Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 266043 times)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #2355 on: July 27, 2011, 08:14:06 pm »

Every RPG gives you a strict role, weither your character is aware of it immediately or not. The fact is most RPGs have your character have some sort of epic destiny, and we still don't KNOW(atleast to my knowledge) if we're going to be the 'slaughterer of dragons' the second Skyrim starts, but I somewhat doupt it.

Spears where cut becouse almost no one ever used them and alot of people complained they where utterly useless. His point was they COULD have been put into 'light' or 'heavy logicly.

That is BAD level scaleing. It CAN be done well. GOOD level scaleing is less about 'ok enemies get epic items as you level' and more about 'enemies you would kill stupidly easily disappear as you level, and rarer but harder enemy types begin to show up'
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: July 27, 2011, 08:23:54 pm »

They should look at old games like Might and Magic; The enemies weren't leveled but they were still a challenge, somewhere, because the areas had a general level that you had to be if you wanted to walk through. It also gave you the option of sprinting through these areas and nabbing some high-level loot if you were fast enough. It was fun though, because most of that loot didn't make so much of an effect that your party was overpowered, yet it still gave the very distinct impression that you just did something badass.

I'd like to see a modern game do something like that, and have high-level and low-level areas, so that it essentially locks you off from the places you aren't supposed to be yet, but you can go back to your starting town and still find that tribe of Gobbos that killed you fifteen times way earlier in the game. Then you have the pleasure of killing them quickly and easily. You feel like you got somewhere with your character, rather than the world just growing more badass and you stay at the same spot on the ladder. I want my level 77 paladin to strike the mudcrab with his Golden Longsword +5, dammit! ;)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: July 27, 2011, 08:30:07 pm »

Ah but games like that are usually implimented poorly for one simple reason. Grind. You, usually but not always, need to do serious grinding to be able to survive the next 'area' with any reasonable chance. If you DON'T have grind in those on the other hand then it's rather easy to blow your way through all the zones rather fast. Now this is just personal opinion, but I think the need to grind over and over again just to reach somewhere new is a bad thing. It's boring, and games are supposed to provide entertainment, not boredem.
Weither your casual, hardcore, old school, new gamer, other anything inbetween/combination of these, you usually play games for the fact they entertain you, not to be bored so you can be entertained later.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: July 27, 2011, 08:36:08 pm »

Agreed. You can be invincible when you enchant your equipment correctly at Oblivion. It's still sad to see so many slots getting removed, rather than making some enchants less powerful to keep the balance
As much fun as versatility can grant, having many different pieces of clothing that if very good grant +5% something is much less rewarding than a few pieces that grant +25% something. Making more smaller pieces just opens up easier abuse or micromanagement over tiny details. Morrowind did have a lot of neat effects, but unless you abused the hell out of some of the clunkier things they were not terribly useful in a straight game. I would prefer fewer effects with more polish and thought put into working with other abilities.

Sometimes less complexity is good. It allows everything to work well with eachother. I am more than willing to suspend my disbelief for how similar axes and blunt weapons are for being able to switch to a neat new mace I found that has a cool effect I want, despite currently holding an axe.

Grind is a weird thing to say. Well designed leveling systems know how much time a player will spend in areas they need to be at, what equipment they will likely have at that point and how much experience the player earns in an area. In good design the "grind" is entirely encapsulated in just playing the previous area. The only time you would have to return to an area just to repeat actions for experience is either designers padding a 30 hour game into a 70 hour one or the player doing unintended bullshit.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: July 27, 2011, 08:43:29 pm »

Spears where cut becouse almost no one ever used them and alot of people complained they where utterly useless. His point was they COULD have been put into 'light' or 'heavy logicly.

Assumptions are bad.
I used the fuck out of spears. Their high range was absurdly useful and the fact that I could enchant them to make others levitate(slows em down) made them very useful. But in small areas they weren't exactly useful.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: July 27, 2011, 08:48:03 pm »

Assumptions are bad.
I used the fuck out of spears. Their high range was absurdly useful and the fact that I could enchant them to make others levitate(slows em down) made them very useful. But in small areas they weren't exactly useful.

I used spears too. Spears were cut because Bethesda couldn't do the animations. They are bad at animations. They regretted it themselves.

I didn't find being able to enter an Oblivion Gate at level 1 fun. If you can go to every place at level 1, why level up?

You don't have to grind at TES. There are lots of things to do. This isn't MMORPG. Go do some low-level quests until you can do high-level quests
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:03:14 pm by Leatra »

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: July 27, 2011, 08:51:48 pm »

As much fun as versatility can grant, having many different pieces of clothing that if very good grant +5% something is much less rewarding than a few pieces that grant +25% something. Making more smaller pieces just opens up easier abuse or micromanagement over tiny details. Morrowind did have a lot of neat effects, but unless you abused the hell out of some of the clunkier things they were not terribly useful in a straight game. I would prefer fewer effects with more polish and thought put into working with other abilities.

>Implying oblivion was a much more polished game.
Okay okay, I know that > is so 4chan but whatevah.
Firstly, Many skills in oblivion were overpowered. Stealth being the first and foremost(One shotting imperial guards in broad daylight)
Secondly, removing small details was just limiting options. People would understand the game well enough with a few armor pieces, Heck they could even make the armor equip the same(2 pauldron = 1 but when it comes to enchanting, both can be enchanted differently).

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: July 27, 2011, 09:13:16 pm »

Seems Ill have to categorize my responses here.

1. I said I would prefer fewer traits with more polish, not less traits with just as much polish, and in some cases more polish but just on some little unimportant piece of rubber that shouldnt have been polished in the first place. If skills were overpowered then either not enough polish was given to the right places or not enough other options were added. And remember that Stealth is one of the three big stat focuses, besides being big, beefy and strong or magicy and more magicy. It should be strong enough to go toe to toe with each other focus when in its own element, although gameplay design should be given to make sure a skill has defined purposes and roles that dont overshadow other intended roles.

2. Game balance is weird with lots of ineffective options. You really have the same number of options with a few gimmick options that will never be as good. There is a point where not having enough options that make the game repetitive, but we already reached that in every game. Fighter characters fight, stealth characters sneak, magic characters cast spells. All these generally do the same thing in different ways. The issue currently is not having enough skills, but having enough varied challenges that call for different skillsets that are all viable options for playing the game. Like the jarring divide between social skills and combat skills, where you have a ton of killing something challenges that many skills can accomplish sith similar success and social challenges that actually require a little bit of working with, depending on how well the social game is crafted.

I just like the concept of less skills that are better integrated rather than a number of shoddy options that seem to not have clear purpose.

I do like the idea of multiple enchant parts of items. All the effects of every part could be summed up in the idem description to lower the clutter earlier games could suffer from.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: July 27, 2011, 09:17:39 pm »

Stealth isn't overpowered. It's actually not good enough. I wish I could slit throats while sneaking rather than dealing more damage but I guess that would be overpowered :D

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: July 27, 2011, 10:41:56 pm »

Stealth isn't overpowered unless you play it that way.

You guys seem to forget it's easy as cake to forgo any game-breaking combinations and use skills in ways they may not have been intended for, or simply just, you know, Roleplay. It's not like you have to make your stealthy character a heavy-hitter too, even if you can.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: July 28, 2011, 01:22:23 am »

B)All of the TES games are 'playable' without mods, they are all FUN without mods. To say they 'need mods to be playable' is just being rediculas, the only time a game NEEDS mods to be playable is if it has a monsterous amount of bugs that the devs haven't fixed.

I haven't read all your posts, or the rest of your posts, or the rest of the thread after that post, which apparently ran through two pages of horribly misspelled posts during one day while I wasn't paying attention to it. I just thought I'd comment on that part. I'd consider "crashes every 3 minutes if you use the autosave or quicksave" a sufficiently critical bug that the developers never bothered to fix in Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, or IIRC Morrowind (I don't think Morrowind has an autosave? Not bothering to start it to find out, but it has quicksave and I'm pretty sure it's crashy, but so is not saving >_<, which is why I haven't played it in a while).

You have to use a mod to replace the autosave and quicksave in Oblivion, for instance. In Fallout 3, you have to use another mod to completely disable the autosave, because it is scripted to autosave at certain times in the main quest, etc, even if you have disabled it in the options!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: July 28, 2011, 01:36:15 am »

I have never had issues with autosave crashing me.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: July 28, 2011, 01:58:53 am »

Despite all the people who have no problem with this feature and other features that have been mentioned in this thread, he will not be dissuaded from hating on Bethesda for every that has ever gone wrong or been perceived to go wrong with any of their games.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: July 28, 2011, 03:53:31 am »

Despite all the people who have no problem with this feature and other features that have been mentioned in this thread, he will not be dissuaded from hating on Bethesda for every that has ever gone wrong or been perceived to go wrong with any of their games.
You know how retarded that sounds?
Let me paraphrase you.
"Just because we haven't encountered any bugs means that the guy thats complaining is an idiot"

I have never had issues with autosave crashing me.

Well neither did I but what I got instead was corrupted saves, random glitching and non existent save files.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: July 28, 2011, 03:54:44 am »

I played Oblivion and Morrowind on my old laptop and I don't remember having crash problems with the autosave and quicksave functions. Mods were unnecessary, that's for sure.

I finished Fallout 3 and New Vegas on my XBox. I remember having some crash problems with NV, something like 3 crashs during a 60-hour game time, but mods were unnecessary too.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 201