Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265503 times)

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #900 on: January 25, 2011, 05:37:06 pm »

Daggers can fit in places where swords can't, and are much less awkward to use in close quarters, not to mention the fact that if you are sneaking about slitting people's throats, a sword is harder to conceal and is heavier.
[/post]

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: January 25, 2011, 05:38:04 pm »

I had a gamebook where the bad guy had some sort of wraith ninja soldiers that he sent to kill you, and they attacked you with their "garrote of weighted silk" that somehow became really hard and deadly in their hands, but little more than a silk handkerchief after you killed them. Might as well have been socks.

Temple of Flame, I think it was.

EDIT: OTOH, garrote kinda implies something to strangle... meh.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: January 25, 2011, 05:43:39 pm »

Yeah... piano wire garrote'll go through th'whole neck without terribly much effort. Deadly stuff. To garrote someone does imply strangulation, though, generally.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: January 25, 2011, 06:02:28 pm »

Flailing people to death with empty socks. This thread has become hilarious.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: January 25, 2011, 06:08:44 pm »

Flailing people to death with empty socks. This thread has become hilarious.

To the point where it deserves quotes:
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.
Thank you, sir!
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: January 25, 2011, 08:56:40 pm »

Daggers can fit in places where swords can't, and are much less awkward to use in close quarters, not to mention the fact that if you are sneaking about slitting people's throats, a sword is harder to conceal and is heavier.

And that hits the dagger vs sword nail on the head, hell of alot easier to slip a dagger between some ribs than a sword. Part of that is the size of the weapon itself vs its surroundings. Partially because whats easier to line up in a close up stab, a short blade or a long blade where you'd probably have to use both hands to properly line it up? From what I see their going a similar way to how dnd does their crits though it makes me wonder if their going to add the bit about certain creatures can't be sneak attacked because they don't have any true vital points.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: January 26, 2011, 02:50:29 am »

The increased animation fidelity and diversity has enabled Bethesda to ditch the awkward dialogue camera perspective that paused the game and presented you with an extreme closeup of the person with whom you were speaking. Now camera stays in the same perspective used during combat and exploration, and players are free to look around while engaging in conversation. Rather than drop their activities to give you their undivided attention, the NPCs continue to go about their business while in discussion. For instance, a barkeep may continue to clean cups while talking, and even move from behind the counter to a seat. A mill worker chopping wood may engage in conversation without turning away from his duties, only occasionally glancing toward you during the exchange.

Oh Hell yes!

Thank you bethesda, thank you so damn much....
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: January 26, 2011, 11:57:16 pm »

The increased animation fidelity and diversity has enabled Bethesda to ditch the awkward dialogue camera perspective that paused the game and presented you with an extreme closeup of the person with whom you were speaking. Now camera stays in the same perspective used during combat and exploration, and players are free to look around while engaging in conversation. Rather than drop their activities to give you their undivided attention, the NPCs continue to go about their business while in discussion. For instance, a barkeep may continue to clean cups while talking, and even move from behind the counter to a seat. A mill worker chopping wood may engage in conversation without turning away from his duties, only occasionally glancing toward you during the exchange.

Oh Hell yes!

Thank you bethesda, thank you so damn much....

It's Bethesda, so I have doubts about the implementation. You will most likely on first release meet an NPC on the countryside. He asks for your help about finding a lost family heirloom while wandering around and got mauled by a wolf. He tells a self-mocking joke while the wolf is chewing on his thigh.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: January 27, 2011, 12:03:49 am »

farmer-"oh god help me! im being attacked my wolves!"
adventurer-"whats their level and my reward"
farmer-"umm my gratitude?"
adventurer-"............."

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: January 27, 2011, 03:02:22 am »

farmer-"oh god help me! im being attacked my wolves!"
adventurer-"whats their level and my reward"
farmer-"umm my gratitude?"
adventurer-"............."

that's why on serious role play campaigns big boss have big treasure and failing at easy task has serious penalties.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: January 27, 2011, 04:51:45 am »

P.S. Skyrim would seriously benefit from Chair-fu and the many related schools of combat.
I would so enjoy being able to play a meek ~servant, of some thoughtless or foolish lord, that gets into all kinds of pivotal situations but few people ever know about it. A person who never actually looks for praise, glory, or great accomplishment, but finds, or is forced into, many opportunities to get them. His favored tool would be the bar stool; a fine weapon that can turn away the axe of the berserker, bash the skull of the assassin, or provide a comfortable place to rest on those more arduous tasks. During the game, one may find better versions of it, or may manipulate one's lord and employer into buying versions that "don't keep breaking so unreasonably often"; or even never break at all.
 The lords or wealthy individuals you follow throughout the game could vary incredibly, and in each case you'd be trying to manipulate them for their own good (an extremely hard goal) and the good of those around them (an moderately hard goal). Your employer would send you on all kinds of dangerous, deadly, fantastic, and seemingly impossible tasks without having any understanding of what you'd be doing while you were gone. So another of your main challenges would be making sure your employer is not bothered by those horrible scars, those steel reinforced travel suits, or that potent arrow warding talisman, or the fact that your eyes are glowing from that Great Magic Crystal you had to swallow last task.
 Depending on how you did in the game, your current (and ideally, longtime) employer might one day look at you very carefully one day and realize you've somehow acquired the personal wealth and power of The High Fantasy Adventurer, and ask you "why are you working for me again?" Of course, there are other responses that would make me laugh just as much corresponding to other employer natures.

I could go on with this game design like one of JoshuaFH's game idea threads, however, circumstances inform me that it would not be prudent to do so.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: January 27, 2011, 05:29:33 pm »

That sounds really awesome, and probably deserves a game of its own.
[/post]

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #912 on: January 27, 2011, 05:46:56 pm »

I like this idea. I imagine that the player would start out as a meek youth apprentist of the Butler's Guild, eventually become a man-o-warservant decked in chainmail bow ties and tricky weapons... and then, eventually, become Jeeves; capable of somehow summoning a cup of tea while lost on an ice floe and able to clear out a cave full of bandits without a drop of blood on his suit and without tipping a tray of cheese and crackers for the master's dinner party.

I'll bankroll your development costs, Nivm. How far can you get on Three hundred and fifty yen a week?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: January 27, 2011, 07:38:47 pm »

I like this idea. I imagine that the player would start out as a meek youth apprentist of the Butler's Guild, eventually become a man-o-warservant decked in chainmail bow ties and tricky weapons... and then, eventually, become Jeeves; capable of somehow summoning a cup of tea while lost on an ice floe and able to clear out a cave full of bandits without a drop of blood on his suit and without tipping a tray of cheese and crackers for the master's dinner party.

I'll bankroll your development costs, Nivm. How far can you get on Three hundred and fifty yen a week?

I find this hilarious, given that Hayate no Gotoku is currently on my reading list.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: January 27, 2011, 07:42:59 pm »

Text adventure, java, IDE console only.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 201