Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 266056 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1695 on: February 25, 2011, 02:08:35 am »

The real world doesn't have landmarks all over the place (and no dragons, skeletons, etc., but that's beside the point). It has miles and miles of nothing but forest. Sometimes nothing but forest gives the world some proper breathing room, and gives it a real sense of scale. If not, it just serves as filler. It's all just a matter of how much there is.

I guess you've never been to Italy?

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: February 25, 2011, 02:54:03 am »

I guess you've never been to Italy?
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Badia+a+Taona,+Sambuca+Pistoiese,+Italia&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

:P

FUCK IT I shall make an actual post, with an actual point, rather than merely a troll.

The thing the elder scrolls games lack, is proper scale, at least bar Arena and Daggerfall. Morrowind got around this by making allot of mass hills that blocked sight, and fog, close in fog that presented a sense of wonder.

Oblivion, and Skyrim most likely suffer from compression, they are attempting to display a countries worth of terrain, in roughly 18 sq miles or the size of a town, and the length of my bike ride to work each day. Now, here's the issue with that, you run into an issue where everything seems toy sized. Think about the cities of Oblivion, now take it forward 100 years of scaling up. You run into a situation like Reno/Sparks, a city in Nevada, where it's really just 2 sides of a freeway, one side being Sparks, one side being Reno, and it being impossible without that freeway to tell which side is which.

Now here's another thing, the imperial city is not at all as it was described previously. IE Whole Neigborhoods resting on jeweled bridges between islands, the city itself being on several islands. The people of Cyrodiil looking more like this and less like etc
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 03:14:25 am by Dakorma »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: February 25, 2011, 03:12:35 am »

I think I've missed your point.

for the records, in the linked area there are two ruins of medieval houses, a chapel and an abbey. (an outrageously small abbey, it was one of the old ones when abbey was a role for the building and not a moniker for its size)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 04:03:07 am by LoSboccacc »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: February 25, 2011, 03:57:03 am »

It looks good...

In game footage:
http://www.xgn.nl/ps3/stream/10540/

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: February 25, 2011, 06:10:26 am »

Yeah sorry, I looked back a few pages, couldn't see a link to it at first glance, and couldn't be bothered to read 114 pages :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: February 25, 2011, 06:23:27 am »

Added it to the OP.

So how about that big troll looking thing?

Tyberix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: February 25, 2011, 06:40:02 am »

Hmm bit better color composition than oblivion - terrain looks more natural thanks to that.
Yay for stealth kills,not sure if combat finishers are good on the other hand.
The spider made me think of Dark Messiah of M&M (uh spiders  :'().
Looks like magic would be more of explosions than fireballs ? Dragon fight scene (80% of it is probably just cut-scene,part that look game-ish is when guy is knocked down and dragon breaths fire - rest not so much )  looks very nice :)
Not sure why but the guy in the robe makes me feel like i seen it somewhere before? (btw satchel makes me hope for  more morrowind-styled outfits).

Anyway looking good and we still have a lot of time till relase,right ;p ?

Dora Feddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: February 25, 2011, 07:06:05 am »

Ahhhgh. I'm disappointed in myself. I thought I would remain skeptical to at least right before the release of the game, but instead I'm all hyped up over the first friggen video they show us. Baw.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: February 25, 2011, 07:47:46 am »

Ahhhgh. I'm disappointed in myself. I thought I would remain skeptical to at least right before the release of the game, but instead I'm all hyped up over the first friggen video they show us. Baw.
I laughed at that, then realised I'm doing the same thing. A sad state of affairs, as most games I really want usually fail to live up to my anticipations.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: February 25, 2011, 10:51:21 am »

Not sure why but the guy in the robe makes me feel like i seen it somewhere before?

That's because you have:

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: February 25, 2011, 10:54:59 am »

This game is better looking than Dragon Age 2, at least.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: February 25, 2011, 10:59:49 am »

thats mount and blade dude...

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: February 25, 2011, 11:01:29 am »

Not sure why but the guy in the robe makes me feel like i seen it somewhere before?

That's because you have:

The similarities stop at "hooded greatcloak with sword". ::)
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: February 25, 2011, 11:08:20 am »

Actually they stop at the M&B dude having the satchel on the other hip. And the color, obviously.
Also, the great cloak is something completely different (being a cloak, it lacks sleeves, for starters).
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 201