Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265746 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1080 on: February 01, 2011, 10:31:03 am »

Starting attributes are just that, starting. They're pretty much irrelevant, since even the 'high' attributes are so low that you can train the really low ones to their level in no time. That is how it's been since Morrowind. Not so much in Daggerfall...
The only lasting effect that you mention is the birthsign, but then you immediately correct yourself by pointing out that it is not a feature of class at all.

Birthsign might as well be a feature of class anyway, since what skills you pick, attributes you pick, race you pick, and birthsign you pick are all totally arbitrary and unrestricted. Some happen to fall under the "class" templates and some don't, but this has absolutely no practical bearing on your character.

I agree that favored attributes didn't really do much, and I think they should have done more (perhaps by messing with the multipliers or something). However, they could certainly be consequential (especially with Luck, since you can never get multipliers on that), and you can start with some stats pretty high if you pick a strong race/attribute combination.

And you know that based on what? AFAIK no details of the character creation process have been revealed yet, so you're just jumping to conclusions like Amp did. All we know so far is that you don't select favored skills.

We know that you can't select favored skills and that you can't select a birthsign. What else is there? Obviously you'll be able to choose race, although it's not clear what effect that will have, and I doubt they'd leave in favored attributes but not skills.

People know that "class" was never really a part of TES in more than name, right? The "classes" you can select are just skill templates. Your character has always been created by selecting which skills you want to use as primary, meaning you start with them being higher than others, and you level up (i.e. increase attributes and gain health and mana points) when enough of those skills are raised.

Exactly. Well, it's also favored attributes, but your point is correct. "Classes" have just been prebuilt templates. In effect, the classes themselves were meaningless except in an in-universe "professional" sense, because you could alter any of them to your liking however you wanted.

It's possible, though, that what with the number of skills going down from whatever it was in Daggerfall, to 27 in Morrowind, to now 18, that it is becoming more and more difficult for characters to differentiate from each other.

Especially since characters aren't actually inherently better at any of them; they all have the exact same potential and raise skills to the exact same degree. Every Redguard is born the same, etc.

Now we've got 18 skills and I'm not sure how many you pick.

They mentioned that the class system is gone and put emphasis on "you are what you play". Judging by this, the goal is that you don't pick starting favored skills at all (aside from whatever effect your race has), with what your character is "good at" being determined solely through play.

Anyway, what was cool about Daggerfall is it allowed characters to be way more differentiated and specialized. Sure, not every skill was good enough that you'd want to use it as a major skill, but who cares? Nobody is going to role-play an Olympic swimmer, but it's cool that you can have your character be above average in swimming. Or climbing or whatever.

Daggerfall's "perk" system was also cooler, I think. In Morrowind and Oblivion you got to pick a birthsign that gave you certain advantages (and sometimes disadvantages) and/or activated abilities. They were pretty unbalanced in Morrowind, but less so in Oblivion. But in Daggerfall you could pick from a long list of handicaps and bonuses, each worth a certain value, and if that value was around zero, the speed at which you levelled up was normal, but if it was higher or lower, you'd level up faster or slower than average. You could pick all kinds of different stuff, like only being able to use magic in daylight or at night, or regaining health when submersed in water, or I can't even remember what else. Once again, a lot of them were broken (99% of fights that mattered happened in dungeons, so being unable to use magic in daylight was almost a free way to be able to afford other bonuses), but the point was there was a ton of customization available. That gets lost the more you "streamline."

I haven't played Daggerfall, but I'd love to see a system like that that did itself justice. Unfortunately, I don't know how feasible that is. Especially these days, content is streamlined and trimmed down like crazy in games because they just wouldn't be able to build up enough content and develop for long enough to justify all of that. Modern AAA game development is very much about catering to what people immediately see without having to think very much about it. The goal is to be accessible because they need to sell a gazillion units to make bank. Even if that weren't the case, implementing things like climbing and swimming properly would be difficult, because the more "real-world" you flavor your skills, the more "real" your world needs to feel. And that's always been hard.

I've always despised the completely artificial and arbitrary concept of 'class' in rpgs, and I'm glad a developer finally has enough balls to get rid of it. Maybe it won't work in the end, but I think it is worthwhile as an experiment if nothing else.

Are you kidding me? How is Morrowind-style "class" at all "artificial"? Literally the only thing Morrowind's "class" says about your character is that you naturally focus (and have natural aptitude for) certain skills and abilities over others, as well as a minor tweak to your attributes. I fail to see how this is at all unrealistic, all things considered.

Again, I don't think that's necessarily the case. With a perk system, it would be very easy to put in some of these options in the form of perks that you can select only during character creation (much like Neverwinter Nights and its Feats). We'll have to wait and see.

I think D&D-style feats are a very bad idea for TES. They're way too, I don't know, gamey. I like TES to feel like an organic, immersive RPG, not a hack-and-slash.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:33:57 am by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: February 01, 2011, 10:54:29 am »

It sounds like that's more or less where they're going, with perks.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: February 01, 2011, 11:21:02 am »

Moving on, as for the debate about whether or not Nirn is a Daedric realm. Sure, why not? There is no implied real difference between Daedra and Aedra. After all, Aedra is simply the elvish word for Ancestor, and Daedra simply means, Not Ancestor. Of course Nirn may have been created by the Aedra, but that doesn't mean that Daedra and Aedra themselves aren't more or less the same.

Of course, this means Daedric realm is a poor choice of word. A better way to put it would be, functionally the same as a Daedric Realm.

After all, you do visit the Realm of Sheogorath, and you do find that the only real difference between it and Nirn is that you're the only sane person inside it. Except for Sheogorath's butler.

There are some differences. Each Daedric realm has a single Prince governing it, yet Nirn has Nine Divines. The Daedric Princes are very much an active, even physical presence in their realms, the Nine Divines don't really seem to do much of anything. And then there's the fact that the inhabitants of Daedric Realms are immortal, whereas the inhabitants of Nirn are not.
It just occurred to me, could it be that the Nine are really evil? Like, morals are really suppsoed to be Daedra but the Nine conspire against them to rob them of their immortality? Maybe the Dwemer were on to something.

Don't Daedra come from Padomay, while Aedra come from Anu?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: February 01, 2011, 11:43:15 am »

Anu and Padomay (representing stasis and change respectively) are present as basic primeval forces in Tamrielic religion, yeah, with aedra being associated with the former and aedra with the latter.

I don't really get "morals are supposed to be Daedra"; the Daedra seem completely amoral and inhuman to me; they represent forces of change and that sort of thing, even if some are more personal forces (like treason or murder), rather than moral values.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: February 01, 2011, 11:43:58 am »

why are we arguing about stuff bethesda will never but in their games?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: February 01, 2011, 11:44:43 am »

Er, what are you talking about? Daedric princes and religious/mythological/cosmological themes have been in all their games.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: February 01, 2011, 11:49:03 am »

Protip: Neverwinter Nights is just DnD for your computer. You get feats when you level up (every other level, plus bonus feats a lot of classes give you).

My point was that some Feats are selectable only at level 1, which could be used to implement the various dis/advantages that used to be assigned to birthsigns. I'm not sure how faithful the NWN adaptation of the rules is and if pen and paper D&D has these lvl1-only Feats too, so that's why I didn't mention it.

Birthsign might as well be a feature of class anyway, since what skills you pick, attributes you pick, race you pick, and birthsign you pick are all totally arbitrary and unrestricted.

So you're saying that since you can pick any birthsign with any class, they are therefore just like class features. Yeah, that makes sense. /sarcasm

We know that you can't select a birthsign.

Do we know that? I'm not sure about that. I think so far it's just assumed to be the case, but I don't recall anyone actually stating it officially.

What else is there?

I've been trying to give you an idea of what there might be. I'll reiterate: The ability to select attributes and advantages/disadvantages independently, regardless of race (at least some of them, obviously specific ratial traits like the Argonians' water breathing or khajiits' night eye would be fixed). Not sure if it's going to be that way, but it might be and it would be cool, IMO.

I haven't played Daggerfall, but I'd love to see a system like that that did itself justice.

That wasn't the case in Daggerfall at all. I really hope Bethsoft are giving it another shot, though.

Are you kidding me? How is Morrowind-style "class" at all "artificial"?

I'm a mage. I cast a bunch of spells that lighten my stuff, making it easier to lug it around. Because I got better at casting these load-lightening spells, I become tougher and more hardy (ie. gain a level and increase HP).
How is it artificial, you ask? How isn't it? Gaining HP because you become better at magic that allows you to use your muscles less, or picking locks, or talking to people? How does that make any sense at all?
I'll tell you how I'd like Skyrim to work. See, I use a retroactive stats mod in Oblivion, so that I don't have to pump points into endurance early on for maximum HP gains. I'd like to see that same principle to hold in Skyrim, with HP, MP, and Stamina (use a sodding dictionary, Bethsoft) being based directly on your attributes. And since each skill has a governing attribute, using that skill and getting better at it should also raise the corresponding attribute, translating into HP, MP, or Stamina gain. You wouldn't get to distribute any points, there would be no level up screen, in fact there wouldn't need to be levels at all. It could be completely seamless, which I think would be fantastic.

I think D&D-style feats are a very bad idea for TES. They're way too, I don't know, gamey. I like TES to feel like an organic, immersive RPG, not a hack-and-slash.

The perk system is a confirmed feature, so I'm afraid you're just going to have to deal with it. See above for my idea of an organic and immersive RPG system.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: February 01, 2011, 12:02:06 pm »

So you're saying that since you can pick any birthsign with any class, they are therefore just like class features. Yeah, that makes sense. /sarcasm

They are just like class features in the sense that you can pick one arbitrarily. There's no real meaning to the word "class" in Morrowind. All it is is a template of stuff you can choose individually. Birthsign is separate from this system for reasons of game flavor, but literally nothing would change mechanically if you made them a part of the classes.

Do we know that? I'm not sure about that. I think so far it's just assumed to be the case, but I don't recall anyone actually stating it officially.

I know there's no official statement about that, but the statements I quoted are pretty clear about how astrology plays a much different role in this game. I'd be willing to bet money on it.

What else is there?I've been trying to give you an idea of what there might be. I'll reiterate: The ability to select attributes and advantages/disadvantages independently, regardless of race (at least some of them, obviously specific ratial traits like the Argonians' water breathing or khajiits' night eye would be fixed). Not sure if it's going to be that way, but it might be and it would be cool, IMO.

Why should all the races be equivalent except for special powers? What sense does that make? I like the way it was done in Morrowind, at least in concept if not in execution; different races have different average statistics, and you can fudge certain ones up by favoring them.

I'm a mage. I cast a bunch of spells that lighten my stuff, making it easier to lug it around. Because I got better at casting these load-lightening spells, I become tougher and more hardy (ie. gain a level and increase HP).
How is it artificial, you ask? How isn't it? Gaining HP because you become better at magic that allows you to use your muscles less, or picking locks, or talking to people? How does that make any sense at all?

We're talking about different things here. For what it's worth, you actually gain more HP if you specifically engage in activity that should improve your Endurance (higher multipliers to Endurance). Also, the level system is obviously going to be abstract, and meant to represent a general sense of personal advancement, improvement, and accomplishment outside of the direct fact that you improved skills X, Y, and Z. Yes, this sort of abstraction leads to potential abuse and unrealistic scenarios, but that's pretty much always going to be the case.

I'll tell you how I'd like Skyrim to work. See, I use a retroactive stats mod in Oblivion, so that I don't have to pump points into endurance early on for maximum HP gains. I'd like to see that same principle to hold in Skyrim, with HP, MP, and Stamina (use a sodding dictionary, Bethsoft) being based directly on your attributes.

Yes. I couldn't believe that HP gain wasn't retroactive in Morrowind. I swear, between that and spellcasting/alchemy, and some other things, that they didn't have a single person there who knew how to do algorithms or math.

And since each skill has a governing attribute, using that skill and getting better at it should also raise the corresponding attribute, translating into HP, MP, or Stamina gain. You wouldn't get to distribute any points, there would be no level up screen, in fact there wouldn't need to be levels at all. It could be completely seamless, which I think would be fantastic.

On one hand, this sounds good. On the other hand, the system is abstract for a reason. For instance, if I just use swords (strength) and light armour (speed), does that mean my Endurance should literally never be able to go up? That would be a tad silly, right? The governing attributes, in my opinion, can only really weight attribute gains in certain directions, but aren't able to accomplish the task of determining them entirely. Otherwise, you get weird scenarios like the one I just mentioned, largely because each skill only has a single related attribute. Then, of course, you have something like Luck, which nothing is explicitly based on and is enough of an abstract roleplaying character thing that I can't even see a way to represent gain through usage.

The perk system is a confirmed feature, so I'm afraid you're just going to have to deal with it. See above for my idea of an organic and immersive RPG system.

Huh? I know I have to "deal with it". I'm not sure what point you're making by saying that. I'm just saying that I don't necessarily agree with the design decision.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: February 01, 2011, 12:06:16 pm »

Whoa, I didn't realize they weren't even letting you pick skills at the beginning. I'm not sure how that's going to work out...in the other games, if you didn't have bonuses to a skill (i.e., your race gave you a bonus or you picked that skill) it was basically useless. It had to be at least at 25 or so to be any good at all IIRC. So what do all skills start at now? 5 where you suck at everything? 25 where you're decent at everything? I guess you could start out sucking at everything and all the enemies are really weak for a while.

If well implemented this could be really interesting, as detailed in Sordid' post above. If badly implemented it could be a horrific disaster which modders would have huge headaches trying to fix in a balanced way.

Also, any details on how the level scaling or lack thereof is supposed to work? I'm sure it won't be like Oblivion, given how well that was received. I liked Morrowind's system honestly and I don't know why it needed to change. Certain areas are safe, certain areas are more dangerous, other areas are certain death if you're too weak. Nothing wrong with that. There was some scaling in that more powerful monsters would only begin appearing randomly when you were high enough level, but generally it made the game open up more gradually: you didn't want to go into the Ashlands as a low level character, you didn't want to go into Daedric shrines or Red Mountain until you were quite badass, and you couldn't even step foot on Solstheim without getting your ass ripped apart until you were tough enough to laugh off 9 out of 10 enemies from the original game.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: February 01, 2011, 12:07:52 pm »

Er, what are you talking about? Daedric princes and religious/mythological/cosmological themes have been in all their games.
its not like we will get to walk Anu or Padomay.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: February 01, 2011, 12:13:29 pm »

Whoa, I didn't realize they weren't even letting you pick skills at the beginning. I'm not sure how that's going to work out...in the other games, if you didn't have bonuses to a skill (i.e., your race gave you a bonus or you picked that skill) it was basically useless. It had to be at least at 25 or so to be any good at all IIRC. So what do all skills start at now? 5 where you suck at everything? 25 where you're decent at everything? I guess you could start out sucking at everything and all the enemies are really weak for a while.

Judging by the way these games (and games in general) have been going, you'll probably be able to successfully use skills even at rather low levels. I've heard that's more or less how it was for the Oblivion lockpicking minigame. Basically, things swing towards player skill and away from character skill, to the point where character skill can be effectively overridden (at least to some degree) even where character skill should be the limiting factor.

As far as leveled monsters/items are concerned, I don't think any of that should be necessary, even by Morrowind standards. In my opinion, having to scale things to the character's level means that you've failed to provide an interesting world with varied and workable challenges in it. Granted, in Morrowind it was fairly unobtrusive, but you still had things like leveled loot, which I hate; if I have a character who (for an example) specializes in taking high risks at low levels and using illusions, cunning, and sneaky skills in order to infiltrate difficult areas, why shouldn't he be rewarded with amazing stuff instead of punished for it with lousier stuff than he'd get when that area is a cakewalk? The answer, of course, is that game design is haaaaaaard and that would require areas that aren't easy to get into and loot even at low level due to balance and AI issues.

its not like we will get to walk Anu or Padomay.

I don't see your point. That stuff is an important aspect of the backstory and cosmology of the game. One of the most interesting things, to me and many others, about Morrowind is that you get to explore such a rich universe, learn about it from their perspective, and apply that understanding (and your own resulting perspective) to your interactions with the things and characters in that world. Hell, in Morrowind the power players you deal with are mostly self-made gods and unknowable beings from the void.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: February 01, 2011, 12:20:36 pm »

I've always despised the completely artificial and arbitrary concept of 'class' in rpgs, and I'm glad a developer finally has enough balls to get rid of it. Maybe it won't work in the end, but I think it is worthwhile as an experiment if nothing else.

Are you kidding me? How is Morrowind-style "class" at all "artificial"? Literally the only thing Morrowind's "class" says about your character is that you naturally focus (and have natural aptitude for) certain skills and abilities over others, as well as a minor tweak to your attributes. I fail to see how this is at all unrealistic, all things considered.

I agree.  In my opinion Morrowind and Daggerfall had, hands down, the best natural stat progression of any game I've played.  These games allowed you to enhance any skill you wanted, but still gave just enough restriction that you actually felt like you were not a jack of all trades.  And just because there were preset "classes" in Morrowind didn't really mean that you couldn't make up whatever you wanted.

Everyone who played Oblivion eventually turned into a Spell Sword - a guy who wielded a sword, threw fireballs, and backstabbed people.  Sometimes too much freedom in a game is a bad thing because everyone starts to lose that special quality about their character that makes the game re-playable.  It gets harder and harder to want to go back to play Oblivion again because you already played EVERY class the first time.

Dungeon Siege fell into the same trap.  I remember that game was difficult to replay because you ended up playing as a Warrior/Mage/Archer by the end of the game because there was no focus at all.

D&D (and classic JRPGs) sit on the opposite extreme - these games pigeonhole you too much into a single class.  The game becomes boring quickly because there is no freedom to dabble in weird, but cool, class combinations.

I really hope I'm wrong, but from what I've seen so far, Skyrim is following the Oblivion model, but even to the more extreme.  This is very bad.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: February 01, 2011, 12:21:23 pm »

On one hand, this sounds good. On the other hand, the system is abstract for a reason. For instance, if I just use swords (strength) and light armour (speed), does that mean my Endurance should literally never be able to go up? That would be a tad silly, right? The governing attributes, in my opinion, can only really weight attribute gains in certain directions, but aren't able to accomplish the task of determining them entirely. Otherwise, you get weird scenarios like the one I just mentioned, largely because each skill only has a single related attribute. Then, of course, you have something like Luck, which nothing is explicitly based on and is enough of an abstract roleplaying character thing that I can't even see a way to represent gain through usage.

Right now I'm using the nGCD mod which does something like Sordid is proposing. It doesn't tie Attributes to a single skill however, and instead each skill contributes a certain amount towards several attributes. Leveling is done automatically and avoids the gamey vanilla leveling system so that it's easier to remain immersed in the game experience.

EDIT: nGCD's skill influence chart
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 01:21:46 pm by Glowcat »
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: February 01, 2011, 12:24:25 pm »

People know that "class" was never really a part of TES in more than name, right?

Arena had pre-defined classes with no custom option and a classic XP-based level progression, but that's ancient history.
It also limited the type of equipment you could use. A Mage-class was pretty much screwed when it came to getting armor, and a Warrior couldn't use magic(which screws you towards the end). And Spellswords were overpowered.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: February 01, 2011, 12:32:43 pm »

Don't Daedra come from Padomay, while Aedra come from Anu?
They're described as being "aligned" to either Anu or Padomay. There are seemingly exceptions as well, Jyggalag for example is a Daedric Prince that definitely appears to be favouring Anu, "stasis".
To answer your question, though: Nobody stems from just either of Anu or Padomay, but from the interplay between them. At the time of their "birth", they were not Aedra or Daedra yet, but "et'Ada", i. e. "original spirits". The schism that separated them into Aedra and Daedra came later, at the creation of Mundus/Nirn. Those of the et'Ada that participated in the creation became the Aedra. Those who did not, but chose to remain in Oblivion, became Daedra. Those who escaped Lorkhan's "trap" and fled back to Aetherius (Magnus, for example), remained et'Ada. This is what separates Aedra and Daedra from each other, except for one or two of the Daedra who were cast down slightly later, and are called Daedra for other reasons.

I don't really get "morals are supposed to be Daedra"; the Daedra seem completely amoral and inhuman to me; they represent forces of change and that sort of thing, even if some are more personal forces (like treason or murder), rather than moral values.
That seems like an oversimplification. I, at least, haven't thought in that term since before I started getting to know the lore. I would rather agree with you, generally speaking, only adding that they are what they are (obviously). Some of them aren't even that applicable in a "moral" way or on a "moral spectrum". Without stretching and over analysing their spheres to fit, at least.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 201