Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265361 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #795 on: January 21, 2011, 10:43:30 am »

Climbing would be awkward to implement in a proper 3D engine.
Why? There've been many proper 3d engines with climbing. Maybe not the Assassin's Creed climb anywhere kind, but even the Tomb Raider kind of climbing would be better than being unable to get over a neck-high fence.

I mean, the first two Gothic games did it, just to look at an Action RPG example.

Though what bothers me more than being unable to climb up a ledge is characters being unable to move up a steep grassy hill. It's dirt! You can kick your own steps into it! Or grab hold and crawl up! Instead I have to move around and look for a sufficiently flat part to go up.

gta 4 vertical interaction is done pretty well, even if it doesn't include climbing proper.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #796 on: January 21, 2011, 10:56:03 am »

Shouts: Gotta catch 'em all.

Looks really meh. Default "A king is you!" storyline.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 21, 2011, 11:54:05 am »

Shouts: Gotta catch 'em all.

Eh, I'm okay with that. What bothers me a lot more is the stuipd cuneiform script they came up with for it. That doesn't fit into the nordinc setting at all. They may talk about how they constructed a dragon language and put a lot of thought into how dragons would write stuff by scratching it into stone with their claws (*chuckle*), but that doesn't change the fact that it's sodding cuneiform! Anyone who went to high school will take one look at that and think: "Wait, what? Dragons are from Mesopotamia?" It's about as off as having Bozo the Clown perform mass in Saint Peter's.

I don't think there's a need to be able to climb every surface, I'd be perfectly happy with a compromise where only some surfaces with hand-placed hardpoints are climbable.

Honestly, I think that this is so out of line with the open-world, player-driven nature of TES that I'd really hate to see it. By "it", I mean the game cherry-picking spots where I can climb, hide, etc., based on what the game "expects" me to do.

Well it certainly makes more sense to me than being able to climb completely smooth surfaces and being able to hide in a brightly lit room with no furniture or hiding spots of any kind, both of which are the TES way of handling this. Yes it would be very easy to do this badly and make it seem gamey, but I think if it was done well it would be restrictive, but in a good way. No matter how good you are there's simply no way to climb without something to hold onto and hide without something to hide behind. Of course, implementing that sort of thing well would take a huge amount of effort and I seriously doubt Bethsoft could pull it off, but I maintain that in principle it's not such a bad idea.
On that note, here's hoping for a revamped, shadow-based stealth system (ie. Thief ripoff). Yeah, fat chance.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 11:56:08 am by Sordid »

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: January 21, 2011, 12:53:44 pm »

What bothers me a lot more is the stuipd cuneiform script they came up with for it. That doesn't fit into the nordinc setting at all. They may talk about how they constructed a dragon language and put a lot of thought into how dragons would write stuff by scratching it into stone with their claws (*chuckle*), but that doesn't change the fact that it's sodding cuneiform! Anyone who went to high school will take one look at that and think: "Wait, what? Dragons are from Mesopotamia?" It's about as off as having Bozo the Clown perform mass in Saint Peter's.

You actually care about something like that? I mean, Morrowind already had vaguely Mesopotamian Hlaalu buildings and Redoran shell huts next to European-style Imperial houses and dwarven steampunk ruins and Lovecraftian daedric ruins and Telvanni mushroom towers. Mixing cultural influences from several different continents and millenia into new chimeric fantasy settings seems to be what Bethesda can do well.

Why should the dragon language fit the nordic setting, anyway? Dragons come from Akavir. If anything, they should be writing Chinese.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 21, 2011, 01:03:21 pm »

I don't really like the whole "dragon" thing. I mean, it'd probably good in any other game, but in Elder Scrolls? Eh, not so much.

Eh, I'm okay with that. What bothers me a lot more is the stuipd cuneiform script they came up with for it. That doesn't fit into the nordinc setting at all. They may talk about how they constructed a dragon language and put a lot of thought into how dragons would write stuff by scratching it into stone with their claws (*chuckle*), but that doesn't change the fact that it's sodding cuneiform! Anyone who went to high school will take one look at that and think: "Wait, what? Dragons are from Mesopotamia?" It's about as off as having Bozo the Clown perform mass in Saint Peter's.

It's like Paolini and his "I MADE UP DWARVEN IN MY BOOKS" bullshit, when he really just ripped off Old Norse.

The way the language is constructed (similar runes for similar words) makes me think they have completely ripped off cuneiform.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 01:07:30 pm by Farseer »

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: January 21, 2011, 01:21:11 pm »

Dragons have been in TES since Daggerfall, maybe Arena. They're part of the lore and it was bound to pop up in-person at some point.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: January 21, 2011, 01:24:35 pm »

Dragons have been in TES since Daggerfall, maybe Arena. They're part of the lore and it was bound to pop up in-person at some point.

Yeah, but I'm worried it'll turn out even cheesier than Oblivion did with it. I meant more the "dragon tongue" thing. That just feels forced.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: January 21, 2011, 01:25:08 pm »

You actually care about something like that? I mean, Morrowind already had vaguely Mesopotamian Hlaalu buildings and Redoran shell huts next to European-style Imperial houses and dwarven steampunk ruins and Lovecraftian daedric ruins and Telvanni mushroom towers. Mixing cultural influences from several different continents and millenia into new chimeric fantasy settings seems to be what Bethesda can do well.

Why should the dragon language fit the nordic setting, anyway? Dragons come from Akavir. If anything, they should be writing Chinese.

The thing is, Morrowind with its cultural clashes was basically a fantasy version of the middle east, and all of the real-world references fell roughly into that region, so it all kind of vaguely fit together. A lot of the backstory was precisely about the mishmash of influences and the dunmer hating the imperials for imposing their culture on the province (the parallel made all the mode blatant by the Imperials being Roman-styled). There was a reason for it. The cuneiform just seems... random. Like they thought: "Well we need a new script, but we don't want runes, that's too obvious, so let's pick some other distinctive looking script from the pages of history."
But maybe I'm pre-judging. The only piece of info so far is what the script will look like, so maybe this new piece of lore will be exceptionally well developed and interesting. After all, I did hate Morrowind for its weirdness for the first couple dozen hours or so, so maybe it'll grow on me.

Also, I snickered at the "chimeric" reference there. Exceptionally well punned, sir. :D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 01:30:47 pm by Sordid »

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: January 21, 2011, 01:28:58 pm »

The cuneiform just seems... random.
But maybe I'm pre-judging. The only piece of info so far is what the script will look like, so maybe this new piece of lore will be exceptionally well developed and interesting.

Nah, they've also released info on how it's written and read and it seems to be exactly like cuneiform. Hell, it even seems like, during development, it went from early bronze age cuneiform to late bronze age, which is bloody hilarious.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: January 21, 2011, 01:36:29 pm »

The cuneiform just seems... random.
But maybe I'm pre-judging. The only piece of info so far is what the script will look like, so maybe this new piece of lore will be exceptionally well developed and interesting.

Nah, they've also released info on how it's written and read and it seems to be exactly like cuneiform. Hell, it even seems like, during development, it went from early bronze age cuneiform to late bronze age, which is bloody hilarious.

That info just seems like a load of claptrap made up after the fact, to be honest. I find the image of a dragon using its claws to scratch marks into stone insanely funny. Like... why claws? Don't they have, like, tools? Then how did they build these structures on which the script is supposedly to appear? Did they have humanoid slaves for that? Then why didn't they have the slaves do the writing too? It's just weird.
Although it could potentially be made awesome by having the dragon pre-heat the slab with his fire, then use his claws to make impressions into the malleable surface, giving it a glass-like shine and smoothness once it cools down.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: January 21, 2011, 01:39:40 pm »

That info just seems like a load of claptrap made up after the fact, to be honest. I find the image of a dragon using its claws to scratch marks into stone insanely funny. Like... why claws? Don't they have, like, tools? Then how did they build these structures on which the script is supposedly to appear? Did they have humanoid slaves for that? Then why didn't they have the slaves do the writing too? It's just weird.
Although it could potentially be made awesome by having the dragon pre-heat the slab with his fire, then use his claws to make impressions into the malleable surface, giving it a glass-like shine and smoothness once it cools down.

Man, it's fantasy. No one EVER explains dragons. It's always, "THEY MAGEEEEK" or something along those lines.

What is everyone here going to be playing in Skyrim, anyhow? I think I'll be making a nord berserker because, come on, that's awesome and lorefull.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: January 21, 2011, 01:42:45 pm »

High-elf warrior that sneaks, I will be the least lore-abiding character possible!
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: January 21, 2011, 01:46:09 pm »

I think I'll play the same character I've always played in TES, a petit Breton rogue.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #808 on: January 21, 2011, 01:53:22 pm »

Argonian destruction mage. Specializing in fire damage.
Who says there can only be one kind of fire-breathing reptile around here?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: January 21, 2011, 02:15:16 pm »

If I ever do get this game, I have no preference as to what I'll play.

I'm rather intrigued by this cuneiform script though, because Dwemer are the Mesopotamia-analog.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 201