Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 266319 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #2175 on: June 07, 2011, 05:59:59 pm »

Also in my opinion they maybe went too far with this dragon thing. It looks like theres dragon after you way too often.

Even though they claim these aren't scripted, I absolutely think they are. At least as far as the appearance of creatures goes, since to me the appearance of the second dragon at the precise moment that the first one is killed seems way too convenient for showcasing purposes to be a coincidence. The reason we see dragons so much in these preview videos is because they're the main gimmick of Skyrim, so they're showing them off as much as they can. I'm sure in the actual game we'll see them way less often.

I also hate games where you kill humongous enemies with your tiny weapons with (relative) ease. The player surviving the mammoth strike looks...ridiculous.

That's a valid point, unfortunately there isn't much that can be done about that in a game with a hitpoint-based combat system. About the only game I've ever seen that did large creature combat really really well was Shadow of the Colossus.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: June 07, 2011, 07:47:54 pm »

I'm sure the only reason it looks like there's constantly a dragon after you is that they really want to cover dragons in their interviews and trailers.

Not to say we know it won't happen, but we have no good reason to believe it will.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: June 07, 2011, 08:32:34 pm »

New batch of screenies:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thump

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: June 07, 2011, 08:36:52 pm »

lol... Wow. Here's a shot of Edoras from the movie:

I can't believe how obvious it was. I didn't remember that Edoras was the name of Rohan's capital, but as soon as I saw your picture I said 'That's Rohan' and scurried off to find a picture. When I found it, I noticed it was labeled Edoras. :)

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: June 07, 2011, 10:36:19 pm »

I ended up watching the demo video from E3. I couldn't help but be awed by it, it looked so damn fun. I am not worried about what minor errors the game might have, as long as the game is equal or better to that video, I will end up playing it for a very long time. I'm also glad I built a new PC, those graphics look pretty damn nice. Now I'm all excited again and still have to wait till November.... :(

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: June 07, 2011, 10:47:29 pm »

Looking good so far, nothing too wrong that modders can't fix at any rate

ColdSpiral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: June 08, 2011, 06:35:25 am »

So BeefJack just posted a couple of snippets they've picked up from E3:
http://beefjack.com/news/bethesda-developing-skyrim-primarily-for-consoles/
http://beefjack.com/news/skyrim-to-get-away-from-the-stats-be-really-accessible/
I will attempt to remain optimistic and unclench my teeth.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: June 08, 2011, 06:49:02 am »

Is it just me or is there something wrong with that horse in the screenshot? Where's the top part of his mane? Are there some horse types with manes that look like Lynch? Or did someone shave off the top part but leave the rest for some reason? It just looks weird.

Either way, this is looking to be something way too close to Oblivion for me to enjoy. The dull blockhithitblockhithit melee combat is apparently still there (although I think I saw the player shield bash a mammoth). And the GUI looks like it was made for babies. Guess Bethesda has found a crowd they're sticking to rather than alienate the current fan base a third time.

And good God, the G4TV hosts sound like utter cretins. They're talking about stuff that's been there before as if it's new and about multiple quest paths as if that wasn't something completely absent last time ("True Elder Scrolls fashion"). It's like they're trying to sound knowledgable about something they have no experience with.

Wravburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: June 08, 2011, 07:40:52 am »

They need to lose the amount of 'zoning' going on. Putting cities in seperate zones made me pull my hair out. And, I need my flight back, I need to climb/fly on them pretty cathedrals.
League of Legends
EU-west: Wash

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: June 08, 2011, 08:17:42 am »

And good God, the G4TV hosts sound like utter cretins. It's like they're trying to sound knowledgable about something they have no experience with.

Well that's because they are. They're hosts, they talk about whatever the producer tells them to talk about.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2185 on: June 08, 2011, 09:52:16 am »

They need to lose the amount of 'zoning' going on. Putting cities in seperate zones made me pull my hair out. And, I need my flight back, I need to climb/fly on them pretty cathedrals.
Agreed. Going by the Open Cities mod for oblivion, there's no mechanical reason why you'd need separate cells like that.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: June 08, 2011, 09:55:04 am »

And good God, the G4TV hosts sound like utter cretins. It's like they're trying to sound knowledgable about something they have no experience with.

Well that's because they are. They're hosts, they talk about whatever the producer tells them to talk about.

It is extremely surprising that G4TV is still on air. But oh well, it's good that they're at least adding to the number of video feeds about the event.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: June 08, 2011, 09:59:02 am »

Maybe they're going to recycle some of the monsters of Solstheim for this game.

Of course they are. Those nordic zombies we keep seeing in screenshots and trailers? Look familiar?

Also, the E3 video shows horker meat in the inventory, so those guys are in as well.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: June 08, 2011, 10:35:06 am »

Also in my opinion they maybe went too far with this dragon thing. It looks like theres dragon after you way too often. I also hate games where you kill humongous enemies with your tiny weapons with (relative) ease. The player surviving the mammoth strike looks...ridiculous.

Todd always cheats with his demo chars.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: June 08, 2011, 02:27:48 pm »

Agreed. Going by the Open Cities mod for oblivion, there's no mechanical reason why you'd need separate cells like that.

The reason they need separate cells is so they can have larger cities taking less surface area. I'm pretty sure they could make the cities open if they wanted to, but that would be extra work. Lazy Bethesda. >:|
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 201