Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265972 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1470 on: February 10, 2011, 12:30:17 pm »

oh shut up you big baby.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: February 10, 2011, 12:31:45 pm »

Already got em.  I actually prefer playing some games on the console over the PC ya know...

Philistine.
I like to refer to it as polygamy.  No need to anchor myself to a single system.  Why not have em all?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: February 10, 2011, 12:50:49 pm »

I like to refer to it as polygamy.  No need to anchor myself to a single system.  Why not have em all?

Because some are not worth having? Just because I can have a fat, ugly-ass chick and my gorgeous girlfriend doesn't mind, that doesn't mean I want to.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: February 10, 2011, 12:56:05 pm »

Ya know... this is getting nowhere.  "I'm 'wrong' and you are right." and lets leave it at that.

Also....
Demons Souls' total conversion mod would be epic for a TES game.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: February 10, 2011, 12:56:29 pm »

Some games are better suited to Consoles than PCs, good games at that. I see it like this, with PCs you have a rediculas amount of control over what you do but it isn't as smooth becouse the controls can be all over the keyboard. Consoles have much less control, but control much smoother. Games like Prototype, which I personilly love, rely on quick smooth movement and control, it just wouldn't work as well on a PC.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1475 on: February 10, 2011, 01:02:43 pm »

The problem is that you can plug a controller into a PC. You can't plug a keyboard into a console.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: February 10, 2011, 01:05:23 pm »

what do you guys want, another famicom?

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: February 10, 2011, 01:27:12 pm »

The problem is that you can plug a controller into a PC. You can't plug a keyboard into a console.

Actually yeah, you can. But not a lot of games make a meaningful use of them.
Way I see it, the PC can do everything consoles can, but consoles can't do everything the PC can. I do admit their controllers are better, though. After trying five or so different PC gamepads I just said screw that and bought myself a PS3 one.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: February 10, 2011, 01:37:52 pm »

Actually yeah, you can. But not a lot of games make a meaningful use of them.
Way I see it, the PC can do everything consoles can, but consoles can't do everything the PC can. I do admit their controllers are better, though. After trying five or so different PC gamepads I just said screw that and bought myself a PS3 one.

it way simpler: console maker have top tier loss leader exclusive for their console (gran turismo, forza, killzone, fable, halo) exactly for the purpose of differentiation from their worst competitor, pc.

pc platform on the other hand has lost his momentum as microsoft is now focused on loss leaders to push its own console. so the pc market share shrink, or at least, you have an artificial reason to buy a pc and a console.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: February 10, 2011, 01:47:17 pm »

Games like Prototype, which I personilly love, rely on quick smooth movement and control, it just wouldn't work as well on a PC.
Worked pretty well for me.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: February 10, 2011, 03:01:59 pm »

Some games are better suited to Consoles than PCs, good games at that. I see it like this, with PCs you have a rediculas amount of control over what you do but it isn't as smooth becouse the controls can be all over the keyboard. Consoles have much less control, but control much smoother. Games like Prototype, which I personilly love, rely on quick smooth movement and control, it just wouldn't work as well on a PC.

I'm really not sure how that makes sense.

Sure, I guess if you want to map your movement keys to WASD and then stick your jump key on NUMPAD0 you're going to have some awkward controls...  But most folks don't do that.

I generally map my movement to ESDF.  That puts my thumb right over the SPACEBAR, which is typically used for jumping, and my pinky over A, which I'll typically map to something that's going to get a lot of use - a 'use' key, or run, or crouch, or something like that.  That leaves me with ~12 more keys within easy reach of my left hand.  Plus about 5 mouse buttons. 

I can manage quick, smooth movement and control just fine.

Why not?

I haven't played on a console recently, so maybe they've become absolutely stupid and crippled in the intervening years...  But the PS2 had straight-up USB ports on it.  And you could plug pretty much any USB keyboard and mouse into it.  And you could even run Linux on the thing.

The original Xbox didn't have any official keyboards available, but you could make one work.

I thought the PS3 also had support for Linux, which would mean keyboard support...

Regardless of all that...  We're talking about electronics and software here.  There's absolutely no reason at all why you couldn't use a keyboard and mouse on a console.  Maybe the developer doesn't want to support it...  But that's just a choice.  It isn't some physical impossibility just because it's a console.

I mean, hell, look at the beastly controller they developed for Steel Battalion.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: February 10, 2011, 03:23:43 pm »

Why not?

I haven't played on a console recently, so maybe they've become absolutely stupid and crippled in the intervening years...  But the PS2 had straight-up USB ports on it.  And you could plug pretty much any USB keyboard and mouse into it.  And you could even run Linux on the thing.

The original Xbox didn't have any official keyboards available, but you could make one work.

I thought the PS3 also had support for Linux, which would mean keyboard support...

Regardless of all that...  We're talking about electronics and software here.  There's absolutely no reason at all why you couldn't use a keyboard and mouse on a console.  Maybe the developer doesn't want to support it...  But that's just a choice.  It isn't some physical impossibility just because it's a console.

I mean, hell, look at the beastly controller they developed for Steel Battalion.

Yes, technically you can plug a keyboard into a Console, but only a select few games actually make use of it.  On the other hand, you can make any PC game compatible with a controller (or any other control scheme) either though the interface itself, or by using third-party software.

Heck, some guy even got his Kinect to play Minecraft on his PC.  I'd love to see someone try to use a keyboard and mouse on their XBox and play Halo even close to the level of someone playing with a controller on their PC.

[/thread derail]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 03:27:28 pm by GaelicVigil »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: February 10, 2011, 03:37:20 pm »

I'm really not sure how that makes sense.

Sure, I guess if you want to map your movement keys to WASD and then stick your jump key on NUMPAD0 you're going to have some awkward controls...  But most folks don't do that.

I generally map my movement to ESDF.  That puts my thumb right over the SPACEBAR, which is typically used for jumping, and my pinky over A, which I'll typically map to something that's going to get a lot of use - a 'use' key, or run, or crouch, or something like that.  That leaves me with ~12 more keys within easy reach of my left hand.  Plus about 5 mouse buttons. 

I can manage quick, smooth movement and control just fine.

I think he meant analog input via the sticks (and pressure-sensitive buttons, although almost no games utilize that). Try as you might, you're not getting that from a keyboard. Like I said earlier, the controller is a fantastic invention. I just see no reason to plug it into a console.

it way simpler: console maker have top tier loss leader exclusive for their console (gran turismo, forza, killzone, fable, halo) exactly for the purpose of differentiation from their worst competitor, pc.

pc platform on the other hand has lost his momentum as microsoft is now focused on loss leaders to push its own console. so the pc market share shrink, or at least, you have an artificial reason to buy a pc and a console.

Yeah, the exclusive games are the only thing consoles have going for them. But they need those, as you point out, to stand out against the PC. If these were on the PC as well, nobody would bother. Though to be quite fair, the only really good one out of those you mention is Gran Turismo. Forza's a knock-off of that, I'd rather have the original, so no thanks. Don't even know what Killzone is, and we have Fable and Fable 3 on the PC as well. The reason the Halo games stopped coming to the PC is that they're completely mediocre shooters than can only awe console kiddies who have never played a proper one, but of course PC gamers gave them a rightfully deserved lukewarm reception. I would also add Team Ico games to that list, particularly their new thing for the PS3, Last Guardian I think it's going to be called. That looks superb, but of course as Penny Arcade pointed out, there are only two ways it can possibly end - the boy dies or the griffin dies. Still, if their previous games are any indication, it's going to be fantastic.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 03:41:27 pm by Sordid »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: February 10, 2011, 04:16:06 pm »

and we have Fable and Fable 3 on the PC as well.

It's nice to see that you continue to live in a completely make-believe world.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: February 10, 2011, 04:33:18 pm »

and we have Fable and Fable 3 on the PC as well.

It's nice to see that you continue to live in a completely make-believe world.
One can only hope.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 201