Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265889 times)

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #2430 on: July 30, 2011, 10:48:43 am »

Until I got better at gaming, the cliff racers made morrowind impossible to me. God damn cliff racers, every freaking time....

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: July 30, 2011, 12:24:47 pm »

I had an easier time getting into Dwarf Fortress than Morrowind, infact, I never got anywhere far in Morrowind, because ui and controls sucked hard imo.
I also find this extrememly unlikely, but that finding is only on the assumption that you were playing the computer version of the game in english with mods. Could you say what state you found it in?

Until I got better at gaming, the cliff racers made morrowind impossible to me. God damn cliff racers, every freaking time....
So many people agree with this that there are currently a plethora of mods that make wildlife (especially cliffracers) Darwinainly sane. (Edit:) I prefer the ones that have a scale, with normal wildlife at "attack only if cornered then run", diseased wildlife at "attack if too close then run when wounded", and blighted wildlife as they are in the vanilla game.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:27:56 pm by Nivm »
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: July 30, 2011, 12:30:47 pm »

Played Morrowind GOTY on the XBox. Only occasionally crashed when in some of the more intensive addon locations. At a low level I just took public transportation everywhere because even at a low level its cheap, and when I could take down Cliff Racers they ceased to be annoyances but became flying 20 coin sellables in a world filled with clutter and equipment below that price. I know modding makes these games 1000x better why did I not have it on PC blah blah.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: July 30, 2011, 07:09:00 pm »

If they are going to make level scaling like in Oblivion, I'll wait for a mod.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: July 30, 2011, 10:01:15 pm »

I prefer the ones that have a scale, with normal wildlife at "attack only if cornered then run", diseased wildlife at "attack if too close then run when wounded", and blighted wildlife as they are in the vanilla game.

The problem is that their "disease" were in some part due to leveling, so in the end pretty much everything was blighted.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: July 30, 2011, 10:10:04 pm »

Due to the nature of the Blight on the plot one could say the influence of Red Mountain was spreading. Its justified level scaling! Even Oblivion could have pulled that off if the gates only really popped up when you travel around that area at a miniimum level. At first the invasion isnt so urgent so no gates will probably pop up, but dick around with the guilds and after a while youll notice a lot of gates popping up. Its actually a mechanic Im sorta cool with when handled like this because it puts some urgency to the main plot.

Screenies are looking good as always, looking forward to seeing how people will rip them apart.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: July 31, 2011, 01:52:22 am »

Has there been any screens or footage with Argonians at all? I'm curious how they look this time. I think there was some Khajiit shown briefly, though only from torso upwards, so not entirely sure if they've got human-like legs or the Morrowindish ones.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: July 31, 2011, 02:15:49 am »

Well since this has managed 3 pages of flogging the dead and putrid horse it's time for something interesting.

48 Screenies, some new ones and a recap for those joining us late. (It also includes a couple pieces of concept art)

Todd says he won't fuck up the voice acting again.

Yet another gameplay teaser, remixed including stuff I hadn't seen before along with the older footage.

Todd intends not to screw the leveling quite as badly as he did in Oblivion
Aha! Better voice acting. I was thinking like maybe they should give up and return to Morrowind style dialogs :P

We find that most players, even if they run into something hard and we think they should leave, will beat their head against that wall - because they are not a pussy.
Maybe I'm roleplaying a pussy? Seriously though I really want have that "I should level up to face this creature" feeling.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: July 31, 2011, 02:33:44 am »

We find that most players, even if they run into something hard and we think they should leave, will beat their head against that wall - because they are not a pussy.

No, because if in the event i actually manage to get through the hard place i will have delicious loot which in turn lets me skip going through a few easier places, and that it is more exciting than punching rats in the face.
This was possible in morrowind, but not oblivion, and it made morrowind so much more fun.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: July 31, 2011, 04:37:49 am »

You went through OOO, then, did you, Leatra? Was it really fun when the enemy who was tougher than you was at the end of the dungeon? Did you ever actually go back to any of those 95% complete dungeons to beat that last boss and get some sparse loot?
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: July 31, 2011, 05:15:01 am »

You went through OOO, then, did you, Leatra? Was it really fun when the enemy who was tougher than you was at the end of the dungeon? Did you ever actually go back to any of those 95% complete dungeons to beat that last boss and get some sparse loot?
Whenever I got to this point I'd either stand there and take it if the boss was primarily a spellcaster (I played a mage with 100% spell absorption), or kite them all the way to the nearest city and let the guards eventually kill the boss. I've cleared towns of guards with this strategy, it's annoying if they all die before the boss.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: July 31, 2011, 07:28:38 am »

Well, they got the old ash'd Dunmer voice-actor from Morrowind (and Oblivion as marketed), which is cool. So maybe giving Beth the benefit of my doubt on this one seems reasonable.

...because in a sense, Oblivion was too harsh on the player. Todd Howard said in Edge magazine:

"There were definitely points in Oblivion where you rode the roller-coaster of pain, because the world levels up faster than you."
No, Todd, the problem was never that vanilla Oblivion was "too hard" - your ridiculously overabundant distribution of potions made sure of that. The problem was that it was fucking boring.
Love, scriver~

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: July 31, 2011, 10:13:03 am »

Well, they got the old ash'd Dunmer voice-actor from Morrowind (and Oblivion as marketed), which is cool. So maybe giving Beth the benefit of my doubt on this one seems reasonable.

...because in a sense, Oblivion was too harsh on the player. Todd Howard said in Edge magazine:

"There were definitely points in Oblivion where you rode the roller-coaster of pain, because the world levels up faster than you."
No, Todd, the problem was never that vanilla Oblivion was "too hard" - your ridiculously overabundant distribution of potions made sure of that. The problem was that it was fucking boring.

Fcom my good man, Fcom. I must say that that mod really changed oblivion over for me, made it actually kind of challenging. (Okay there were some serious moments where I ran away most valorously but that really just adds to the Fun of the times you get to stand your ground.)

When Skyrim comes out people are going to start the Fcom project all over again, and it will be awesome.

My only wish with potions is that he DOESN'T MAKE THEM INSTANT! I'm cool with healing 2 points of health a second for 120 seconds, but healing 240 health instantly is massively overpowered.  Or at least make it so that instant heal potions also damage your fatigue at the same time as a tiny nod glance at semi-realism.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: July 31, 2011, 10:25:05 am »

You went through OOO, then, did you, Leatra? Was it really fun when the enemy who was tougher than you was at the end of the dungeon?

The funny thing is... that it was. In the abovementioned FCOM (and I think inadventently) I've fought level 20 quasi-unique enemies in random ruins at level 6-7 and won via sufficient tactical considerations and actually using buffs for once (not to mention the bizarre level 80 crusader encounter I mentioned elsewhere, which I also won at level 16). As pitiful as they were, I can only appreciate Bethsoft's attempts to give the player more options than "run forward clicking" (or "back away clicking" in the case of Arena/Daggerfall). I hope that at the very least Skyrim'll have decent pathfinding/a decent AI framework so modders can actually move things forward on that front even if the devs don't (hah, fat chance).

There were also enough dungeons with set/themed loot for coming back to them later to be worthwhile, even in OOO alone. A lot of the major dungeons would have a single glass or daedric armour piece in a chest, and there's at least two dungeons with such gear hidden behind secret doors and whatnot (not to mention the actual themed loot which goes with the new OOO "quests").
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 10:28:18 am by 3 »
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 201