Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265954 times)

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1440 on: February 09, 2011, 12:25:40 pm »

Wow, the B12 forums arguing over graphics...

I frankly don't care if it looks EXACTLY like Oblivion if they just make it feel like Morrowind. We already know that this is Generic Cold Fantasy World #233062, though, so there goes that idea.

Except it's not going to feel like Morrowind at all.  I was at least hoping the graphics would make up for the ultra dumbed-down game-play.  Less skills, more leveled lists, closed cell loading, less towns, less classes, an IPhone UI, and now Oblivion-cloned graphics.  Does that sound like Morrowind to you?

Oh, and another thing.  For all the talk that this game will have many more varied environments, why have I only seen mountains and forests so far?  Just sayin...if they're trying to rid us of the bad taste we got from Oblivion, they're doing a terrible job of it so far by what they've shown us.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 12:33:04 pm by GaelicVigil »

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: February 09, 2011, 12:25:46 pm »

The screenshots are too small to make out the details that really pop. For one thing, the Foliage looks waaaaay better than it did in oblivion, especially the trees, which no longer seem so terribly generic. There's at least a bit of variety in them now.

Looking at the hunter pursing the buck; an examination of the arm allows you to make out some fairly nice detail, in how the bone defines the shape of the arm, and the muscles. I see clear vein structure and the fingers no longer look like tiny Bavarian sausages.

Character models seem to have far more detail, given that.

Where I do caution judgement is anywhere where lighting plays a big role. Shadows are very important to defining places and even the shapes of people and creatures, but they are also EXTREMELY hard to render in real time efficiently. Only the beefiest of graphics cards have the merest chance of rendering some of that scenery so beautifully.
!!&!!

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: February 09, 2011, 01:12:04 pm »

I kinda want to pipe in as a voice that isn't completely jaded, and say that I'm actually really, really looking forward to this game. Vanilla Oblivion blew my mind, and Vanilla Morrowind also blew my mind, so I'm eager to have further injury done to it this round.

Also, I'm impressed with the way they've redone the faces, and I'm now extremely curious how the beastyfolk are going to look.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: February 09, 2011, 03:38:58 pm »

OK, numero uno, im not sure what some of you are smoking but if think that skyrim's graphics are a shitty oblivion's then it must be some good ****, mkay?

secondly, who cares? this is on a game's forum which has little to no graphics.

and lastly, yes, skyrim will PWN!!!11

scoopbeard out.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: February 09, 2011, 03:50:47 pm »

more leveled lists

how is even that possible?  :o

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: February 09, 2011, 04:17:45 pm »

more leveled lists

Well, they could pull the bosses from leveled lists. I guess.

"Prepare to face the final boss, a menacing... *looks at player level*... GOBLIN!"

As far as graphics go, as long as the wilderness isn't nauseatingly devoid of landmarks and people don't look "special", I don't really care all that much. Oh, and the bloom. As long as they don't over-do the bloom... again.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: February 09, 2011, 04:38:11 pm »

more leveled lists

Well, they could pull the bosses from leveled lists. I guess.

"Prepare to face the final boss, a menacing... *looks at player level*... GOBLIN!"

As far as graphics go, as long as the wilderness isn't nauseatingly devoid of landmarks and people don't look "special", I don't really care all that much. Oh, and the bloom. As long as they don't over-do the bloom... again.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

well one of the last enemy you actually fight on the main oblivion quest is level PC+10, and has 35 + (3+0.6)x(PC+9), PC=1-91 health...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: February 09, 2011, 04:58:31 pm »

Heh, Mankar Cameron was easy. I had a sword of silencing. :P
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: February 09, 2011, 07:00:47 pm »

True PC RPG games are dead.

To be quite fair, they have been for some time. It's not like that's a startling new revelation, nor is it Bethsoft's fault.

its not even an RPG at all! i mean look at it! in what way is this supposed to be an RPG if you can do quests and stuff? the athore coments al totol lies!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: February 09, 2011, 07:03:49 pm »

To be quite fair, they have been for some time. It's not like that's a startling new revelation, nor is it Bethsoft's fault.

its not even an RPG at all! i mean look at it! in what way is this supposed to be an RPG if you can do quests and stuff? the athore coments al totol lies!

Thanks alot, I had to go watch that video another dozen times or so.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1450 on: February 09, 2011, 07:05:19 pm »

I always read the thread title as The Elder Scrolls Versus Skyrim.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

elitetaco3519

• Bay Watcher
  • The savior of Orzammar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: February 09, 2011, 07:13:55 pm »

This game will be great, I can't wait! (Insert contradicting trolling statement)
"...my word is poontang." Full Metal Jacket

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: February 10, 2011, 01:44:13 am »

As long as there is some good lore in there I'm happy.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: February 10, 2011, 02:11:33 am »

Thanks alot, I had to go watch that video another dozen times or so.
LINK ME
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 04:04:15 am by Rex_Nex »

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: February 10, 2011, 08:35:58 am »

OK, numero uno, im not sure what some of you are smoking but if think that skyrim's graphics are a shitty oblivion's then it must be some good ****, mkay?

Oblivion's graphics were good.  Nothing amazing, but they were good.  Certainly an improvement over Morrowind's graphics.  And I guess that's my complaint...  Skyrim's graphics don't look like much of an improvement over Oblivion's.  It looks almost like it could be DLC for Oblivion.

secondly, who cares? this is on a game's forum which has little to no graphics.

Graphics have never been a selling point for DF.  I don't think I've ever seen anybody boasting that the new version has shaders, or more polygons, or higher resolutions, or anything.  But that's one of the things you see mentioned with Skyrim - improved graphics.  Well, if you're going to try to sell me a game based on the graphics, you better make the graphics look like something I want to buy.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 201