Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265828 times)

Tyberix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1515 on: February 11, 2011, 03:25:31 pm »

Woah,dragon/something dragonlike looks cool,same for the fog/horizon combo. Undead for sure are nicer than oblivion ones(bearded one is great  ;p), but why the hell i have that feeling that all of them would like like these.
Also they should really change something in the lightning model - the cave walls still look slimy,shiny and unnatural even with the additional details. This makes me pretty sure they don't want to change the oblivion-y feel to the game, or the changing the engine is their worst nightmare ;p. Trees on the other hand look ten times better hope it's not the end of game graphical evolution :P

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: February 11, 2011, 05:04:44 pm »

Four new screenies.
Those are some angry undead beasties. The weapons actually look ancient, looks pretty awesome.

We had a discussion on those a few pages back.

Oh, and I didn't mention it earlier, but the draw distance still looks identical to Oblivion (terrible) in the dragon pic.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 05:06:45 pm by GaelicVigil »

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: February 11, 2011, 05:08:53 pm »

So we did..

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: February 11, 2011, 05:18:11 pm »

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: February 11, 2011, 05:30:23 pm »

“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: February 11, 2011, 06:10:52 pm »

Is that a zombie pirate? If so, get it out of the moonlight.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: February 11, 2011, 06:44:15 pm »

No, it's a zombie viking. And therefore a completely original creature, and totally not a knock-off. Admittedly Barbossa himself was a knock-off of LeChuck, but c'mon. Undead? Check. Beard? Check. Teeth showing between the beard? Check. Blue eyes? Check. The only thing missing's the hat. I get that it's hard to come up with interesting monsters and zombies are one of the fantasy classics, so obviously a fantasy game set in a viking world has to have viking zombies. But at least a little bit of creativity wouldn't go amiss, I'd say.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:49:30 pm by Sordid »

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: February 11, 2011, 06:46:41 pm »

Oh, that reminds me: Are we going to have pilotable boats in this one?
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: February 11, 2011, 06:49:33 pm »

Whoa. There was a moment in Oblivion where I was adventuring in some ruins. It was midnight, and everything was quiet. The sounds came through my headset.

I open a tresure chest and I notice afterward that a door that i'd closed was open. I went to check it out- there was nothing there. I turned around and there was a skeleton, running at me.

Now though... they've made them so much worse.I'm going to have to steak around them now.
Everybody!

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: February 11, 2011, 06:50:27 pm »

I'm going to have to steak around them now.

I don't see how bringing a cow to a dungeon's going to be any help at all.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: February 11, 2011, 07:01:20 pm »

Undead? Check. Beard? Check. Teeth showing between the beard? Check.
That doesn't look like a beard, it looks like the muscles that operate one's jaw. The similarities stop at "OMG UNDEADS AM IDENTICALS!" seeing as how the eyes are a different shade, and glowing.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: February 11, 2011, 07:11:30 pm »

Undead? Check. Beard? Check. Teeth showing between the beard? Check. Blue eyes? Check. The only thing missing's the hat. I get that it's hard to come up with interesting monsters and zombies are one of the fantasy classics, so obviously a fantasy game set in a viking world has to have viking zombies. But at least a little bit of creativity wouldn't go amiss, I'd say.

Er, what did you expect? A viking to not have a beard? Or for it to be a toothless zombie? The only thing there that matters at all is that they have the same eye color. You might as well have said "Head? Check. Jawbone? Check. Remnants of flesh? Check."
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: February 11, 2011, 07:11:45 pm »

That doesn't look like a beard, it looks like the muscles that operate one's jaw. The similarities stop at "OMG UNDEADS AM IDENTICALS!" seeing as how the eyes are a different shade, and glowing.
Jaw muscles of a different colour than the rest of the facial muscles? That looks like a beard to me. With a viking braid down the middle even. Though I don't really care much for similarities. Undeads are undeads, you can hardly get original here, it's just varying levels of decay.

Although Bethesda was involved in development of the Pirates of the Carribean game (aka Sea Dogs 2). Maybe they dug up their old concept art from there and took a hint from that? But ah, whatever.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: February 11, 2011, 07:34:45 pm »

Jaw muscles of a different colour than the rest of the facial muscles? That looks like a beard to me. With a viking braid down the middle even. Though I don't really care much for similarities. Undeads are undeads, you can hardly get original here, it's just varying levels of decay.

Although Bethesda was involved in development of the Pirates of the Carribean game (aka Sea Dogs 2). Maybe they dug up their old concept art from there and took a hint from that? But ah, whatever.
The rest of the face looks like bare bone or taught skin, and the braid looks like part of the throat, but considering how blurry the picture is it's hard to be certain.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: February 11, 2011, 07:36:49 pm »

If by "development" you mean "bought a completely unrelated game from a Russian developer, swapped out some names and models, and slapped the PotC brand on it", then yeah.

Er, what did you expect? A viking to not have a beard? Or for it to be a toothless zombie? The only thing there that matters at all is that they have the same eye color. You might as well have said "Head? Check. Jawbone? Check. Remnants of flesh? Check."

You do realize my point was that there's a lack of originality and creativity, right? I don't see how pointing out that yes, they're Standard Fantasy ZombiesTM, is a rebuttal to that. And yes, I do think there's room for innovation. Check out Morrowind's undead: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Undead Yes, you have your standard skeletons and ghosts. But the zombies are more like Frankenstein monsters, with screws and metal bits sticking out of them. The liches levitate, have four arms, and a floating skull that is held in place by the hood. I sure as hell haven't seen that anywhere else. So yeah, Bethsoft can do it when they really want to. They're just being lazy again, instead of using their brains to come up with something interesting they just went "we're making a viking game, so let's put some beard on the zombies".

The braid looks like part of the throat, but considering how blurry the picture is it's hard to be certain.

Oh bollocks, it's totally a braid. The other zombie has one too.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 201