Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 266132 times)

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1275 on: February 05, 2011, 01:05:11 pm »

Oh, going back to Argonians and Khajiit with digitigrade legs, do we have confirmation that these races will even be in? I recall reading something about Black Marsh and Elsweyr seceding from the empire and being at war with every other race, which to me sounds like an awfully convenient excuse not to have either of the beast races at all in Skyrim.

It wouldn't be a very good excuse at all. That'd be like saying that during WW2 there were no Germans in America. Just because the nations are at war, doesn't mean every member of that race is at war. Refugees and such.
The backlash would be insane.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: February 05, 2011, 01:23:49 pm »

Why on earth would gunpowder ever end up proliferated in a world where people can summon exploding fireballs with their mind? "Oh, while you're reloading your primitive, one shot muskets, I'll just turn the entire area where your army is standing into a sea of fire." Technology and engineering are what comes about to solve particular problems in the real world, where magic is imaginary (and, looking at the modern pop-cultural concept of a wizard in a tower full of esoteric diagrams, apparently a layman's conception of an engineer). To compound that, the people educated enough to devise such things in the first place are probably educated in magic, leaving them with a sort of "why bother working with this horribly inefficient, expensive theory, when I can just blow things up with my mind?" state of mind.

Magic also supplies answers to just about every other problem technology and engineering tries to solve: mages can walk on and breath under water, they can move heavy objects with their mind, they can heal mortal wounds, and in Morrowind they could fly and teleport at will, even operating a network of teleportation stations for non-mages to use. There's just no driving reason to create more advanced technology in such a world. Honestly, I'd expect to see mages in a more prominent role, with more refined techniques, but then again their divisive and batshit insane internal politics likely precludes that, what with things like their sudden and unfounded/unprecedented necromancy ban and whatnot (and the "ban" on levitation, slowfall, and jumping spells ::)).

Oh, going back to Argonians and Khajiit with digitigrade legs, do we have confirmation that these races will even be in? I recall reading something about Black Marsh and Elsweyr seceding from the empire and being at war with every other race, which to me sounds like an awfully convenient excuse not to have either of the beast races at all in Skyrim.
Let's hope. Skyrim's probably too cold for the lizard fuckers, and here's to hoping drunken vikings don't like filthy furries either. Will be a bit sad that we can't violently purge them from the lands ourselves, though. >:D

I did like the more bestial appearance they had in Morrowind, though. They're filthy beasts below Men and Mer, and it's all the better when they look the part, instead of being freakish anthropomorphic lizards and cats.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: February 05, 2011, 01:25:06 pm »

Pseudo: The same reason we used crossbows / guns in favour of longbows in the real world.

Every fucker can use a gun or a crossbow. It takes training to use longbows.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: February 05, 2011, 01:36:12 pm »

Let's hope. Skyrim's probably too cold for the lizard fuckers, and here's to hoping drunken vikings don't like filthy furries either. Will be a bit sad that we can't violently purge them from the lands ourselves, though. >:D

Steps to make yourself look completely unsympathetic, Pseudonymous-style:
  • Relate fantasy race to the modern subculture of your choice.
  • Say you wish you could exterminate them. Bonus points for using words such as "filthy" and "purge".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: February 05, 2011, 01:37:39 pm »

Pseudo: The same reason we used crossbows / guns in favour of longbows in the real world.

Everyone can use magic, most just choose not to use it. Even a basic and easy to learn fireball spell would be more effective than early guns.

Pseudo:Why the hate for Argonians and Khajit? Personily Argonian is my favorate race in Oblivion, where I just can't be bothered to make or learn water breathing spells, and the poison immunity can be a life saver, the disease resistance removes quite a bit of annoyance.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: February 05, 2011, 01:42:54 pm »

Yeah, it's generally not a good idea to use video games to harbor prejudices. They'll leak over into real life and mess with you.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: February 05, 2011, 01:44:16 pm »

Also arrows couldn't pierce steel plate armour.

A better question would be why we used guns instead of heavy crossbows. They were less accurate and took longer to reload. Shock value? Cheaper/easier to mass produce?

Everyone can use magic, most just choose not to use it. Even a basic and easy to learn fireball spell would be more effective than early guns.
"Hmm, shall I now learn a spell and become powerful enough to earn an easy living as a hunter or bandit killer? Nah, I'll just sit around and keep begging for spare change."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: February 05, 2011, 01:45:18 pm »

Yeah, it's generally not a good idea to use video games to harbor prejudices. They'll leak over into real life and mess with you.

It's probably an even worse idea when you relate them to real-life groups. Not that I consider myself a "furry" by any stretch of the imagination, but damn that's tasteless.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: February 05, 2011, 01:48:00 pm »

A better question would be why we used guns instead of heavy crossbows. They were less accurate and took longer to reload. Shock value? Cheaper/easier to mass produce?
Guns were more powerful.

"Hmm, shall I now learn a spell and become powerful enough to earn an easy living as a hunter or bandit killer? Nah, I'll just sit around and keep begging for spare change."
If one is sitting around begging for spare change, one probably does not have enough money to learn a spell.
[/post]

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: February 05, 2011, 01:48:43 pm »

Easier to mass produce mostly for guns.

No one said these people are smart, and if everyone can learn magic, which is heavily implied if not outright said if I remember correctly, then bandits and such would also have magic in that situation. That and what AntiAntiMatter.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: February 05, 2011, 01:50:31 pm »

The thing is, both of those are direct upgrades, or smaller versions of direct upgrades to siege weapons, and the people who were in a position to invent them couldn't do better just by glaring at whatever they wanted destroyed. Any possible precursors to useful technology would be grossly inefficient and impractical compared to the magical alternative.

Steps to make yourself look completely unsympathetic, Pseudonymous-style:
  • Relate fantasy race to the modern subculture of your choice.
  • Say you wish you could exterminate them. Bonus points for using words such as "filthy" and "purge".
You really don't get any rhetorical techniques other than "literal truth," do you? That is quite blatantly facetious. How can you take something that ends in ">:D" any other way?

Presumably they were an offshoot of improvements to cannons. Primitive guns were worse than crossbows, but cannons were far and above superior to ballistae and catapults. Eventually, you got advances that made guns the better choice, though I'm unsure of the specifics.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: February 05, 2011, 01:55:22 pm »

Neiher could early guns. There was in fact an arms race between guns and armor that took a bunch of centuries to resolve, during which guns kept getting more powerful and armor responded by becoming thicker. Guns won when armor became too heavy to be worn.

Definitely not cheaper, gunpowder was hideously expensive and strictly controlled, to the point where the state would confiscate horse manure from people to be used in its production. Shock value was a huge factor, and they were a lot more powerful. You still need to use your muscles a lot with a crossbow, even when it's an arbalest (= has a winch). With a gun, you don't.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: February 05, 2011, 01:57:30 pm »

I'm pretty sure it was confirmed that there are 10 races in the game. 10 races are presumably all the tamrielic races we know and love.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: February 05, 2011, 02:02:17 pm »

I'm pretty sure it was confirmed that there are 10 races in the game. 10 races are presumably all the tamrielic races we know and love.
Nope, they are going to replace Orcs with the much more family friendly, and less horrifying to look at since we don't want to scare the little old ladies we want playing this game, with care bears.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: February 05, 2011, 02:06:28 pm »

They are going to replace Orcs with care bears.

YES!  :D
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 201