Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265483 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #885 on: January 25, 2011, 12:49:44 pm »

consuming potions

Anyone else getting fed up with those?

They're a bit low in carbs.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: January 25, 2011, 12:51:31 pm »

Because a sword is larger and less precise than a dagger that can cut windpipes and such.

Well that's just the point, by being larger it can stick deeper into the enemy. What you're saying would make sense only for armored opponents, in which case a dagger would indeed be able to exploit weak spots in their defence better than a sword. But it sounds like this damage bonus applies globally, regardless of what you're fighting.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: January 25, 2011, 12:57:41 pm »

Well in theory, any big enough gash would cause a person to bleed out and die, hit points be damned. Anything that does anything to hit points is kinda gamey by nature. I'm not sure how real combat worked in the old ages, but I assume those that got their limbs chopped off died, unless they got really lucky, and those who lived generally managed to avoid being slashed across their unprotected chest by either a sword, knife or axe. Except for very minor superficial cuts.

That certain weapons do "bleeding damage", and others don't... well, don't know what to say. Are hit points blood? I don't even know what it's supposed to represent. A lot of games make some weapons have a chance to stun, other weapons ignore armor, others are more "bloody", or more "criticaley"... it's gamey alright. Is that bad?

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: January 25, 2011, 01:08:27 pm »

Well not necessarily. I think it's good that different weapons have different effects, it just seems kinda arbitrary that axes would make people bleed but swords wouldn't. If anything, I'd say the axe with all its weight concentrated in its head would be the weapon to punch through defences and cause critical hits, and the broad, cutting blade of the sword would cause large, heavily bleeding gashes. But you're right, anything with hitpoints is inherehtly gamey. Which I guess is kinda okay, give that it's a game.

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: January 25, 2011, 01:16:47 pm »

Are hit points blood? I don't even know what it's supposed to represent.

Most of the better games I've seen explain hit points as a measure of combined luck, skill and fortitude. Instead of automatically representing an injury it indicates that the subject is suffering from battle fatigue or minor wounds. In such systems, hitting 0hp generally represents the subject being too battered to keep their defenses up and finally suffering a debilitating or lethal injury.

Unfortunately this can't really be applied to TES thanks to the fact that every blow appears to be an eviscerating gut slice and every arrow buries itself fairly deep in the target. Running around with 6 shafts sticking out of your head and 80%+ hp is just plain silly.
... and then it explodes!

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: January 25, 2011, 01:24:55 pm »

the longer you keep the bow drawn the more powerful your shot will be
To what point and purpose? Why would I ever want to do less damage than the maximum I can?
If you have the bow drawn for less time, you'll be shooting arrows faster, with the disadvantage of not stretching the bow as far and the shot not being as powerful, so doing less damage. Basically a choice between speed or power. Also handy when you need to turn around and run when mid-draw.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: January 25, 2011, 01:39:43 pm »

the longer you keep the bow drawn the more powerful your shot will be

To what point and purpose? Why would I ever want to do less damage than the maximum I can?

If you have the bow drawn for less time, you'll be shooting arrows faster, with the disadvantage of not stretching the bow as far and the shot not being as powerful, so doing less damage. Basically a choice between speed or power. Also handy when you need to turn around and run when mid-draw.

So it's basically about finding the right rate of fire to maximize DPS (damage per second)? That's just silly.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: January 25, 2011, 01:45:22 pm »

No, it's situational. Range may also be a factor, longer draws may shoot the arrow further. If you have a big slow beasty that's at a distance from you and you have to shoot at it, you draw for a long time and then release to do lots of damage. If there are lots of little creatures you fire lots of arrows with short draw.If there's an enemy nearby, you release as many as possible by using short draws to damage them a bit and knock them off footing/balance, then pull out a sword and go in to attack, or run, perhaps even risk a long draw to knock them around a bit more.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: January 25, 2011, 04:02:41 pm »

Well that's just the point, by being larger it can stick deeper into the enemy.

Presumably the daggers are long enough to reach the vital organs through the clothing, skin and bones. If you can cut someone's aorta, why would you want to stab any deeper?

As for the bows, wasn't that in Morrowind? Drawing the bow takes time, depending on your bow skill, and drawing it more results in more damage. I think. I never used bows all that much.

As for the relation between hit points and damage, it's hilarious. :D

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: January 25, 2011, 04:24:40 pm »

So what if you're up against something like, say, a minotaur? Those things are twice as tall as you, so slicing the windpipe is out simply because you can't reach. Plus I'm guessing something big like that has pretty thick skin. I'm betting a regular dagger wouldn't be able to get through the thick hide, the layer of fat underneath it, and the muscles under that and still reach vital organs. Or this fat fuck? No way you're reaching his vital organs with just a dagger. Or how about a storm atronach? The thing's nothing more than a pile of levitating stones, it doesn't have vital organs.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: January 25, 2011, 04:27:33 pm »

you really want a game with that much realism, play DF.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: January 25, 2011, 04:29:26 pm »

Right, because in reality living bronze statues typically try to murder midgets using socks. Got it.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: January 25, 2011, 04:55:49 pm »

So what if you're up against something like, say, a minotaur? Those things are twice as tall as you, so slicing the windpipe is out simply because you can't reach. Plus I'm guessing something big like that has pretty thick skin. I'm betting a regular dagger wouldn't be able to get through the thick hide, the layer of fat underneath it, and the muscles under that and still reach vital organs. Or this fat fuck? No way you're reaching his vital organs with just a dagger. Or how about a storm atronach? The thing's nothing more than a pile of levitating stones, it doesn't have vital organs.

In all those cases, I suppose backstabbing wouldn't work at all. :P

Well, it still might, depending on what the good folks at Bethesda do with it. I think Baldur's Gate had constructs and the undead immune to backstabs.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: January 25, 2011, 05:12:37 pm »

Right, because in reality living bronze statues typically try to murder midgets using socks. Got it.

I don't think you understood what he meant by "realism", and I'm pretty sure socks being deadly isn't an intended feature of DF.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: January 25, 2011, 05:31:58 pm »

S'pretty easy to kill people with socks. Can think of at least two immediate ones before putting things in the sock comes around.

Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Then again, the colossus is probably swinging really hard. If the sock didn't come apart from the force, I'd imagine it'd kill someone.

Me, I'm pretty sure anything being deadly is an intended feature of DF. Otherwise, why misc. object mastery :P

P.S. Skyrim would seriously benefit from Chair-fu and the many related schools of combat.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 05:35:27 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 201