn't up to par with the latest computer hardware, it was slow enough that after 30 minutes, headaches would ensue.

But the game itself was better than FO3 in my opinion, especially after you arrive in vegas, which is practically in the second half of the game.

Regardless of headaches, the game was still a worthy buy for me.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: August 04, 2011, 10:18:07 am »

I never played New Vegas, but I've been meaning to ask one of my friends if he still has his copy.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: August 04, 2011, 11:20:16 am »

I never played New Vegas, but I've been meaning to ask one of my friends if he still has his copy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmQFcVR6vEs

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: August 04, 2011, 11:27:35 am »

To borrow his copy to play on my console?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2579 on: August 04, 2011, 11:29:41 am »

It is not illegal to borrows someone else's legitimate copy of a game.
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 201