Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265015 times)

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #630 on: January 17, 2011, 11:34:30 am »

I don't think Oblivion's generic feeling had to do so much with the medieval setting as much as it had to do with how the world was designed.  There really is nothing but trees and water from one tip of the map to the other, with nothing but cookie-cutter dungeons in between.  The fact that you would still run into the same level-scaled enemies no matter where you went, what was the point exploring?

Take Gothic 2, for example.  This game had the same medieval setting, yet it was so much richer and so much more interesting than Oblivion's world.  A medieval world can be done well, it just wasn't in Oblivion.

I just hope that Skyrim isn't going to be like Oblivion, but with a "Norse" theme pasted on it.  I hope they mix it up a bit.

Yea. It sounds like Skryim has the opportunity  to be quite interesting, with cities carved into rock and set up in abandoned dwemeri mountains.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 17, 2011, 11:48:53 am »

Oh no, someone doesn't like a game I really like. Troll!

More that he's been complaining about it non-stop for months, if not years, and Toady just locked a thread that he specifically made for his complaints (which I didn't report myself, but apparently a bunch of other people did), only to immediately move his complaining here after his thread was locked.

'Complaining' is really too nice a word, too, since it really does look like trolling, the way he phrases what he says.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 11:50:33 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 17, 2011, 11:56:44 am »

I have to agree with Shadowlord
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 17, 2011, 12:08:40 pm »

Oh no, someone doesn't like a game I really like. Troll!

More that he's been complaining about it non-stop for months, if not years, and Toady just locked a thread that he specifically made for his complaints (which I didn't report myself, but apparently a bunch of other people did), only to immediately move his complaining here after his thread was locked.

'Complaining' is really too nice a word, too, since it really does look like trolling, the way he phrases what he says.
You were the one who went into that thread with scorn for a specific person. Both parties involved didn't have anything against the thread itself.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 17, 2011, 12:47:03 pm »

You had the "complaining about Oblivion" thread locked, and now you complain that people are complaining about Oblivion here instead?

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 17, 2011, 01:07:09 pm »

WHAT!?!
Others, too, have opinions.

His post makes me feel that he never finished Morrowind's Campaign. Since he wanted Skyrim to 2x longer than Oblivion, but 4x longer than Morrowind. Who spent more time on Oblivion's main quest than Morrowind's?

If you read my post, I just said that I didn't complete morrowind because it felt boring to me, and I do believe that cut scenes help make the storyline greater, look at final fantasy and World of Warcraft, and Guild Wars. Cut scene is a great option to go for when making a great storyline, otherwise to me it's nothing more then just meager game for only gameplay filled with repetitiveness.

The reason I don't like cut scenes is that they unpersonalize the game everyone sees a cut scene or a scripted event, but how many people tried to play as ninja mage?
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 17, 2011, 01:28:38 pm »

You had the "complaining about Oblivion" thread locked, and now you complain that people are complaining about Oblivion here instead?

As I said, I didn't have anything to do with it being locked. I'm saying that if it was locked because of how he was complaining, he probably shouldn't be doing the same thing in other threads too.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 17, 2011, 01:31:31 pm »

I'm pretty sure that thread was locked because one guy made 20 complaining about games threads in a very short span of time.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 17, 2011, 01:45:23 pm »

Nope, it was because it was aggressive, according to Toady One.
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 17, 2011, 01:50:43 pm »

Seriously, stop talking talking about arguing about Oblivion. Discuss Skyrim. That is the purpose of the thread. I count 8 posts in a row, not including this one, that have nothing to do with this thread.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 17, 2011, 02:04:22 pm »

Well, my greatest desire for this game is that they have werewolves, and actually make an effort to integrate their system into the world. There's practically no good games out there where you can play as a werewolf, and Bloodmoon in Morrowind was by far the best... but it still ended up feeling pretty empty and meaningless once you finished the main quest in Bloodmoon. There's no NPCs you can interact with in any way related to your condition, and any NPC who sees you transform just makes the entire world insantly hate you.

I guess what I'm really hoping for is not just lycanthropy, but it having some impact on your game besides a skin-change and a stat boost. I want questlines, other werewolf NPCs who don't try to kill you, Werewolf-hunter NPCs that DO try to kill you, stuff like that. Maybe even a cool hideout.

I'll be able to forgive a lot of questionable design choices in the game if they come through on this one thing.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 17, 2011, 02:29:00 pm »

I guess what I'm really hoping for is not just lycanthropy, but it having some impact on your game besides a skin-change and a stat boost. I want questlines, other werewolf NPCs who don't try to kill you, Werewolf-hunter NPCs that DO try to kill you, stuff like that. Maybe even a cool hideout.
I'd like the same, but for vampires.
[/post]

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 17, 2011, 02:39:42 pm »

I wouldl iek to see levatation added, Neverplaying morrowind I don't know what it was like but I want it.

Also I wound like to see spears added as well.
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: January 17, 2011, 02:50:29 pm »

I'll probably try my hand at modding werewolves and vampires if they aren't in/aren't good enough.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 201