Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 266030 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1230 on: February 04, 2011, 09:16:33 am »

What reasons were those?

Laziness.

200 years in the future and more primitive! Reminds me of FO3 (where it made no sense).

That's coz the Nords are basically like Vikings, and the stereotypical view is that Vikings were barbarians, see? So while the rest of Tamriel is stuck in a medieval stasis for thousands of years, Skyrim is stuck in a period a few centuries earlier. I guess that means no gunpowder weaponry or any other innovation. No, can't have that, too risky. Let's just keep it strictly formula. Boo.

-Horses/mounts should differ from Oblivion in how they feel to be controlled - less like tanks, apparently. Dragons will not be mounts.

Just lift the system from Mount and Blade, tbh.

Ehh, if you have to lift it from somewhere, I'd personally advocate Shadow of the Colossus.

I was kind of hoping this game's plot would involve any kind of predestination - no ancient prophecies or people marked at birth to fulfill some role. I mean, when I heard about "this one guy who fights dragons" I figured it would be cool if he was just that, not some reincarnated hero, but just a badass dude, and the main quest involved not your character fulfilling a prophecy, but just deciding you want to be badass too and going to learn from him or something.

That was the case in Oblivion and it was crap. Personally I liked the way Morrowind handled it. There's a prophecy, but you're really a pawn of the Emperor sent to fulfill it and establish yourself as a powerful political figure in the region, thus giving the Emperor more leverage. I really hope there's some twist to it. Being the Chosen One for the hundredth time would be a huge yaaaaawn.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:20:55 am by Sordid »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: February 04, 2011, 09:22:44 am »

you're really a pawn of the Emperor sent to fulfill it and establish yourself as a powerful political figure in the region, thus giving the Emperor more leverage.

and then I spent a week in the first city swimming against a wall and another one jumping under the market stairs. pah! if only the emperor knew what a jerk I am.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1232 on: February 04, 2011, 11:14:24 am »

I've always kinda hoped Bethesda would start out with you in a prison, because you are a guard. So rather than break out, you could be sent on a mission.

Actually, any sort of game where you play a guard in a fantasy setting, complete with chasing after various charlatins claiming to be the true heir to something or other, or nearly getting beheaded trying to calm a tavern brawl, or just hearing the cry of "Guards, Guards!" in the distance.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: February 04, 2011, 11:35:17 am »

I was kind of hoping this game's plot would involve any kind of predestination - no ancient prophecies or people marked at birth to fulfill some role. I mean, when I heard about "this one guy who fights dragons" I figured it would be cool if he was just that, not some reincarnated hero, but just a badass dude, and the main quest involved not your character fulfilling a prophecy, but just deciding you want to be badass too and going to learn from him or something.

That was the case in Oblivion and it was crap. Personally I liked the way Morrowind handled it. There's a prophecy, but you're really a pawn of the Emperor sent to fulfill it and establish yourself as a powerful political figure in the region, thus giving the Emperor more leverage. I really hope there's some twist to it. Being the Chosen One for the hundredth time would be a huge yaaaaawn.
I agree. Also, the whole idea of the elder scrolls is that you are the prophesied hero (prophesied in the Elder Scrolls) that will fulfill a prophesy, "Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event." Would be nice if there was the ability to 'disobey' the prophesy and shock everybody or if the prophesy had some form of inaccuracy that allowed some freedom in outcome.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: February 04, 2011, 11:47:44 am »

Pretty sure that Daggerfall had about a zillion endings.

Actually, the fun thing about prophesii is that they can be made to fit any event. It might be fun to have a paragraph of prophecy at the beginning, and then have the game connect the results of your playthrough to the prophecy at the end.

In one game, the phrase "A westerly wandering hero will arive at the king's end..." will mean that the PC is a hero from the west end of the map who will show up just after the assassination. In a different playthtough, it means that the PC came from the eastern coast (he wandered westward) and will show up on a boat docked at a pier at the end of King's road.

Ye olde englishe is good for prophesy because of the extremely casual punctuation rules.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: February 04, 2011, 11:53:20 am »

That was the case in Oblivion and it was crap.

You forget that Captain Picard recognized you as The One from his dreams and prattled on about stars and fate.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: February 04, 2011, 12:01:14 pm »

Speaking of chosen ones with a twist, anyone play Bard's Tale? The new one, I mean. Thinking about that kinda makes me wish TES games would stop taking themselves so damn seriously.

That was the case in Oblivion and it was crap.

You forget that Captain Picard recognized you as The One from his dreams and prattled on about stars and fate.

Shit, you're right, I did forget about that. But that was just about the only time the subject came up, and the dude's not exactly mentally stable. It was a way more prominent plot element in Morrowind.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 12:18:58 pm by Sordid »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: February 04, 2011, 01:27:52 pm »

Now I want to save Tamriel from the Borg. With Wolverine as a companion.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: February 04, 2011, 01:39:07 pm »

And Akatosh in a phallic space ship.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: February 04, 2011, 03:05:51 pm »

I agree. Also, the whole idea of the elder scrolls is that you are the prophesied hero (prophesied in the Elder Scrolls) that will fulfill a prophesy, "Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event." Would be nice if there was the ability to 'disobey' the prophesy and shock everybody or if the prophesy had some form of inaccuracy that allowed some freedom in outcome.

the scrolls are a bit like nostradamus text, you can twist them enough to say 'look, it was all in the scroll since the beginning' after pretty much any event.

Elu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: February 04, 2011, 03:31:30 pm »

well in Morrowind there was that possibility, at least in some ways, you can just kill the good guys, cosades or even vivec, and go on, sure, the game then warn you that the main plot is broken and you can't advance the main quest but you're free... or you can just go around killing cliff racers without giving a cookie about the prophecies...
Dwarf Fortress, a game which learning curve is a Himalayan trail covered in blood. and alcohol. on fire.

English is not my mother tongue, please point out my mistakes and help me improve it : )

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: February 04, 2011, 03:48:18 pm »

And even then, you can fulfil it by just being fantastically powerful, jury-rigging the wraithguard and nearly killing yourself with it, and then talking to the right guys.

Now that I liked. I don't think I ever got around to it, but I liked that you could do it.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: February 04, 2011, 04:11:49 pm »

Does anyone else actually read the TES lore? The Elder Scrolls change and a different wording is seen by all, until the event occurs, and that version of history is written down on the Elder Scroll forever. I liked it, it gave a sort of feeling that you were entitled to go off and kill hundreds of innocent NPCs because it had been ordained on the Elder Scroll. Whatever the hell you did was ordained on the Elder Scroll. Such as the fact that you jump everywhere.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: February 04, 2011, 04:28:34 pm »

i try reading the books on the side.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: February 04, 2011, 04:35:55 pm »

Hmm. The Borg. That would be amazingly easy to incorporate into tES timeline, with Jyggalag and any number of "imaginative corruption" sources, although equally hard for modders to incorporate into a tES game...

A single Knight of Order, or perhaps something even lower in the hierarchy, is summoned to the mortal plane during, or in preparation for, the war Jyggalag will inevitably launch upon the other Deadric princes. During the task, it is intercepted by a mortal servant of another Deadric lord; one prepared for specifically for such encounters. Wielding an augmented version of Wabbajack, taken from the Mad Mortal Prince who thought not to recall it or even look upon its whereabouts, the mortal servant shatters the ordered servant, but like its ordered lord (who discarded it to Mundus like a broken blade), fails to look closely among the remains.
 There lies a glimmering gem of more points than facets▬ a barbed seed if you will▬, one soon found by another mortal of sharper eye and clinging fingers (what percent of players these days do you guess think about "free loot" before they pick it up?). From a pricked finger 'e catches the strangest sickness; one of metal, one of angles, one of circles, and of shapes within shapes. It makes a monster of the most arcane appearance; superficially chaotic, but ever more exacting, and always in step with some unheard rhythm. This monster awakes among some who concerned themselves with its well-being, unknowing of its ailm▬ advancement, and proceeds to help them be advanced themselves, using the "seed" now fused to its ~hand.
 Now, seven hours after finding the shattered servants corpse, the Primary Advancer has four others to match step with, and they do so at Engoaled Speed to the nearest know habitation of complexity level-3 or higher beings (in this case, a roadside inn).

It's a stilted start to the story, of course, but that tends to happen when one is so closely copying someone else's ideas. The player could take the place of the mortal with Wabbajack, the one that finds a destroyed Knight of Order (or something) and grabs the gem, the one that does both, or even the one that has the foresight to use metalsmith's tongs or something...then proceeds to drop the gem in a capital city bar and watch the excitement from the rooftops (and of course one of the ones that discover advancement a bit late and oppose it). Becoming advanced may or may not mean a nonstandard game over ("if you percieve choices that means your decision calculation abilities are flawed; hold still" or "conclusive analysis on 'free will' pending; incomplete analysis dictates; use as last resort"), mostly because those "advanced" are not necessarily "perfected", it being in its infantile development stages and all that.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 201