Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265951 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1665 on: February 24, 2011, 02:08:09 pm »

Well I'm happy.

It looks wonderful, and we've got gameplay trailers while we still have 9 MONTHS until release, the fact that they aren't doing the slobjob they did to Fallout:NV is making me happy. I think I can afford to give the bits that didn't look quite finished a break when this game isn't even out of INTO its baby beta shoes.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: February 24, 2011, 02:14:22 pm »

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I'm less concerned about things that look "unfinished" and more concerned about things that probably won't be well-implemented at all, or, more importantly, intentional design decisions that go in a direction either contrary to what I want or contrary to what prior games in the series have done.

Yeah, I'm all for lots of wilderness, if only so there's a bit of space for mods to add in areas. That said, a variety of different kinds of wilderness would be preferable.
Well, what do you expect in the far north? You basically have two options, taiga and tundra.

Depends on how far north, and what area you're talking about. Go look up some photos of Iceland sometime.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: February 24, 2011, 02:19:23 pm »

Eh, I'll be a cynic when I've got it in my hands, until then I'll continue to be optimistic.

Also, watch the trailer, turn the volume up, and try to mentally screen out the voices from the choir. Just listen to the base theme of the music.

It's Morrowinds theme, this made me perk up quite a bit when I realized what I was hearing. They've changed it up a little, but you can still hear it. *Nostalgic Haze*
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: February 24, 2011, 02:22:05 pm »

Well I'm happy.

It looks wonderful, and we've got gameplay trailers while we still have 9 MONTHS until release, the fact that they aren't doing the slobjob they did to Fallout:NV is making me happy. I think I can afford to give the bits that didn't look quite finished a break when this game isn't even out of INTO its baby beta shoes.
New Vegas was made by Obsidian, not Bethesda.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: February 24, 2011, 02:26:29 pm »

Well that does restore some of my faith in the company, thank you.

Also, at 1:24 it looks like the bones on the giants clothing have their own physics, and are bouncing.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:36:58 pm by Draignean »
---

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: February 24, 2011, 02:48:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Looks near identical of the hyped Oblivion screenshots.  Not too impressed by that.  Forests, water and plants - big deal, been there, seen it.  Textures look completely recycled as well (notice the ferns and flowers in the foreground).

Screenshots probably won't do this game justice because it seems the main improvements have to do with physics and lighting.

Random Dragons roaming the world sounds like the coolest feature I've seen so far.  I wonder if fighting them will get monotonous after a while though (Cliff Racers anyone?).

Skyrim is sounding more and more like "Oblivion 2", not TES: 5.  In other words, it seems like they are approaching it to "fix" Oblivion, not to really innovate anything.  This is evidenced by the things they've said: "more diverse landscapes this time, instead of just forests!", "you can walk away from dialog this time", "real Radiant AI", "better leveled lists", etc. 

All of these arguments have been charged against Oblivion, not the series as a whole.  I would love if they started commenting on how they would improve TES while looking equally at Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion, not just Oblivion alone.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:56:47 pm by GaelicVigil »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: February 24, 2011, 03:03:53 pm »

Looks like staves are still going to be nothing more than fireball launchers. I swear they even re-used the Oblivion animation in 1st person view. I also hope that head-bobbing seen early in the video is only going to be present while sprinting. If that goes on all the time, I'll be sick on my keyboard within ten minutes.

Also, at 1:24 it looks like the bones on the giants clothing have their own physics, and are bouncing.

Nope, that looks like a static animation to me. I have not seen a single instance of simulated cloth or hair in that video. But I have seen a guy wearing a long robe, which gives me some hope that maybe they'll implement it. Having static animation on robes that reach all the way to the ground at the end of 2011 would be just pathetic. Either do them properly, or don't put them in at all. Then again, this is Bethsoft...

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I'm less concerned about things that look "unfinished" and more concerned about things that probably won't be well-implemented at all, or, more importantly, intentional design decisions that go in a direction either contrary to what I want or contrary to what prior games in the series have done.

My sentiments precisely.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: February 24, 2011, 03:27:18 pm »

Well that does restore some of my faith in the company, thank you.

What's wrong with New Vegas? It had better quests, writing and balance than FO3.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: February 24, 2011, 03:31:31 pm »

^ It still wasn't fallout?

/trollface

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: February 24, 2011, 04:11:53 pm »

Oh, there's another thing I noticed in that video. Check out 1:20, as the camera pans around a windmill. In the background there's something that looks strikingly like imperial forts from Morrowind.

Skyrim is sounding more and more like "Oblivion 2", not TES: 5.  In other words, it seems like they are approaching it to "fix" Oblivion, not to really innovate anything.  This is evidenced by the things they've said: "more diverse landscapes this time, instead of just forests!", "you can walk away from dialog this time", "real Radiant AI", "better leveled lists", etc. 

All of these arguments have been charged against Oblivion, not the series as a whole.  I would love if they started commenting on how they would improve TES while looking equally at Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion, not just Oblivion alone.

To be quite fair, these criticisms of Oblivion stemmed from the fact that these were the things that Oblivion did wrong in comparison with the previous titles. Varied landscape? Arena had the whole of Tamriel, Daggerfall had bits of High Rock and Hammerfell (essentially the Mediterranean, with High Rock/southern Europe in the north and Hammerfell/north Africa in the south), and Morrowind had half a dozen different terrain types. Level scaling has likewise been a part of the TES series since at least Daggerfall, and again Oblivion was the odd one out that handled it badly, in the other games it worked pretty well.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: February 24, 2011, 04:36:51 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Looks near identical of the hyped Oblivion screenshots.  Not too impressed by that.  Forests, water and plants - big deal, been there, seen it.  Textures look completely recycled as well (notice the ferns and flowers in the foreground).

Screenshots probably won't do this game justice because it seems the main improvements have to do with physics and lighting.

Random Dragons roaming the world sounds like the coolest feature I've seen so far.  I wonder if fighting them will get monotonous after a while though (Cliff Racers anyone?).

If I didn't know that screenshot was from Skyrim, I'd have said it was from Oblivion (or possibly a new expansion). Those rocks look exactly like the rocks in Oblivion  ::)

I'd also agree on your other points, but gameplay wise, I think fixing the level scaling, dialogue landscape and AI is a fairly major step in the right direction from Oblivion. If they actually do fix them instead of just changing them to something equally annoying or even worse remains to be seen, though

The most major gripe I had with Oblivion compared to Morrowind was the quality of the writing and the world building in general. Morrowind actually feels like a plausible world, with very real political intrigue and historical uncertainties that you actually have to manoeuvre in and learn about during the main quest. Oblivion, on the other hand just feels like a backdrop for 'teh epic quest!!1' the player is embarking on with everyone is just there to acknowledge your progress. In essence, Oblivions world revolves around the player, while Morrowinds does not, at least that's the feeling I got.

That's also the biggest worry for Skyrim for me, I always appreciate a well crafted world, almost no matter how broken the gameplay mechanics are. As long as I can enjoy exploring the world I can put up with pretty much everything.

Also, I can't help but think that those dragons (actually wyverns anyway, no front legs) looked kind of silly flying with those tiny wings of theirs.

I totally agree, proper flight needs large wings, otherwise it'll just look silly. It doesn't help either that it's beating its wings forward, making it look like it's supposed to go backwards.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: February 24, 2011, 06:37:44 pm »

Yep, tiny wings look ridiculous.
On the plus side, buildings now have glowing windows at night. Took Bethsoft major mods for two of their games to realize players want that. Sheesh.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: February 24, 2011, 06:46:31 pm »

@Sordid Are you always this negative about everything? Or just Bethesda?
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: February 24, 2011, 06:49:59 pm »

Takes all sorts, I guess for him though when it comes out and he buys it at full price (You know you will.) he can be pleasantly surprised at every turn. "Oh my, it doesn't suck ass like I thought it would!"

I still think sordid is blind as a dead lamprey if he thinks that there isn't much of a graphical difference between this and oblivion.

---

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: February 24, 2011, 07:04:25 pm »

I still think sordid is blind as a dead lamprey if he thinks that there isn't much of a graphical difference between this and oblivion.

Really?  I don't really see much difference between this and this if you ask me.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 201