Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265884 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1530 on: February 11, 2011, 08:48:36 pm »

You do realize my point was that there's a lack of originality and creativity, right? I don't see how pointing out that yes, they're Standard Fantasy ZombiesTM, is a rebuttal to that. And yes, I do think there's room for innovation. Check out Morrowind's undead: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Undead Yes, you have your standard skeletons and ghosts. But the zombies are more like Frankenstein monsters, with screws and metal bits sticking out of them. The liches levitate, have four arms, and a floating skull that is held in place by the hood. I sure as hell haven't seen that anywhere else. So yeah, Bethsoft can do it when they really want to. They're just being lazy again, instead of using their brains to come up with something interesting they just went "we're making a viking game, so let's put some beard on the zombies".

I get what you mean, but it seemed at the time like you were giving those similarities as proof that one is a "knockoff" of the other, which is kind of a silly assessment.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: February 11, 2011, 11:30:32 pm »

You certainly can't just expect Beth or any RPG developer to suddenly eschew every cliche'd mook. And I'd say those zombies were pretty good looking, if it's the graphics they're trying to show off.

And I wouldn't say the guy from PotC is a ripoff of LeChuck. Isn't LeChuck supposed to be a walking cliche in the first place?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: February 12, 2011, 08:17:03 am »

Well in terms of appearance he's basically an undead Blackbeard. Since the new PotC movie will actually have Blackbeard in it, it seems we've come full circle.

And I don't expect Bethsoft to eschew every cliché mook, but I would expect them to have some that are original. It's kinda the same thing as with the static hair we discussed a few pages back. My reasoning is that if they had them, they'd be showing them off. So far they haven't released a single screenshot that would pique my interest and make me go "wow, that's so cool". So far we have Standard Fantasy DragonsTM, Standard Fantasy Man-Eating GiantsTM, and Standard Fantasy Undead Nordic WarriorsTM (which we've actually already seen before). And a deer. C'mon, Bethsoft! Get crackin', chop, chop!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: February 12, 2011, 08:43:20 am »

The draugr were actually probably more flavorful than what these new zombies look like; then again, we have no real knowledge of them.

But yeah, I see your point.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: February 12, 2011, 11:09:58 am »

They look pretty much the same to me, actually. The helmet is almost exactly the same, and they have that brown leather thing around their hips. Thankfully Bethsoft made it look a lot less like a miniskirt this time. Maybe they'll be cool. We'll see.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 02:29:05 pm by Sordid »

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: February 12, 2011, 12:33:54 pm »

Sordid, Your pessimistic arn't you?

Well, On the bright side the fact that the beard can stick onto the bone means that... Well... They have magic besides just being a walking talking undead...?
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: February 12, 2011, 12:40:29 pm »

Everytime I look into this thread I see the very same things, IE people making morrowind comparisons and saying something akin to "OMG ITS A NEW TES IT'LL BE HORRIBUL LIKE OBLIVION WHY CAN'T EVERYTHING EVER BE LIKE MORROWIND OH GOD THESE GRAPHICS ARE GENERIC AND STATIC HAIR OH HELL ALSO OMG A DIFFERENT INTERFACE I'M GONNA RIP ME EYES OFF".

Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: February 12, 2011, 12:41:45 pm »

Are you mad that other people are agreeing with each other sometimes and that you disagree with them? If so, would you care to actually provide a counter-argument to any of it, or are you just here to whine?

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: February 12, 2011, 12:43:13 pm »

Everytime I look into this thread I see the very same things, IE people making morrowind comparisons and saying something akin to "OMG ITS A NEW TES IT'LL BE HORRIBUL LIKE OBLIVION WHY CAN'T EVERYTHING EVER BE LIKE MORROWIND OH GOD THESE GRAPHICS ARE GENERIC AND STATIC HAIR OH HELL ALSO OMG A DIFFERENT INTERFACE I'M GONNA RIP ME EYES OFF"

That's just sordid. I personally like the glowy blue undead eyes. I wonder if they glow in the dark. It'd be like the new minecraft skeleton.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: February 12, 2011, 01:10:26 pm »

Are you mad that other people are agreeing with each other sometimes and that you disagree with them? If so, would you care to actually provide a counter-argument to any of it, or are you just here to whine?

Not really, just pointing out reality, the very silly reality of several people trying to look serious by repeately bashing a game they barely know anything about. Of course, those "several people" might consist of only sordid, and yourself pherhaps :P

Just sort of wanting to ask, why so mad people? Nobody even knows how the new engine will work and anything we have so far is just a few screenshots, is this really enough info to conclude the next TES will be a huge turd that will bring about the end of everything and cause your "olawd RPG games r dead!1" selves to explode in a million nerd raging pieces?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: February 12, 2011, 02:08:25 pm »

Not really, just pointing out reality, the very silly reality of several people trying to look serious by repeately bashing a game they barely know anything about. Of course, those "several people" might consist of only sordid, and yourself pherhaps :P

Just sort of wanting to ask, why so mad people? Nobody even knows how the new engine will work and anything we have so far is just a few screenshots, is this really enough info to conclude the next TES will be a huge turd that will bring about the end of everything and cause your "olawd RPG games r dead!1" selves to explode in a million nerd raging pieces?

Personnally, I like the new games made by bethsoft... Only one feature really makes it worth my money... Playing the with the dead corpses... Extra content you say?, Whoop-de-doo!
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: February 12, 2011, 02:31:33 pm »

That's just sordid. I personally like the glowy blue undead eyes.

Actually I kinda like them too, although I don't really see why they didn't stick with the red ones the draugr had in Bloodmoon. Eh, whatever.

I wonder if they glow in the dark. It'd be like the new minecraft skeleton.

Wait, what? Last time I played Minecraft (a few days ago) skeletons didn't have glowy eyes. Was there an update? ???

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: February 12, 2011, 04:07:17 pm »

No, I mean the new thing that is surprisingly scary, like minecraft's monsters are. You suddenly notice a pair of blue eyes in the darkness, you poop yourself. Similar to how minecraft had skeletons, except they were scary because of their arrows suddenly whizzing by.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 04:10:12 pm by Cheese »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: February 12, 2011, 04:10:57 pm »

Cause you're only allowed to speak positively about games you don't know that much about, right?

If people only praised or only complained, then it'd be a boring thread. If you want only praises, then go to the Elder Scrolls Forums or something. You can literally get banned without warning for complaining there.

Also, we know a bit more than nothing about the game. That's what previews are for. And we know Bethesda is the developer and we know their track record. You don't have to be angry about something to speculate based on available knowledge.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 04:16:35 pm by Virtz »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: February 12, 2011, 04:24:23 pm »

Edit: Nevermind, brainfart.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 04:47:42 pm by Sordid »
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 201