Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265950 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1200 on: February 03, 2011, 04:49:54 pm »

The SNES Final Fantasy games had more real content than Fallout/Oblivion. By Real Content, I mean things that aren't just there for the sake of graphics.

[citation needed]

seriously, if you call content the same sprites over and over again in different colors then each smuggler differently armed via the random levelled item list should count as a different creature and tracked separately as 'content'

You realize he was referring to content except that which is graphical, right? It hardly matters that they use the same sprite if they're in different locations with different dialogue and that sort of thing. The sprite is pretty incidental.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: February 03, 2011, 07:12:17 pm »

Total amount of content also has exactly jack shit to do with processing power.

While that is true, I fail to see why you point it out. Nobody said that it did.
You opposed the premise that it didn't.
Eh, amount of content doesn't have much to do with processing power. It does, however, have everything to do with budget and a little bit to do with user accessibility.

I beg to differ. More polygons and higher res textures = more processing power needed. That's kinda why newer games made for newer computers generally look better than older games made for older computers.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: February 03, 2011, 07:36:27 pm »

Total amount of content does not necessarily impact processing demands, but the amount of content that must be loaded at once and updated certainly does add more work. There is also content that must constantly be taken care of, such as AI packages or background scripts.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: February 03, 2011, 07:43:33 pm »

But on a lighter note, you know those scroll that let you jump really high? First time I used one I launched myself into Red Mountain's lava pool up top. Unbelievably precise.

Haha, yeah... the first time I used one of those, I was way up in the air when it hit me, I didn't have any sort of slowfall spell or anything. I missed some water by like a foot :I

You can just use another one to boost your acrobatics again for the landing. The problem with the scrolls is that the jump takes longer than the spell duration, so you have to use a second one to land safely. But since you only get three, it's a bit of a waste. Then again, it's not like they're terribly useful anyway, so hey, why not. I usually just kept them around as trophies.
Amusingly, the runes on the scroll translate to:

from the earth to the aether
and back

*snicker*
Yeah, actually reading spell scrolls. That's another thing you can't do in Oblivion. >:(

Yeah, I realized that after I died. I spent the majority of the flight/fall panicking instead.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: February 03, 2011, 08:29:00 pm »

Total amount of content also has exactly jack shit to do with processing power.

While that is true, I fail to see why you point it out. Nobody said that it did.
Eh, amount of content doesn't have much to do with processing power. It does, however, have everything to do with budget and a little bit to do with user accessibility.

I beg to differ. More polygons and higher res textures = more processing power needed. That's kinda why newer games made for newer computers generally look better than older games made for older computers.

You know what, I'm not going to defend that, I think it's perfectly clear and self-explanatory. If you really understood that to mean total content, rather than content on-screen at the moment, then you're an idiot and not worth talking to at all. I suspect you understood it just fine, though, and are just picking a fight. Which I have no interest in either. Good day to you.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: February 03, 2011, 09:08:42 pm »

... Okay then. I can really feel the love in this thread!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:10:59 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: February 03, 2011, 09:13:40 pm »

You know what, I'm not going to defend that, I think it's perfectly clear and self-explanatory. If you really understood that to mean total content, rather than content on-screen at the moment, then you're an idiot and not worth talking to at all. I suspect you understood it just fine, though, and are just picking a fight. Which I have no interest in either. Good day to you.
I went back and double checked, and that was indeed ultimately a response to "the cynic in me suspects the level scaling is toned down because there's less variety [== total content] in the game," to which your response amounted to "of course there'll be less variety [== total content], they're improving the graphics, so they need to get more performance somewhere if it'll run on outdated GPUs!" Which is both a nonsequitor and demonstrably wrong.

On the other hand, the curmudgeon inside me wouldn't be surprised that the reason they toned down level scaling is because there's less variety in areas (in terms of content or intended to level) to begin with, or some other extenuating circumstance. That's ridiculously speculative and probably wrong, of course.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised either, and I don't think you're wrong. They're promising MOAR of everything, better graphics, more detailed models, higher res textures.... but the thing still has to run on a six years old sucksbox, so they must've cut something to free up the space and processing power for that. A new and more efficient engine would account for some of that improvement, but there's only so much you can do with the same old hardware. Oblivion came out five years ago, that's a huge amount of time in the world of the PC. Back then multi-core processors were new and expensive and Nvidia had just launched their 7 series. In the meantime, four GPU generations have come and gone and the fifth is the latest and greatest thing. We now have computers an order of magnitude more powerful than what we had to run Oblivion (and indeed it was unplayable for me at the time, whereas now it barely registers on my CPU usage-o-meter even with a bunch of graphics-enhancing mods), but Skyrim's going to have to run on the same old hector its daddy was made for. That really, really worries me.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: February 03, 2011, 09:20:35 pm »

The SNES Final Fantasy games had more real content than Fallout/Oblivion. By Real Content, I mean things that aren't just there for the sake of graphics.

[citation needed]

seriously, if you call content the same sprites over and over again in different colors then each smuggler differently armed via the random levelled item list should count as a different creature and tracked separately as 'content'

I'm not convinced about this either. The only Final Fantasy game I ever finished was six, and I remember it mostly as an example of how to wring every last drop of juice from old console hardware. The random encounter enemies had all the characterization of a palette swapped cardboard cutouts, and most NPCs only had one or two lines of dialogue. Sure, there was quite a bit of actual content, but it was spread pretty thinly on the overworld map(s), and padded with pointless monster battles everywhere.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: February 03, 2011, 09:47:43 pm »

I went back and double checked, and that was indeed ultimately a response to "the cynic in me suspects the level scaling is toned down because there's less variety [== total content] in the game," to which your response amounted to "of course there'll be less variety [== total content], they're improving the graphics, so they need to get more performance somewhere if it'll run on outdated GPUs!" Which is both a nonsequitor and demonstrably wrong.

On the other hand, the curmudgeon inside me wouldn't be surprised that the reason they toned down level scaling is because there's less variety in areas (in terms of content or intended to level) to begin with, or some other extenuating circumstance. That's ridiculously speculative and probably wrong, of course.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised either, and I don't think you're wrong. They're promising MOAR of everything, better graphics, more detailed models, higher res textures.... but the thing still has to run on a six years old sucksbox, so they must've cut something to free up the space and processing power for that. A new and more efficient engine would account for some of that improvement, but there's only so much you can do with the same old hardware. Oblivion came out five years ago, that's a huge amount of time in the world of the PC. Back then multi-core processors were new and expensive and Nvidia had just launched their 7 series. In the meantime, four GPU generations have come and gone and the fifth is the latest and greatest thing. We now have computers an order of magnitude more powerful than what we had to run Oblivion (and indeed it was unplayable for me at the time, whereas now it barely registers on my CPU usage-o-meter even with a bunch of graphics-enhancing mods), but Skyrim's going to have to run on the same old hector its daddy was made for. That really, really worries me.

You fail at reading. Now go away.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: February 03, 2011, 10:01:24 pm »

Now, the thing is, if that was left on its own, it could be interpreted as a case of misleading formatting. But when, in response to that, G-Flex said "Eh, amount of content doesn't have much to do with processing power," and you disagreed, again going back to the unrelated matter of graphics, it becomes obvious either you're dedicated to persisting a complete nonsequitor (and flaming anyone who calls you out on it), or you realized your mistake and tried to insist that you were just saying something completely unrelated to what you professed to be responding to (and throwing up flames as a smokescreen). Either that or you're just trolling, take your pick.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: February 03, 2011, 10:03:31 pm »

You fail at reading. Now go away.

Thats rather rude, Hes entitled to hang out here and make mistakes as we all do...

Alright then... Regarding the topic at hand...

Actually I think all that needs to be said has been said :P
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

poca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: February 03, 2011, 11:36:30 pm »

My biggest problem with the lack of contrast is the fact that my enemies will never flee in terror from me.   :P

That would definitely be cool. In a lot of games, the protagonist ends up being universally hailed as the knight protector of humanity by his allies, while his enemies still treat him like dirt. I don't mean that they should like him, but being taken seriously would be a plus. "Hello. I am the Nerevarine, the Hortator, the Master of the Fighters guild, the Arch-Mage of the Mages Guild, and the Archmagister of the most noble house Telvanni. This is my sword, enchanted with the soul of Almalexia of the Tribunal." "Oh yeah? Well, I'm a smuggler! Prepare to die!" I guess that's pretty hard to do properly, though. You're probably expecting to kill enemies in the game, and that gets kind of awkward if they're trying to run away instead of fighting back.

After the long Adventure mode thread here, I kind of suspected seeing your enemies flee in terror from you aspect would find a sympathetic audience.  :P

I also had the same reservation you mentioned and should probably have come clean about it earlier. I know that Bethesda games haven't required an actual kill for XP so the only time you would need to chase down lesser enemies is probably only for two reasons: you want something they drop (e.g. arrows or reagents) or just because you want to kill them. In either case, the chase shouldn't last long if they are fleeing but I will agree that if it isn't done right it could get old fast; this is Bethesda we're talking about so it probably won't be done right  ::)

Bas1lyk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: February 04, 2011, 12:04:58 am »

In other news, there's a Skyrim podcast over on Gameinformer.

If you don't have time to listen to it or can't be bothered or whatever, I've tried to list some of the things Todd Howard said off the top of my head:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: February 04, 2011, 12:12:38 am »

So... Does the clear up the no one wants spears question?
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: February 04, 2011, 12:21:21 am »

I want lances. And halberds. And a trained squad of pikemen would be nice, too.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 201