Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 266081 times)

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #2325 on: July 09, 2011, 01:54:28 pm »

Oh yeah. I can just remember those "trap dungeons" in Daggerfall. Went trough couple one-way portals (or whatever those are) and ended up stuck in some random dungeon with no saves outside ...

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: July 09, 2011, 05:24:48 pm »

Oh yeah. I can just remember those "trap dungeons" in Daggerfall. Went trough couple one-way portals (or whatever those are) and ended up stuck in some random dungeon with no saves outside ...

You mean that floating skull thingy? You don't even need those. I once got trapped in a pit. One of those vertical shafts. At the bottom end of it was a room with some orcs, problem was the shaft was in the ceiling in the middle of the room, so I couldn't climb back up and I had no levitation. Cue reloading a savegame from three days ago. FFFFFFFFUUUUU.....
Those were the days of hardcore games that forced you to think before you did something and occasionally just shat on you anyway.

Call me crazy but I DIDN'T like the Oblivion mechanic for magic weapons.

It felt like they ran on batteries.

Yeah, personally I hate that. Daggerfall was much better in this respect. Magic weapons just worked indefinitely, problem was getting them enchanted in the first place. Most materials had very few enchantment points, so the enchantments you could put on them were rather feeble. There were two ways out of that, either get a daedric weapon, and/or get a soul gem. Using a soul gem during enchanting gives you extra enchantment points, so you can put a more powerful enchantment on the item than you could without it. The only downside is that now that item is soul-bound, ie. if the item breaks, the creature whose soul you used is brought back to life and obviously not very happy about what you did to it. So if you have a sword enchanted with the soul of a daedra and no backup weapons and it breaks... good luck.

This sound much better than batteries.

Especially when you soul-trap a dragon.

I wonder if it would be possible to mod this in the game.

I should also add that there was no on-screen indication that your items are about to break. If you didn't remember to check your inventory once in a while, you only found out when they suddenly disappeared from your hands.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 05:35:41 pm by Sordid »

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: July 09, 2011, 08:26:22 pm »

I'd love an enchanting system like that, would make enchanting much more fun if you ask me. I honestly hated enchanted weapons in oblivion, but there was really no way around using them. After you swing your Generic fire sword #5 at
bandits for a while you just soultrap a creature with azuras star. At the point that you get azura's star, recharging your weapon becomes next to effortless...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: July 09, 2011, 08:29:05 pm »

Yes IF you read a guide and ensured you got an Azura star...

Lets face it... Unless you were so far in the game you could afford the recharges... the Azura star was the only thing saving the game from being unbearable.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: July 09, 2011, 09:11:51 pm »

Yes IF you read a guide and ensured you got an Azura star...

Lets face it... Unless you were so far in the game you could afford the recharges... the Azura star was the only thing saving the game from being unbearable.
Wait, was there anyone who did not got the Azura Star as soon as possible with any and all characters made? That said, yeah, without it, enchanted weaponry would be very annoying. At least soul gems are not all that rare, if they were, enchanted weaponry would only be too awesome to use.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: July 09, 2011, 09:13:00 pm »

I never got the Azura star...

I did the vast majority of the missions in the game but never got the Azura star with any character.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: July 09, 2011, 09:30:49 pm »

I never got the Azura star...

I did the vast majority of the missions in the game but never got the Azura star with any character.

Why did you tortured yourself as such?  :o =p
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: July 09, 2011, 10:48:18 pm »

I was a sniper, with my sneak damage bonus and my crazy skillzTM, I rarely needed to recharge because it's one arrow a creature.  Even when I needed to recharge, every Mage's Guild has someone to do the job for a pittance.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: July 10, 2011, 01:41:02 am »

I was a sniper, with my sneak damage bonus and my crazy skillzTM, I rarely needed to recharge because it's one arrow a creature.  Even when I needed to recharge, every Mage's Guild has someone to do the job for a pittance.

Poor you. I used a mod.
I even used a mod to improve the AI to be more responsive to stealth tactics. I still sneak attacked every guard in imperial city

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: July 10, 2011, 02:30:03 am »

Poor you. I used a mod.
I even used a mod to improve the AI to be more responsive to stealth tactics. I still sneak attacked every guard in imperial city
They responded, but they were no match for my 1337-ness. Which is to say I fired off arrows until they all died...
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: July 10, 2011, 05:51:13 am »

You mean that floating skull thingy? You don't even need those. I once got trapped in a pit. One of those vertical shafts. At the bottom end of it was a room with some orcs, problem was the shaft was in the ceiling in the middle of the room, so I couldn't climb back up and I had no levitation. Cue reloading a savegame from three days ago. FFFFFFFFUUUUU.....
Those were the days of hardcore games that forced you to think before you did something and occasionally just shat on you anyway.

This is actually simulated in unpatched Morrowind by making the game crash after you go a long time without saving.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: July 10, 2011, 10:24:50 am »

This is actually simulated in unpatched Morrowind by making the game crash after you go a long time without saving.
or the null void dadrea temples. those places that if you put on an amulet you can't escape from no matter what without first killing a massivily powerful boss.
Nom nom nom

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: July 27, 2011, 11:37:28 am »

Number of skills you have is reduced every game. 27 skills in Morrowind. 21 skills in Oblivion. 18 skills in Skyrim It won't be a surprise if we get stuck with 10 skills at TES V. In my opinion... Fuck streamlining.
Number of armor and weapons is reduced every game. I miss spears...
Number of spells are reduced every game. Levitation was really fun
Number of mods needed to make the game playable are increasing every TES game
You will start the game as a Dragonborn. That makes you someone, gives you a role. This is why I think we will be playing an action game and not a RPG.
UI and menu sucks. Where is The Elder Scrolls spirit?
Level scaling. In morrowind you used to say things like "OMFG! Time to GTFO, level up and come back for this cave/ruins/quest/monster!" a lot. This time everything is "adjusted for the player"
In Morrowind, if you take a quest you have to pay attention to everything. Read roadsigns, go talk to NPCs to find out more about the quest and simply search for your objective. In Oblivion you just had to fast travel to your quest marker. I hope it will be different in Skyrim.
Radiant stuff again...

Don't get excited about this game. Hype is really high. Also do you rembember what Oblivion devs said about the game before it got released?

Which Oblivion Dev Lied The Most: http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15427

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2338 on: July 27, 2011, 12:07:01 pm »

TES 5 skill list:

Punching
Armor
Weapons
Magic
Thieving
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: July 27, 2011, 12:11:13 pm »

You know what I love? I love it when people complain about a company 'ruining X game for EVAR' becouse they didn't like a sequal. This esspecially pertains to people who do it about Oblivion. Why? Becouse roughly 80% of the people I've personally ever seen complain about how it 'ruined Elder Scrolls for ever!' have only played Morrowind. Not Daggerfall and definately not Arena. And if they have they didn't like them. Which makes their logic insane, a game ruins a series becouse it isn't like it's predicesor, which in and of itself made HUGE changes from IT'S predicesor. But, let's get more in depth with this.

A)Removeing skills is not ALWAYS a bad thing, yes many people(includeing myself) do prefer large stat trees with many choices, but streamlineing is not always bad. Incase it is not clear this is mostly addressing the 'fuck streamlineing' comment.
B)All of the TES games are 'playable' without mods, they are all FUN without mods. To say they 'need mods to be playable' is just being rediculas, the only time a game NEEDS mods to be playable is if it has a monsterous amount of bugs that the devs haven't fixed.
C)All of the TES games gave you a roll, unless you didn't pay attention to either the other games or the Lore. You always where someone big and important in the history of the entire world. Also, incase you're unsure  'Dragonborn' is a title, like Neverrine, not a race or anything like that.
D)I'll agree that level scaleing done wrong is bad, as it was in oblivion if only becouse once you got a high enough level monsters had stupid amounts of health. But level scaleing done RIGHT? Such as Fallout:NV which was made with the same engine? It's good. We can hope that the devs learned from other games that did level scaleing well on this engine
E)You could teleport right to your objective in Daggerfall as well, AND many of the 'directions' where stupidly unhelpful in morrowind. Now I'll admit the little arrow pointer is rediculas, but pointing out the area you need to go to(the general area on the main map) is not a bad thing, also incase you didn't notice you could only fast travel to the quest marker if it was somewhere you've been before
F)Also, for both the last commenters, this IS TES 5, the one you're saying will have even less skills is TES 6, learn to count.

My counterpoints are done. As for why I didn't cover the Armor, Weapons, and Spells parts? I agree with them, I'm not going to make a counterpoint to something I agree with. Thank you for reading and I appologize for any mispellings but I do have horrible grammer.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 201