Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 266278 times)

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #2205 on: June 09, 2011, 06:34:55 pm »

yeah, I never managed to finish oblivion, I always got bored mid way.. that's why I said the peak was with morrowind... times better than oblivion. The part I hate the most is how they start simplifying the games so they become more appealing to console kids.

That interview plus videos give me the impresion that skyrim willl be nothing more than a glorified hack & slash.

and, on the technical side, graphics will pretty much be similar to oblivion... you cant go much further with the consoles power.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: June 09, 2011, 06:44:21 pm »

But let's stop and actually THINK about the demo videos for a SECOND, what would you rather see new combat mechanics and enemies, or a dialogue system that probably hasn't changed that much.  Or even better navigating your inventory!! Oooooh! Aaaah! Market what is sellable!
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: June 09, 2011, 06:44:37 pm »

How did you not finish Oblivion? Unless you did about 5 sidequests between each quest, it was a pretty damn short game. At times repetitive (Closing the city gates), but short nevertheless. Did anyone else hate having to do all the Mage's Guild city missions just because you wanted to enchant something? Damn, that really sucked.

Gah. I want Morrowind. One of my friends wants me to sell his Xbox copy of it WITH his original Xbox and Controller for about 50$. Should I take it?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 06:46:24 pm by Rex_Nex »

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: June 09, 2011, 06:50:42 pm »

I cant speak for the xbox version... but if you want to enjoy it to the max, get the pc version so you can mod and all that.

But if the console price is right (i dont know) maybe you should try that one

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: June 09, 2011, 08:04:08 pm »

How did you not finish Oblivion? Unless you did about 5 sidequests between each quest, it was a pretty damn short game. At times repetitive (Closing the city gates), but short nevertheless. Did anyone else hate having to do all the Mage's Guild city missions just because you wanted to enchant something? Damn, that really sucked.

Gah. I want Morrowind. One of my friends wants me to sell his Xbox copy of it WITH his original Xbox and Controller for about 50$. Should I take it?

Morrowind is a good game even without mods, but I'd still just buy the GOTY version for the PC. Unless you just really want an old X-Box, or have a pre 2000 computer.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: June 09, 2011, 08:28:45 pm »

I love how a lot of you guys completely hivemind over one sentence while jumping off the deep end into completely unfounded conclusions. Show me where Craig Lafferty says "There will be no construction set," or "There will be no mods," or that Skyrim will have "ackward [sic] controls," or will be a "glorified hack & slash" / "simple 3rd person hack and slash."

P.S.

1. Morrowind is much better with both expansions and with selected add-ons.
2. I never finished Oblivion either. I generally either ignored the main quest or only played partway through it. It was a bit... boring. I finished the entire Mages' Quest plotline and became Archmage, however.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 08:45:27 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: June 09, 2011, 08:43:55 pm »

Heh, I actually finished Oblivion by accident. I was playing through the story and thought to myself: "Alright, the boring introductory fetch quests are done with, so now the story's really going to get good. I'll just do one more quest and then hit some of the faction side quests." And then it just fucking ended.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: June 09, 2011, 08:45:52 pm »

That interview plus videos give me the impresion that skyrim willl be nothing more than a glorified hack & slash.

To be fair... the TES games have been mainly hack & slash. I think Morrowind had more peaceful quests than any of the others. But still, if you look back, most of the time you were probably wailing on baddies (or shopkeepers.)

And this time around we have actual trade skills. We've yet to see how full-featured they are, or aren't, but it's more than we've had in vanilla before.

I remember the UI being pretty horrible on the Xbox. I'd go with the PC version anyway, just for the mods. Can get it way cheaper than $50 too.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 08:52:59 pm by Jehdin »

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: June 09, 2011, 08:55:51 pm »

or will have "ackward [sic] controls,"

hahahahah sorry I guess I deserve that "sic"; english is not my main languaje

I didnt finished oblivion out of boredom too, my guess is never really felt involved with my character, unlike as in morrowind, where I could be like, a pure mage type or whatever.

My guessing that there will be no mods comes from similar games, that had fully modeable compatibility, and then their sequels, which had an stronger emphasys on consoles, did not suported moding, or had much reduced mod compatibility. My prime example is dragon age, as I played the first one, then I refused even trying the second one after reading that it wont be suporting mods, and even removed the top view thing from the pc version (the mode I played like 95% of the time)

about the ackward (sic :p ) controls, well its based on my personal experience. Most games ported form consoles have very ugly use of the keyboard or even the mouse.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: June 09, 2011, 09:05:10 pm »

But we are speaking of Bethesda who have already made games from console to PC and were the controls awkward? Were they?
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: June 09, 2011, 09:31:05 pm »

I've finished literally every other quest, but not the main mission. Cyrodyll be damned.

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: June 09, 2011, 11:11:39 pm »

I enjoyed Oblivion quite a bit, and Morrowind even more so, but I would not proclaim Morrowind as a perfect game. Honestly, there were parts in Morrowind that were damn boring, when you had to find some location halfway across the map in some secluded area. Sure you had levitation spells and such, but it could be a pain in the neck sometimes. (Still my favorite game of all time though XD)

And I played Oblivion for probably hundreds of hours, and I enjoyed most of the quests, but my biggest complaint about Oblivion was that when all the quests were done, it didn't seem like you have accomplished much. Here I am, Archmage of the Mages Guild, Master of the Fighters Guild, Destroyer of otherworldly creatures, and leader of every other faction, yet it still takes me minutes to smack a bandit to death with my apparently useless sword. It was kind of a let down to see that despite all the accomplishments, you weren't all that much more powerful in relation to your enemies than when you began.

But despite these negatives, I still enjoyed my experiences with both games, and I genuinely look forward to Skyrim. Yes I am disjointed with the fact that it's a console port, but I already knew that. I am confident that regardless of the changes in the series, it will remain a fun and interesting game that will captivate me for quite a long time. Sure it might not be the same as morrowind, but I'd rather look forward to something different, rather than feel bad that gaming has changed. We all want games to return to the quality and complexity that they once were, but since that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon, might as well enjoy what we can. (Plus mods will come out, and then we can have the game we truly want )

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #2217 on: June 09, 2011, 11:31:31 pm »

You accomplished all that, yet you're still using a crappy weapon by then?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: June 10, 2011, 12:00:11 am »

You accomplished all that, yet you're still using a crappy weapon by then?

I think he said "apparently useless sword" as he was probably using his flaming excalibur of the gods, found on the deepest of chasms, but was not effective against a ragged leather armor of some bandit.

yeah, the leveled world of oblivion sucked big time. At level 2 you could beat like a big demon, and at the same time at level 30 a rat could ambush and kill you.

I still remember one time at morrowind when a skeleton of some sort pursued me half across the world. I could do nothing to it at my level. And a single hit form it was near fatal. I deserved it tho for going to some clearly advanced place (typical enchanted catacombs and all), while being at a low level. That sort of constant danger was not present in oblivion. Maybe I got bored after finding that (cant really remember the reason).

Sure, some mods attempted to rectify it, but, in my experience, buggy as hell.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: June 10, 2011, 12:06:50 am »

Ok, now, officially TES saga is dead to me. It ended with Oblivion (and got it highest peak with morrowind).

An engine developed for consoles and ported for pc -> no mods

Hurr durr where did it say that
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 201