Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265913 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #2415 on: July 29, 2011, 01:06:43 pm »

-Level scaling, but within bounds. If your level is within a bound, it scales, but if it is outside, your level is treated as the maximum/minimum appropriately. This can be randomied to an extent.

Isn't that what they're claiming to be doing with Skyrim?

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: July 29, 2011, 01:11:04 pm »

scriver, nobody said DF makes you smart or you have to be smart to play DF.

DF attracts smart, creative, less-graphics-more-gameplay gamers. That's it. People who don't have patience can't play it but that doesn't mean every DF player is patient guys.

I bet Skyrim will attract more action gamers rather than RPGers.

-Level scaling, but within bounds. If your level is within a bound, it scales, but if it is outside, your level is treated as the maximum/minimum appropriately. This can be randomied to an extent.

Isn't that what they're claiming to be doing with Skyrim?
We'll see about that when Skyrim is released. Don't believe everything you hear about Skyrim. You wouldn't believe what kind of lies devs said when Oblivion was in development.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: July 29, 2011, 01:13:55 pm »

I think people just like to wank about how great playing DF makes them. It's as silly as pretending Silent Hunter 3 teaches you leadership skills. Or that you'll only be good at SH3 if you already have strong leadership skills. Neither of which are factors.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: July 29, 2011, 01:14:50 pm »

I think people just like to wank about how great playing DF makes them. It's as silly as pretending Silent Hunter 3 teaches you leadership skills.

Look it is a great gameplay aspect if a game actually makes you feel competent.

In fact that is one of the aspects of Flight Sim that makes it so amazing. People have often thought they could actually fly a plane.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: July 29, 2011, 01:32:51 pm »

I think people just like to wank about how great playing DF makes them. It's as silly as pretending Silent Hunter 3 teaches you leadership skills. Or that you'll only be good at SH3 if you already have strong leadership skills. Neither of which are factors.
Most people do not play dwarf fortress. Most people, if they were to hear about it, would instantly reject it because of the poor graphics/interface. Of those that give it a go anyway, lots of people would be put off by the immense depth and complexity.

Those who can play and succeed in DF have proven themselves capable of doing something that most other people cannot do. This is pretty ego-boosting.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: July 29, 2011, 05:07:24 pm »

I agree, and honestly the way that DF players carry on is a little pathetic at times...

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #2421 on: July 29, 2011, 05:46:50 pm »

I agree, and honestly the way that DF players carry on is a little pathetic at times...

Indeed, sometimes it's no different than sitting with people who think Modern Warfare is realistic.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: July 29, 2011, 06:03:35 pm »

Uhm... This topic is about TES V: Skyrim you know :D

If you played Arena, you have probably tried Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion too. If you like a game you will follow the sequel even if you think you won't like it. Bethesda has got RPGers hooked and it's time for action gamers it seems. Not everybody followed the game though. Like my older cousin, he used to play Daggerfall and Morrowind a lot. He just took a look at Oblivion at my pc and he played it for like 1 hour. I asked him if he was going to buy it and said no. When I asked him why he said "TES series are something else entirely now." and he said the same thing about Fallout series and he also said this while running to an objective marker, ignoring the raiders chasing him: "Hey... This is totally like Oblivion!" where I replied with "ROFL!"

Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind attracted different kind of players. Oblivion attracted and Skyrim will attract different kind of players.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2423 on: July 29, 2011, 11:19:19 pm »

I tried daggerfall. Only game I've ever played that was harder to learn than DF.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: July 30, 2011, 03:49:13 am »

I tried daggerfall. Only game I've ever played that was harder to learn than DF.

Have you only played adventure mode in Dwarf fortress?
DF is way more complex than DF.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: July 30, 2011, 09:13:00 am »

The important thing about Morrowind's level scaling is that it was location-based. Yes, you had to be a certain level before Winged Twilights would start randomly spawning, but they wouldn't randomly spawn anywhere - you had to be in the Ashlands or near a Daedric shrine. And dangerous areas, like those shrines or Sixth House bases, were always dangerous so if you went in there at low level you'd get mowed down. This allowed leveling to open up new areas of the game gradually as well as making harder fights available. In Oblivion you can go anywhere right off the bat. I sure hope Skyrim goes with the former model.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 10:30:37 pm by Africa »
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: July 30, 2011, 10:13:47 am »

Morrowind has a lot of places that are dangerous areas but there all of the beaten track, you have to look for them.

Oblivion has a bears charge you from the scrub by the path.

in Morrowind the rare gear is rare, in Oblivion the more you level up the more there is.

Oblivion just feels like it need 6 months more work to be a good game.

look at the fighting a.i., it is easy to change how so one fight so why does every one have the same style?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: July 30, 2011, 10:15:18 am »

Have you only played adventure mode in Dwarf fortress?
DF is way more complex than DF.
DF > DF ?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #2428 on: July 30, 2011, 10:19:09 am »

I had an easier time getting into Dwarf Fortress than Morrowind, infact, I never got anywhere far in Morrowind, because ui and controls sucked hard imo.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: July 30, 2011, 10:48:27 am »

You had UI and control problems worse in morrowind than in DF?
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 201