Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265763 times)

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1590 on: February 15, 2011, 03:25:02 pm »

Maybe it could be made into a game. In ASCII perhaps.
Please take it to another thread, though, this is for Skyrim.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: February 15, 2011, 03:54:58 pm »

All I'm saying is that the fact that Unicorns exist doesn't imply that every single book is correct, and more importantly that we shouldn't let a handful of books that represent the perceptions of a few wizards prevent us from inventing a story that is entertaining.

That said, I feel that at this point inventing a totally new universe is far better than shoehorning space travel into TES.
Don't worry, I read the rest of the post as well, and while interesting, it's not very related to TES; however, I felt I needed to clarify nitpick about something: "Space travel" already exist in the ES universe (the Sun-Birds of Alinor and the Imperial Mananauts), and so does spaceships (Akatosh's "spaceship", the Ur Tower). It's space that doesn't exist. Or planets (as we know them). Or stars. And other such spacieties.
Love, scriver~

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: February 15, 2011, 03:56:19 pm »

You know your lore is weird when you have spaceships but no space.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: February 15, 2011, 03:58:06 pm »

All I'm saying is that the fact that Unicorns exist doesn't imply that every single book is correct, and more importantly that we shouldn't let a handful of books that represent the perceptions of a few wizards prevent us from inventing a story that is entertaining.

That said, I feel that at this point inventing a totally new universe is far better than shoehorning space travel into TES.
Don't worry, I read the rest of the post as well, and while interesting, it's not very related to TES; however, I felt I needed to clarify nitpick about something: "Space travel" already exist in the ES universe (the Sun-Birds of Alinor and the Imperial Mananauts), and so does spaceships (Akatosh's "spaceship", the Ur Tower). It's space that doesn't exist. Or planets (as we know them). Or stars. And other such spacieties.

Got any in-game sources about any of those things, though?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1594 on: February 15, 2011, 04:12:17 pm »

Maybe it could be made into a game. In ASCII perhaps.
Please take it to another thread, though, this is for Skyrim.

Done and done.

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: February 15, 2011, 04:13:01 pm »

You know your lore is weird when you have spaceships but no space.
They're totally symbolic and phallic and stuff. It's the only way to be popular these days.

Got any in-game sources about any of those things, though?
I'm not of the opinion that lore shared by the writers should be left out simply because it was not included in the games.
Mananauts and Sun-birds
Akatosh's "spaceship" - search for "His sleek and silver vessel"
Cosmology

If you believe that only "official" lore counts, then only the first link is valid, I guess. But I can definitely explain of Pelinal is a time-travelling laser-wielding Terminator through in-game sources! ;D

edit: I could probably find more and better sources with more time and perhaps even help from some of the lore-buffs, but this is all I got from a quick look-through.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 04:15:18 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: February 15, 2011, 04:21:37 pm »

I'm not of the opinion that lore shared by the writers should be left out simply because it was not included in the games.

It's not that I don't care about it, just that I consider it slightly differently. After all, we can't pretend that "canon" vs. "non-canon" is some boolean attribute, or never changes, so I weight things found in-game a bit more heavily than things found outside them, although both are certainly interesting.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: February 15, 2011, 04:25:13 pm »

I think that his point is that there really isn't room for another star.

Which is a terrible thing to deduce from looking at our solar system. There are more binary star systems (in real life) than there are systems with only one star.

Edit: Except for all the red dwarves that don't have companions.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 05:32:27 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: February 15, 2011, 04:36:13 pm »

While that is true, having a sun between an earth like planet and the star that you actualy see in the sky in the way picture before would be impossible. Stars so close to eachother would most likely destroy eachother or merge.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 04:58:12 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: February 15, 2011, 05:19:51 pm »

While that is true, having a sun between an earth like planet and the star that you actualy see in the sky in the way picture before would be impossible. Stars so close to eachother would most likely destroy eachother or merge.

Considering that you would see two "suns" in the sky, and one of them would be closer than the other, then by any definition one would be closer than the other.

Of course you're correct that there's no way you could have a star pass in front of a planet's moon in real life in an ordinary solar system (and if a rogue star flew between a planet and its moon it would disrupt their orbits and probably fling them into deep space). TES's systems aren't real life, and the "stars" and "moons" don't move in any case, from what you folks have shown of the lore.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: February 15, 2011, 05:38:09 pm »

It's not that I don't care about it, just that I consider it slightly differently. After all, we can't pretend that "canon" vs. "non-canon" is some boolean attribute, or never changes, so I weight things found in-game a bit more heavily than things found outside them, although both are certainly interesting.
Aah, forgive my premature defense mechanism. Personally I tend to believe all lore is equel, if for no other reason than that a lot of the finer points of the metaphysics is lost without the unofficial texts.

Not so very much in this case, though. ;)
Love, scriver~

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: February 16, 2011, 11:06:02 pm »

Some of the best lore is the non-canon stuff.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: February 16, 2011, 11:22:00 pm »

One reason I loved Morrowind so much is that the meaning of "canon" isn't the same as it is for most universes. For the most part, TES "canon" just means that someone in the universe came up with it, not that it's gospel. This is one of my favorite parts of TES: The fact that learning about it works pretty much the same as if you actually lived there (and had access to a damn good library).

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1603 on: February 19, 2011, 02:05:54 am »

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/1407/article/bethesda-reveals-new-skyrim-facts/

Well, some interesting points, a few of which are VERY hopeful:

* As a game that's more or less an open sandbox, players will be able to perform free-form activities like cooking, woodcutting, mining, and blacksmithing.

* With regards to the story, the death of the King of Skyrim has caused a civil war to break out in the country.
BAH! HA HA HA HA! I bet they read my thread!

* Every large settlement in the land of Skyrim will be unique. The city of Marketh Side is set into a cliffside, with buildings teetering on the edge. Haarfingar is said to be home to the largest trading port in Skyrim. One of the cities in Skyrim is even said to be heavily inspired by the Dunmer architecture of Morrowind.
Oh, now they're just trying to prove it'll be as good as Morrowind.

* The economy of "Skyrim" will be better developed than the one in previous games. If you destroy a city's means of income (for instance, by razing their crops), its inhabitants will have to purchase crops from a nearby city, thereby raising prices.
Wha? That's admittedly awesome, but as soon as this starts moving along, things would get pretty weird when an iron longsword costs more than a strawberry.

* Most NPCs will not have a complete set of dialogue, with only "important" characters having substantial dialogue.
What does this mean? It's a bit worrying...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: February 19, 2011, 02:21:47 am »

One of the cities in Skyrim is even said to be heavily inspired by the Dunmer architecture of Morrowind. [...] Oh, now they're just trying to prove it'll be as good as Morrowind.

Don't worry, when they say "inspired by Dunmer architecture" they mean "like Cheydinhal".

And how exactly is any of this different to the way Oblivion was flaunted?

Edit:

* One of the new "Dragon Shout" abilities slows down time, and is similar to Bullet Time.

HAHA OH WOW
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 02:26:05 am by 3 »
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 201