Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265012 times)

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #645 on: January 17, 2011, 03:36:31 pm »

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_elder_scrolls_v_skyrim/b/xbox360/archive/2011/01/17/the-technology-behind-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim.aspx

Woo!

I have faith that the Radiant AI system will be pretty good this time around.  They've had years to perfect it and it should actually perform like it was originally touted for Oblivion.

The Radiant Story thing makes me a little nervous as to how exactly they're going to pull it off.  The idea that their giving the game the power to decide how I would like to play is a little scary.  On the other hand, this reminds me a little of Daggerfall's quest system which is definitely good.  I just hope that the number of variations of quests is high enough so it doesn't feel like they're simply throwing Dungeon X with Monsters Y with Objective Z at me all the time.

I'm really interested in seeing how varied the dungeons and landscapes will be.  Even though there was little variation in the textures used, I liked how Daggerfall's dungeons felt completely different from the next.  In Oblivion, it seemed that all dungeons were comprised of large pre-designed "chunks" put together like a puzzle.  You'd see the same 10 puzzle pieces in every single dungeon arranged in a different order.  It got boring really fast.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: January 17, 2011, 03:43:40 pm »

Bethesda has worked meticulously to make sure the beasts look powerful and menacing when banking, flapping their wings, gaining altitude before making another strafing run, and breathing fire on their hapless victims.

I do hope this means flying will be back in, if dragons can do it, hopefully we can too.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: January 17, 2011, 03:46:44 pm »

In Oblivion, it seemed that all dungeons were comprised of large pre-designed "chunks" put together like a puzzle.
That's exactly how it works.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: January 17, 2011, 03:48:50 pm »

Bethesda has worked meticulously to make sure the beasts look powerful and menacing when banking, flapping their wings, gaining altitude before making another strafing run, and breathing fire on their hapless victims.

I do hope this means flying will be back in, if dragons can do it, hopefully we can too.

Did anyone else noticed they mention dragons TALKING
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: January 17, 2011, 03:50:36 pm »

Did anyone else noticed they mention dragons TALKING
According to TES lore dragons are fully sapient creatures that can talk and everything.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: January 17, 2011, 03:50:57 pm »

The randomized missions does really sound interesting. Finally, someone is thinking procedurally about quest handling. It's been a long time in coming. It's cool that game will tailor the random quests you're offered according to what you've been doing. I just hope they don't do it in a ham fisted manner that they've done other mechanics.....like if you do 2 assassination quests, suddenly that's ALL you're doing and you're locked into part of the game now.

The Radiant AI bit though....meh. I read no difference between what's been promised before and what was actually presented. NPCs have routines. They'll do these routines in believable places. They'll have good animations. I can't help but compare that design philosophy to the same one that put 14,000,000 containers in Bethesda game worlds. Sweet, we are faced with realistic amounts of containers. It still gets boring after 10 hours though, and you get sick of going through everyone's house, checking every container. Will populating a world with fields and mines expressly for NPCs to work in really be all that interesting? Or is it more the obsession with having a filled out world that still results in something uninspired? Will you even notice or care about the highly realistic NPC routines after a few hours?

NPCs tracking your behavior isn't new, it's scripting 4 modes of NPC attitudes and using a flag system to track how they should change. I'm not saying it's not an improvement....it just sounds like Bethesda may finally be catching up to do something other than a cookie cutter design. Maybe.

The screens are looking quite nice. Like Oblivion, they seem hung up on visuals again though. Ditching Speed Tree was probably a good thing but....at the cost of writing a system to do their own trees? All that...for trees?

Like the last few Bethesda games, I'm just gonna have to wait to see if they actually put their money where their mouth is. Because they never really have since Morrowind, in my book.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 03:55:38 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: January 17, 2011, 04:09:40 pm »

In Oblivion, it seemed that all dungeons were comprised of large pre-designed "chunks" put together like a puzzle.
Which is strange, because it was how Morrowind was made too. And yet I loved those dungeons. Possibly because while they reused a lot of chunks they still had a ton of them and they used them in interesting ways. Like flooding some with water, or bisecting caves with tombs or Daedric ruins with Dwemmer tunnels. The Oblivion caves and ruins reused perhaps too many set pieces, the caves being halls and rooms and the forts being the most dull layouts ever.

So using a cookie-cutter design recycling areas isn't bad, it's how you use it. And keeping in mind to have enough set pieces that they won't get dull.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: January 17, 2011, 04:11:52 pm »

Is anyone else starting to hope for destroyable environments. Oh, and rebuildable to, at least by the NPCs with the radiant AI and all... Maybe that's a little too high hoped...

Edit:
I hope they make it easy to mod. 'Cause I want to be the guy who sleeps with his best friend's wife  >:D
Has anyone found any demo videos?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 04:21:07 pm by MasterFancyPants »
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 17, 2011, 04:20:12 pm »

You be dreamin' if you expect destructible environments. No fantasy game has really ever delivered on that. It's hard to make mind-bending outside set pieces when they're also destructible. Red Faction does it pretty well, because the whole game is devoted to that concept.

A 1st/3rd person fantasy game that actually let the wizard blow up whole buildings with their awesome spells.....would probably be an instant best seller.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 17, 2011, 04:30:41 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This thing sounds like it has the potential to be either awesome or absolutely terrible. Only time will tell how the system will actually play. I'm definitely interested.

As for terrain recycling, yeah, you CAN do it well. Like, Morrowind had that one Telvanni tower that had grown through an imperial fortress. Tel Aruhn? I think it was Aruhn. You could almost see the seams where they'd copypasted it together. It was totally awesome. If you have enough building blocks, you can make virtually anything with them. This is also one of the problems that mods aren't going to fix, so I kind of hope they get it right.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 17, 2011, 04:35:44 pm »

Which is strange, because it was how Morrowind was made too. And yet I loved those dungeons. Possibly because while they reused a lot of chunks they still had a ton of them and they used them in interesting ways. Like flooding some with water, or bisecting caves with tombs or Daedric ruins with Dwemmer tunnels. The Oblivion caves and ruins reused perhaps too many set pieces, the caves being halls and rooms and the forts being the most dull layouts ever.

So using a cookie-cutter design recycling areas isn't bad, it's how you use it. And keeping in mind to have enough set pieces that they won't get dull.

Along with using the pieces in creative ways, I think another huge factor was the size of the pieces.  If Oblivion's dungeons were akin to a 15 piece Fisherprice pre-school puzzle, Morrowind and Daggerfall's dungeons were like 300 piece jigsaw puzzles.  The smaller your pieces, the more difficult it becomes to distinguish between the end of one "chunk" and the beginning of the next one.

I'm hoping the Skyrim dungeons have a lot more "verticalness" to them.  The world screenshots of Skyrim already look like they are going this direction which is a good sign.  Spelunking a cave really should feel more realistic with deep crevasses and irregular walls.  This is a stretch, but I would love for a game like this to actually require you to use real caving equipment, like ropes, and other climbing gear.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 17, 2011, 04:40:26 pm »

Which is strange, because it was how Morrowind was made too.

That's how it's been ever since Daggerfall. At least these days the chunks are properly aligned so you don't fall into nothingness through a gap between polygons.

As for terrain recycling, yeah, you CAN do it well. Like, Morrowind had that one Telvanni tower that had grown through an imperial fortress. Tel Aruhn? I think it was Aruhn.

Why does everyone think it was Tel Aruhn? You're like the third person I've seen make that mistake. It was Tel Vos. Get your fictional geography straight, whippersnappers. :P

Edit:

characters struggle to move when trapped in environmental hazards like spider webs

OHSHI-
GCS!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:54:15 pm by Sordid »

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 17, 2011, 05:10:57 pm »

Sounds like sexy cavern systems :P.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 17, 2011, 05:31:37 pm »

Why does everyone think it was Tel Aruhn? You're like the third person I've seen make that mistake. It was Tel Vos. Get your fictional geography straight, whippersnappers. :P

Dangit! Well, I think the guy who lived there was Master Aryon, and many of those towers are named after the resident mage-lord.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: January 17, 2011, 05:48:39 pm »

Now I'm getting excited about Skyrim. It sounds like they're implementing actual half-decent ideas. :(

DAMN YOU BETHESDA

When's it coming out again?
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 201