Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265194 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #720 on: January 19, 2011, 09:29:07 am »

I demand spears.

Me too. To me, spears are THE dragon killing weapon.

I doubt there will be, though. Kiddies don't find spears cool enough.

Lord Vivec had a spear, if you know what I mean. 8)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 19, 2011, 10:21:15 am »

The best system for skills would be having your individual skills for each weapon type and more large groupings for generic weapon classes. So while you have seperate skills for handling longswords and cutlasses you would also be building up swords in general, and melee weapons in general. Thus you are not completely tied down to one weapon type, and using a mace won't make you just as good with axes. That always seemed to be the two biggest issues with the Morrowind and Oblivion systems, so whatever works.

And yeah, gotta get some spears in.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 19, 2011, 10:38:40 am »

That's way too complicated even for a PC game, let alone a sucksbox one. And I seriously doubt we're going to have spears. Or crossbows.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 19, 2011, 10:54:02 am »

That's way too complicated even for a PC game, let alone a sucksbox one. And I seriously doubt we're going to have spears. Or crossbows.
How is that too complicated? There are far more convoluted and counter-intuitive things in D&D, for example. This would basically be like raising strength while building up a weapon skill, except instead of an attribute, you're raising an overall skill.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: January 19, 2011, 11:07:38 am »

I'm happy that they haven't decided to go all 'renaissance' on us with pikes and early gunpowder and stuff since it's 200 years later, that would suck a little.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: January 19, 2011, 11:20:19 am »

How is that too complicated? There are far more convoluted and counter-intuitive things in D&D, for example. This would basically be like raising strength while building up a weapon skill, except instead of an attribute, you're raising an overall skill.

Even dungeon crawl has it, with the overlapping skill fighting and the more specialized skills short blades, long blades, axes etc, and they also crosstrain.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 19, 2011, 11:38:08 am »

I'm happy that they haven't decided to go all 'renaissance' on us with pikes and early gunpowder and stuff since it's 200 years later, that would suck a little.

The place seems to have been stuck in medieval stasis since the Dwarves left. How much is that, anyway? A thousand years? Two thousand years? More than that?

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: January 19, 2011, 11:40:44 am »

That's because D&D is an incoherent, convoluted mess. Besides, I believe the point of the proposed system was to increase realism, D&D isn't exactly a shining example of that, is it. Not to mention that it's not a computer-based system at all.

Actually that would be awesome. How many RPGs do you know that are set in a generic, pseudo-medieval setting? That's just about all of them that aren't Kotor or Mass Effect. How many do you know that are set in the Renaissance or a Renaissance-like fantasy setting? Personally I can't recall a single one, ever. Personally I'm bored of the longswords and shields. Gimme a rapier and a cape for a change!
Plus I think blasting dragons with cannons would be fantastic. Kinda like the movie Reign of Fire, where they fight dragons with helicopters and tanks. Too bad the rest of that movie is total crap. Let's face it, realistically, a guy with a sword would not stand much of a chance against a giant, flying, armored, fire-breathing reptile. Gunpowder would even the odds a bit.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:46:41 am by Sordid »

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: January 19, 2011, 11:48:37 am »

Actually that would be awesome. How many RPGs do you know that are set in a generic, pseudo-medieval setting? That's just about all of them that aren't Kotor or Mass Effect. How many do you know that are set in the Renaissance or a Renaissance-like fantasy setting? Personally I can't recall a single one, ever. Personally I'm bored of the longswords and shields. Gimme a rapier and a cape for a change!

Fable 2 and 3?

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: January 19, 2011, 11:50:54 am »

In my opinion Fable 2 was amazing and Fable 3 was terrible, but let's not get off topic. I'd like to see some exotic swords in this game, ones that don't exist in real life and look really awesome.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: January 19, 2011, 11:51:41 am »

They've got magic I guess :P. It may be something to do with constant war with the Empire and Gods(Aedra(sort of) and Daedra) and now dragons, perhaps stagnating development. But gunpowder weaponry and industrialisation of some sort would probably mess the lore up a bit.

Edit, ninja'd

That's because D&D is an incoherent, convoluted mess. Besides, I believe the point of the proposed system was to increase realism, D&D isn't exactly a shining example of that, is it. Not to mention that it's not a computer-based system at all.

Plus I think blasting dragons with cannons would be fantastic. Kinda like the movie Reign of Fire, where they fight dragons with helicopters and tanks. Too bad the rest of that movie is total crap. Let's face it, realistically, a guy with a sword would not stand much of a chance against a giant, flying, armored, fire-breathing reptile. Gunpowder would even the odds a bit.
Yea, but it's for another game. If they put it in the Elder Scrolls, it'd mess stuff up.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: January 19, 2011, 12:05:35 pm »

Wouldn't including gunpowder actually go against the lore? In the TES universe (should that 'the' be in there?) men and mer are devolving and becoming less powerful and knowledgeable with each generation. In the beginning all that existed was Anu and Padomay, but then the universe was created (a bunch of other stuff also happened that I missed out) and the Aedra were made. They split into Aedra and, slightly less powerful, Daedra before creating Aldmer. Aldmer devolved into the Ayleids and so on until we have the current races.

Therefore technology cannot advance, in fact in a few centuries it will start going back towards stone-age tech.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: January 19, 2011, 12:10:08 pm »

Fable 2 and 3?

Oh right, I forgot about those. Probably because they're not on the PC, at least not yet. And I'm quite looking forward to F3, actually. It'll be like a breath of fresh air. Too bad it's a Molyneux brainchild. The man's even worse with the hype than Bethsoft and the last game he's made that was genuinely good was Populous. We'll see.
Still, two games (well, one game and a sequel) isn't very many.

They've got magic I guess :P. It may be something to do with constant war with the Empire and Gods(Aedra(sort of) and Daedra) and now dragons, perhaps stagnating development.

War doesn't hinder development, it drives it.

But gunpowder weaponry and industrialisation of some sort would probably mess the lore up a bit.

You mean more than the last three games have already? In Daggerfall you had the Warp in the West, which pretty much turned the entire region upside down, in Morrowind the three immortal god-kings that've ruled that part of the world got stripped of their power (and two of them got croaked), and in Oblivion the whole empire's gone tits up. Bethsoft put a worldchanging event into every single game they make, I don't think gunpowder would stand out too much in this respect. Plus it'd open up a number of new possibilities in terms of both gameplay and lore development.
The whole series until now has happened within a relatively short timeframe (the life of a single emperor, who was pretty old already even in the first game). If they're going to start jumping hundreds of years forward, I think there should be some change in the world.

Wouldn't including gunpowder actually go against the lore? In the TES universe (should that 'the' be in there?) men and mer are devolving and becoming less powerful and knowledgeable with each generation. In the beginning all that existed was Anu and Padomay, but then the universe was created (a bunch of other stuff also happened that I missed out) and the Aedra were made. They split into Aedra and, slightly less powerful, Daedra before creating Aldmer. Aldmer devolved into the Ayleids and so on until we have the current races.

Therefore technology cannot advance, in fact in a few centuries it will start going back towards stone-age tech.

So where do the Dwemer fit into this? They had advanced tech, in a lot of ways even more advanced than what we have today (robots that function for thousands of years with no maintenance, anyone?).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 12:19:09 pm by Sordid »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: January 19, 2011, 12:18:09 pm »

Well the dwemer did have steam-powered weapons and robots, and I believe there was mention in Morrowind of the Dark Brotherhood using mechanical weapons and traps.  Along with the number of explosive spells and alchemists, I really wouldn't be surprised to see guns, gunpowder, and even pseudo-guns with a enchantment that 'shoots' items.  Though if they were going to introduce these types of items, I think they'd need more of a return of the Dwemer game, as opposed to dragons being unleashed.
Frankly, cross-bows and spears NEED to come back, that was my second biggest irk with oblivion, my first was the lack of levitation and jump spells.  I mean flying was awesome in Morrowind, and how do they explain that all morrowind mages know how to fly (hell all of the house telvini used them just as defenses, by making flying necessary) but none one else does?
Nom nom nom

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: January 19, 2011, 12:24:09 pm »

They explain it by saying that it's been made illegal in Cyrodiil. But of course that makes no sense, since you can buy illegal drugs, fence stolen goods, and even join a criminal organization of professional murderers. But apparently there isn't a single mage willing to sell you a levitation spell under the table.
I loved levitation. I kinda get why they removed it, it was a gamebreaker. You could win most fights just by levitating a bit and then chucking fireballs at your enemies on the ground. But I absolutely adored the three-dimensional caverns. Anyone remember that daedric bow on a ledge only accessible with levitation with a skeleton and a note next to it? You just don't find little touches like that in Oblivion.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 201