Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 266420 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1905 on: March 30, 2011, 11:47:16 pm »

Definitely looking forward to this. Almost makes me want to reinstall Oblivion and give it a whirl, but still too involved in other games(HoN, New Vegas)/schoolwork/etc. And Oblivion is starting to show its age. Would rather dig up my old Morrowind CDs and see if I can't find my old mods.

My main problem is that I'm going to need to drop about $400 in order to get a new video card and an upgraded power supply capable of handling it. May look into some more RAM too.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: March 30, 2011, 11:49:51 pm »

You could wait Astral until there is more of a library and then buy Skyrim

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1907 on: March 31, 2011, 12:46:32 am »

Play Nehrim. Best RPG made in Gamebryo, and I'd say it looks significantly better than oblivion. Still got ugly faces and the occasional Anime-style hair, but otherwise quite good.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: March 31, 2011, 02:02:17 am »

Nehrim kind of annoyed me. First with the gibberish cutscene subtitles, and then the books which weren't translated, and the plants which didn't behave like they did after I had modded them in Oblivion (with harvest flora), and apparently didn't support the same mod or anything like it (whose behavior I've considered essential since Morrowind), and then it got more annoying from there, with the "The trolls are afraid of the light from the torches!" *troll charges despite light* *light goes out with no replacement in tunnels* *dead end while chased by black troll* *quit from irritation after running back and forth for 5 minutes looking for an exit*.

It seemed like a linear sequence of scares, not an RPG, to me.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 02:07:47 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: March 31, 2011, 07:16:20 am »

I find it somewhat hard to believe they'd put in something as menial as harvesting wood or mining in any semi-realistic fashion. Somehow I expect that we'll either be kicking trees down with ease, picking up the resources like plants in Oblivion or just prying them from the dead hands of bandits. Either way I don't expect swinging at an immobile tree with a hatchet for 30 seconds. I don't think that'd sit well with their action-oriented audience. Maybe their e-larping audience would like that, but I don't think there's that many of them.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: March 31, 2011, 10:20:34 am »

I find it somewhat hard to believe they'd put in something as menial as harvesting wood or mining in any semi-realistic fashion. Somehow I expect that we'll either be kicking trees down with ease, picking up the resources like plants in Oblivion or just prying them from the dead hands of bandits. Either way I don't expect swinging at an immobile tree with a hatchet for 30 seconds. I don't think that'd sit well with their action-oriented audience. Maybe their e-larping audience would like that, but I don't think there's that many of them.

Yeah, I don't really see where they're going with that. "You're the Dragonborn, the world's last hope against the dragons! Now take this hoe and go till some fields!" Double-yoo tee eff? ::)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 01:29:29 pm by Sordid »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: March 31, 2011, 10:31:16 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: March 31, 2011, 12:27:18 pm »

Give me some elements of Oblivion's gameplay that were more involved than the combat and then I'll think about considering it a "marginal gameplay element". Yes, I'm aware that you may mean "marginal" as in "crap". The combat, however bad it is, is the only part of the game that requires anything resembling effort in the best of cases.
No, I mean "marginal" as in "marginal". Go ahead, try taking a stopwatch and measuring how much time you spend actually fighting things with your weapons, as opposed to running around, talking to NPCs, reading books, and all the other non-combat activities. It's really not that much even for a warrior character, and if you play a mage you need never touch a sword at all.
So the other elements don't require much effort. So what? Asscreed's wallcliming is almost entirely automated, all you do is push the analog stick in the direction you want your guy to climb and he does that automatically with zero chance of failure. Does that mean Asscreed is not about wallclimbing and freerunning?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 01:25:09 pm by Sordid »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: March 31, 2011, 12:36:37 pm »

Marginal in that literal a sense of the word, perhaps (about 50% of the time I invest in that game seems to just be running from one location to the next, even with fast-travel on), but that still doesn't really mean anything when combat is obviously what the game's geared towards.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: March 31, 2011, 12:40:25 pm »

Marginal in that literal a sense of the word, perhaps, but that still doesn't really mean anything when combat is obviously what the game's geared towards.

Since when elder scroll focus is on combat?

Obviously geared? Pah!

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #1915 on: March 31, 2011, 12:40:36 pm »

Give me some elements of Oblivion's gameplay that were more involved than the combat and then I'll think about considering it a "marginal gameplay element". Yes, I'm aware that you may mean "marginal" as in "crap". The combat, however bad it is, is the only part of the game that requires anything resembling effort in the best of cases.
No, I mean "marginal" as in "marginal". Go ahead, try taking a stopwatch and measuring how much time you spend actually fighting things with your weapons, as opposed to running around, talking to NPCs, reading books, and all the other non-combat activities. It's really not that much even for a warrior character, and if you play a mage you need never touch a sword at all.

Throwing around magic is not combat?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: March 31, 2011, 12:43:00 pm »

...since the only gameplay element that requires you to do more than occasionally press a button is melee attacks? Did you even attempt to read my previous post?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: March 31, 2011, 12:51:31 pm »

Yeah, there is no alchemy, no enchanting, no bartering.

Also, not even the finale requires you to fight.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: March 31, 2011, 12:57:31 pm »

...since the only gameplay element that requires you to do more than occasionally press a button is melee attacks? Did you even attempt to read my previous post?

There are a couple REALLY low class puzzles thrown in too, A couple more with the plugins. Then there's the lockpicking minigame, stealing from houses if you have strength of character to do it right (No 100% camo), 98% of the thieves guild quests (By far the best quests), Horse stealing, alchemy isn't as fun as it used to but it's still there, enchanting is dummed way down but still there, the barter system got simplified but once again still there, etc.

It's mostly thief stuff though, mages got the short end of the stick in vanilla. Midas spells of Aurum (Awesome Mod that I couldn't play without.) helps by giving a chunk of magical research, but yeah.

Fighting is the dominant button pushing aspect, But I spend 10 - 20 times more on exploration in my games. (Granted, yet more mods are necessary to make that good after nine miles of generical forest.) 
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: March 31, 2011, 01:04:07 pm »

Damn right. If you start rating gameplay by complexity of key combos, dwarf fortress rates extremely dull. All you  do all the time is navigating menus and watching,even office can  do better than this.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 201