Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265624 times)

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #990 on: January 29, 2011, 12:36:08 pm »

@Sordid Do you realise that you have hardly done anything other than hate on Oblivion in this thread? :P

Anyways, on the topic of spears: I think they would be pretty cool, but all in all they are rather useless. Really, if you have a spear and a guy gets within five feet of you then there's nothing you can do about it other than drop the spear and punch him.

Also, the havok engine was pretty cool. It was entirely pointless, but cool nonetheless.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: January 29, 2011, 12:44:20 pm »

i think the reason they used the Havok engine was for the projectile shit, it was kinda dumb where i can jump on a table and the kick the shit outta everyone's food, surprisingly no one was pissed.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: January 29, 2011, 12:45:35 pm »

@Sordid Do you realise that you have hardly done anything other than hate on Oblivion in this thread? :P

Anyways, on the topic of spears: I think they would be pretty cool, but all in all they are rather useless. Really, if you have a spear and a guy gets within five feet of you then there's nothing you can do about it other than drop the spear and punch him.

Also, the havok engine was pretty cool. It was entirely pointless, but cool nonetheless.
All he's done is hate Bethesda. He seems particularly fond of taking the important bits out of what they say and criticizing it. I do agree with some of his distrust in Bethesda, though.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: January 29, 2011, 12:48:37 pm »

there is barely any company out there to trust anymore, Gearbox is good because Duke Nukem was always a shitty game :P but it kicked ass

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: January 29, 2011, 12:49:53 pm »

All he's done is hate Bethesda. He seems particularly fond of taking the important bits out of what they say and criticizing it. I do agree with some of his distrust in Bethesda, though.

I know what you mean, I have a general distrust of all major companies.
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: January 29, 2011, 12:51:27 pm »

I know what you mean, I have a general distrust of all major companies.
As do I.
[/post]

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: January 29, 2011, 01:09:47 pm »

Oops, I meant to say: I have a general distrust of all companies, but assuming that everything they say is a lie is going a bit far.
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: January 29, 2011, 01:24:17 pm »

well, bethesda does have a track record of great concepts with mediocre implementations. not as bad as lionhead studios, but neither good.

note: this doesn't mean that they do bad games. they do great games. only that what they say in the press releases and what you find in the game is quite... afar.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: January 29, 2011, 01:26:31 pm »

Yes. I just can't help it. On the one hand it's a fantastic game, vast world, hundreds of places to explore, quests to do, etc., but on the other it's dragged down by just a few incredibly stupid decisions made by the developers. It's a love-hate relationship.
Apparently it also doesn't like Windows 7.

i think the reason they used the Havok engine was for the projectile shit, it was kinda dumb where i can jump on a table and the kick the shit outta everyone's food, surprisingly no one was pissed.

Nah, you don't need Havok for that. Look at Mount&Blade, that has a fantastic archery gameplay without a stupid physics engine. As far as I can tell, the only thing that actually uses Havok to influence the gameplay at all are the traps, like the swinging log, the swinging iron balls, the falling rocks... and that's about it, actually. But really, did they need to implement a physics engine that affects every item in the world just for those three traps? It's ridiculous.

Oops, I meant to say: I have a general distrust of all companies, but assuming that everything they say is a lie is going a bit far.

Oh come on, I never said or even implied that I think that. I think it's important to have a balanced outlook and take things with a grain of salt, that's all. Obviously they're talking about an unfinished product for the purposes of hyping it, so they're going to be exaggerating and not everything will turn out to have been implemented the way they maybe originally wanted. But a lot of what they say sounds really good. We'll see.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 01:30:07 pm by Sordid »

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: January 29, 2011, 01:50:05 pm »

Spears and crossbows are my favourite melee and ranged weapons, respectively. Hahaha, Oblivion!
I'd be ecstatic if they brought them both back, but I'm not holding my breath.

I mean, all arguments and criticisms about their effectiveness aside, they're just way damn cool. I had great fun collecting them in Morrowind.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: January 29, 2011, 01:51:07 pm »

Personally I don't care for spears as long as bethseda does not screw up the duel wielding system they plan to add.

Even though I do want spears...

But yeah I also want crossbows, They would be fun.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 03:41:23 pm by Javarock »
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

King Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: January 29, 2011, 02:58:48 pm »

Personaly it would be very weird not to have spears in a viking inspired game...

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: January 29, 2011, 03:07:53 pm »

It's also very weird not to have crossbows when all the bandits wear heavy armour (which is weird in itself) or to not be able to fight while mounted, but there you go.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: January 29, 2011, 03:25:57 pm »

I think the Havok engine could have been pretty cool but it was under-utilized. There's a lot of cool level design that could have come of it (collapsing buildings, dangling platforms, pyhsics weapons) but mostly all that came of it was traps (ok, but kind of sparse) and losing items in the tall grass (grrr).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: January 29, 2011, 03:52:36 pm »

Eh, I never really had a problem with the grass. All the goodies are in dungeons, what you find outside isn't really worth taking anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 201