Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 266181 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #2235 on: June 10, 2011, 04:17:40 am »

Uh. And Oblivion and FO3 were different how? They had blatantly console-oriented interfaces.
they aren't and that's the problem, FO3 atleast made up for it with an amazing story line and great dcl.  Oblivion was ok with mods.
FO3 and amazing story line? It was total copy-pasta of the FO1 and FO2 storylines with Liam Neeson added in.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's far from "amazing". Bethesda's writing since Oblivion has been pretty shoddy. Though I guess people didn't play it for the writing. They just want to kill stuff and roleplay a guard.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:19:18 am by Virtz »

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: June 10, 2011, 04:28:25 am »

Though I guess people didn't play it for the writing.

I don't play any game for the writing.

If I want a pre-written story, I'll watch a movie or read a book.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: June 10, 2011, 05:14:41 am »

Though I guess people didn't play it for the writing.

I don't play any game for the writing.

If I want a pre-written story, I'll watch a movie or read a book.

same here. I like more micromanagement/powerlevelling/personalization than a good story. I prefer a good world, and go forth with it.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: June 10, 2011, 05:31:25 am »

the whole reincarnation story of morrowind was awesome

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: June 10, 2011, 05:42:36 am »

Unfortunately, having a narmy story can completely ruin a game. For me at least. It's a balance between gameplay and story, really. Great gameplay gets away with crappy writing, great story gets away with boring game mechanics. Fallout 3 and Oblivion excelled at neither.
Love, scriver~

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: June 10, 2011, 10:05:07 am »

There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: June 10, 2011, 10:09:36 am »

I killed her afterward, for a good measure.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: June 10, 2011, 10:14:53 am »

Also, RPS has a Skyrim E3 article up. Mainly a recap of things we already know, though.

This re-affirms my faith, I went a bit blind with the whole lead console thing. Apparently it will still look better on the PC as well, though I'm not sure if they just meant that we can turn AA on.

Also, guys, calm down with your arguments. You can argue, just tone down the profanity and flaming. Some people know less about the series than others, don't call them out on that, but the people claiming they know more than they do should really stop.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 10:16:52 am by Cheese »

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: June 10, 2011, 11:16:03 am »

That sums up one of the primary reasons why Morrowind is great. There's the whole "or is it" quality to not only the main storyline, but literally ALL the accounts of history you encounter in the game. Not only are multiple conflicting versions of history presented, but it's never made clear if one of them is correct, or which aspects of which ones are true. That's what lent it so much depth.

Also, the magic system was one thing they improved from MW to Oblivion. I can't believe skill level didn't decrease spell costs in MW....
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: June 10, 2011, 11:30:21 am »

Also, the magic system was one thing they improved from MW to Oblivion. I can't believe skill level didn't decrease spell costs in MW....

I can't believe you can cast 5 spells as a high level mage in Oblivion and be out of mana. :p

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: June 10, 2011, 12:00:42 pm »

Having mana recharge in Oblivion was also a huge improvement. In MW you basically just had to play as the Atronach and chug potions if you wanted to be a wizard.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: June 10, 2011, 12:08:09 pm »

That's why alchemy was so darn useful.
Well I didn't have that problem. Always was a hybrid in MW.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: June 10, 2011, 12:10:14 pm »

That sums up one of the primary reasons why Morrowind is great. There's the whole "or is it" quality to not only the main storyline, but literally ALL the accounts of history you encounter in the game. Not only are multiple conflicting versions of history presented, but it's never made clear if one of them is correct, or which aspects of which ones are true. That's what lent it so much depth.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: June 10, 2011, 12:37:19 pm »

You walk like him untill he must walk as you. ;)
Love, scriver~

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: June 10, 2011, 04:13:01 pm »

Once again: that's part of what's great about Morrowind. Maybe the Ashlanders are right; maybe they don't know what the hell they're talking about either; maybe they're manipulating you into doing something via an ancient myth - who knows?
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 201