Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265971 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1455 on: February 10, 2011, 08:45:47 am »

OK, numero uno, im not sure what some of you are smoking but if think that skyrim's graphics are a shitty oblivion's then it must be some good ****, mkay?

Oblivion's graphics were good.  Nothing amazing, but they were good.  Certainly an improvement over Morrowind's graphics.  And I guess that's my complaint...  Skyrim's graphics don't look like much of an improvement over Oblivion's.  It looks almost like it could be DLC for Oblivion.

secondly, who cares? this is on a game's forum which has little to no graphics.

Graphics have never been a selling point for DF.  I don't think I've ever seen anybody boasting that the new version has shaders, or more polygons, or higher resolutions, or anything.  But that's one of the things you see mentioned with Skyrim - improved graphics.  Well, if you're going to try to sell me a game based on the graphics, you better make the graphics look like something I want to buy.

I really hate the new df model for the elves. Ok, 'e' has smooth curved surfaces and all, but I really liked the retro style of 'E'

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: February 10, 2011, 08:54:08 am »

Oblivion's graphics were good.  Nothing amazing, but they were good.  Certainly an improvement over Morrowind's graphics.  And I guess that's my complaint...  Skyrim's graphics don't look like much of an improvement over Oblivion's.  It looks almost like it could be DLC for Oblivion.

I guess that's a natural result of developing something for a console that's several years old, eh?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: February 10, 2011, 08:56:10 am »

I really hate the new df model for the elves. Ok, 'e' has smooth curved surfaces and all, but I really liked the retro style of 'E'

You need to buy the new DLC that allows you to use DF's retro graphics for 10 money.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: February 10, 2011, 09:48:41 am »

I guess that's a natural result of developing something for a console that's several years old, eh?

It is.

And that's part of why it annoys me so much.

I'm tired of games being built for the lowest factor out there.

You cripple the graphics engine because you're going to run it on hardware that maxes out at HDTV resolutions.  Instead of building a nice graphics engine that can scale with the hardware and take advantage of the higher resolutions, speed, and more abundant RAM on a PC.

You rip out most of the UI and simplify it to the point where it's actually harder to use a mouse than it is to go out and buy a gamepad for your PC.

You remove half your skills and break the other half because you want to appeal to all those console gamers who apparently can't handle anything more complex than rock, paper, scissors.

You simplify your storyline down to the bare essentials.  Add plenty of guidance.  Practically drag your players from one goal to the next.  Because console gamers obviously can't figure out what to do on their own.

And before you know it, the game you're playing looks absolutely nothing like The Elder Scrolls.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: February 10, 2011, 10:01:55 am »

You rip out most of the UI and simplify it to the point where it's actually harder to use a mouse than it is to go out and buy a gamepad for your PC.

That's not quite fair, Oblivion is a lot easier to play with a mouse. Primarily due to the fact that it doesn't recognize a generic gamepad at all and even with a 360 one the right stick does nothing, so you can't control the direction your character looks.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: February 10, 2011, 10:48:37 am »

Multi-port games.... gimping your PC gaming experience since the dawn of mankind.
*Insert thumbs up*

Heck, no ability to apply player mods onto console games is the biggest gimp ever when you look at moddable games in a PC vs Console view.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: February 10, 2011, 10:50:32 am »

ps3 can if you can hack it, there was one for the 360 but it involved burning it into a pirated disc.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: February 10, 2011, 11:10:43 am »

ps3 can if you can hack it, there was one for the 360 but it involved burning it into a pirated disc.

You can apply player mods onto games like Oblivian/FO3 with the ps3 hack/360 pirate?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: February 10, 2011, 11:16:59 am »

Zangi: Morrowind wasn't ruined by it's console port.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: February 10, 2011, 11:24:00 am »

Zangi: Morrowind wasn't ruined by it's console port.
oh yes it was, loading was a bitch from dvd, HD install was so much better.

You can apply player mods onto games like Oblivian/FO3 with the ps3 hack/360 pirate?
the ps3 hack is the easiest one cause you can put the mods right next to the dlc in the HD and just edit the ini file to run them, 360 was hard cause we don't have access to the HD so you had to burn the mods into a pirate disc.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: February 10, 2011, 11:29:50 am »

Huh, might look into it if I ever get brain damage and buy a moddable adventure/rpg game for the console...

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: February 10, 2011, 11:31:05 am »

Huh, might look into it if I ever get brain damage and buy a console...

Fix'd.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: February 10, 2011, 11:33:18 am »

ps3 then if you want those modding capabilities, you have to hack it for the Bethesda games, but there is some games that let you mod ie. Unreal Tournament 3 lets you use mods from your flash drive :D

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: February 10, 2011, 11:49:37 am »

Huh, might look into it if I ever get brain damage and buy a console...

Fix'd.

Already got em.  I actually prefer playing some games on the console over the PC ya know...

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: February 10, 2011, 12:26:51 pm »

Already got em.  I actually prefer playing some games on the console over the PC ya know...

Philistine.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 201