Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265928 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1650 on: February 24, 2011, 11:21:22 am »

Is it just me or is that dragon-fighting guy woefully under dressed for the climate? I know Nords are supposed to be resistant to cold, but still, it looks awkward to me...

His warm clothes got burned off by the last dragon he fought.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: February 24, 2011, 11:24:12 am »

Is it just me or is that dragon-fighting guy woefully under dressed for the climate? I know Nords are supposed to be resistant to cold, but still, it looks awkward to me...

you obviously never heard of the viking berserkers high off shrooms running into battles with nothing but a large bladed weapon.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: February 24, 2011, 11:35:27 am »

Dragons are just angry nudists.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: February 24, 2011, 11:51:01 am »

Not to pour cold water on the trailer, but I wonder how much of it is real and how much is just cinematic scripting.  The fight with the dragon looked totally fake.  I liked the more realistic movements in the character though.

The way the towns looked like Oblivion redux.  The architecture, and a lot of the detail didn't look all that much better.  The waterfall water looked pretty terrible as well.

Still haven't seen anything in this game that improves over Oblivion other than slightly better animations and textures.  It could have passed off for a Dragon Age trailer and nobody would have known the difference with the dragon fight and the blood spatters.   ::)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:53:17 am by GaelicVigil »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: February 24, 2011, 11:56:19 am »

Honestly, from the people and the creatures in the trailer, it looks like they brought back more of a morrowind style of clothing, stuff that is actually interesting and not so freaking plain like in Oblivion.   For what looks like fighting it seems a damn sight better.... course that could all be made up.  Still looks good so far.
Nom nom nom

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: February 24, 2011, 11:56:38 am »

I found the atmospherics to be fantastic, personally.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: February 24, 2011, 11:59:34 am »

some looked good, but it seemed to me that they used alot of generic filler terrain in the trailer, like there was nice ruins and towns, but it seems they went with alot of generic fantasy forest.  God I hope we get ladders and climbing abilities now.
Nom nom nom

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: February 24, 2011, 12:56:22 pm »

He was that way before the fire blast as well, so he should be glad for that blast if anything. Probably warmed him up good, maybe that's why he wasn't burninated, because he was so cool  :P
Entropy is not what it used to be.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1658 on: February 24, 2011, 01:05:01 pm »

some looked good, but it seemed to me that they used alot of generic filler terrain in the trailer, like there was nice ruins and towns, but it seems they went with alot of generic fantasy forest.  God I hope we get ladders and climbing abilities now.
Do you really want the world to be crammed with ruins and everything to run into every five seconds? The real world doesn't have landmarks all over the place (and no dragons, skeletons, etc., but that's beside the point). It has miles and miles of nothing but forest. Sometimes nothing but forest gives the world some proper breathing room, and gives it a real sense of scale. If not, it just serves as filler. It's all just a matter of how much there is.

Also, I can't help but think that those dragons (actually wyverns anyway, no front legs) looked kind of silly flying with those tiny wings of theirs.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1659 on: February 24, 2011, 01:10:42 pm »

Yeah, I'm all for lots of wilderness, if only so there's a bit of space for mods to add in areas. That said, a variety of different kinds of wilderness would be preferable.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1660 on: February 24, 2011, 01:17:09 pm »

Yeah, I'm all for lots of wilderness, if only so there's a bit of space for mods to add in areas. That said, a variety of different kinds of wilderness would be preferable.
Well, what do you expect in the far north? You basically have two options, taiga and tundra.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: February 24, 2011, 01:20:12 pm »

Well, what do you expect in the far north? You basically have two options, taiga and tundra.
And bland rocky mountain, don't forget that.

I never really understand people who bash on these landscapes. They look great. Sure there are no giant mushroom trees, but not every world needs to be crammed with alien landscapes. Some amount of familiarity is nice. And hey they at least made some stylistic and cultural flourish with nordic themes.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: February 24, 2011, 01:41:40 pm »

Do you really want the world to be crammed with ruins and everything to run into every five seconds? The real world doesn't have landmarks all over the place (and no dragons, skeletons, etc., but that's beside the point). It has miles and miles of nothing but forest. Sometimes nothing but forest gives the world some proper breathing room, and gives it a real sense of scale. If not, it just serves as filler. It's all just a matter of how much there is.

Also, I can't help but think that those dragons (actually wyverns anyway, no front legs) looked kind of silly flying with those tiny wings of theirs.
No. He said the ruins and towns looked nice, but the wilderness was generic. He didn't say the wilderness could use more ruins and towns.

And the real world has natural landmarks all over the place. A fallen tree could be a landmark. Or a particularly looking slope, cliff, stream or a mountain peak. You need only to compare Gothic and Oblivion to see the difference between a wilderness with distinguishable landmarks and something that looks like it was generated by a polynomial function.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: February 24, 2011, 01:49:40 pm »

No. He said the ruins and towns looked nice, but the wilderness was generic. He didn't say the wilderness could use more ruins and towns.

And the real world has natural landmarks all over the place. A fallen tree could be a landmark. Or a particularly looking slope, cliff, stream or a mountain peak. You need only to compare Gothic and Oblivion to see the difference between a wilderness with distinguishable landmarks and something that looks like it was generated by a polynomial function.
That was exactly my point, the forest to me seemed to look rather 'painted' on, since all the trees appeared exactly the same, I mean the occasional larger tree, split one, nealy dead, or maybe only a few branches would greatly add to the game since the huge amounts of forest for scale and such would actually feel like a giant forest, not some type of repeating background like what was used on chases in old cartoons.  That being said.... oblivion was bad for that, and morrowind I felt took it a bit too far until everything was so unique you couldn't find the damn roads.  Hopefully it has a good midpoint.
Nom nom nom

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: February 24, 2011, 01:53:51 pm »

Well, Skyrim has at least one broken tree visible in one of the screenshots, so we know at least those will be there.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 201