Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 264948 times)

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #600 on: January 16, 2011, 04:00:06 pm »

Anyway, how about that Skyrim? Has anybody heard rumors or somesuch about a storyline other than that there is one man who fights dragons?

You start as a prisoner (yet again)
You are the last of the Dragonborn
Prophecy about Alduin returning to devour the world
Skyrim has a Civil War, which is the last sign of the Prophecy
<Do Hero Stuff here>

It's basically Oblivion 2 with Dragons and possibly more political conflict.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: January 16, 2011, 04:03:33 pm »

Anyway, how about that Skyrim? Has anybody heard rumors or somesuch about a storyline other than that there is one man who fights dragons?

You start as a prisoner (yet again)
You are the last of the Dragonborn
Prophecy about Alduin returning to devour the world
Skyrim has a Civil War, which is the last sign of the Prophecy
<Do Hero Stuff here>

It's basically Oblivion 2 with Dragons and possibly more political conflict.
Err, isn't one of the core things about The Elder Scrolls that your character starts out as a prisoner? It was the case in Morrowind and Oblivion, and I believe Arena, though I have no knowledge of Daggerfall. I really don't see anything wrong with it as a concept, it's the generic 'we won't tell you your past so you can make it up' thing that's pretty appreciable.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: January 16, 2011, 04:13:16 pm »

In Daggerfall you're a personal friend of the Emperor sent to the titular city, only you get shipwrecked on the way, crawl into a cave, which then promptly collapses behind you, thus sealing you at the bottom of the first dungeon with the objective of getting out.
And yeah, I actually do like the prisoner thing. But I'd still prefer to have some background. RPGs that provide that have generally felt a lot more deep to me, like Kotor 2 and Mass Effect. But I guess the blankness of the character is part of the whole sandbox thing.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: January 16, 2011, 04:16:44 pm »

If hype ruins your enjoyment of a game, can't you just, like, not read it?

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: January 16, 2011, 04:22:40 pm »

Err, isn't one of the core things about The Elder Scrolls that your character starts out as a prisoner? It was the case in Morrowind and Oblivion, and I believe Arena, though I have no knowledge of Daggerfall. I really don't see anything wrong with it as a concept, it's the generic 'we won't tell you your past so you can make it up' thing that's pretty appreciable.

While the (yet again) may have sounded annoyed, it was actually meant to remark on the fact that starting in a dungeon is pretty much an Elder Scroll series trope.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: January 16, 2011, 04:29:40 pm »

Retconning the setting from rainforest and marsh to generic D&D fantasy land.
I'm not going to argue with you about whether or not Oblivion is a good game or not. Some think it is, some do not. However, I must say that this quote makes no sense. Dungeons and Dragons, by definition, is not a set world. There are some core settings, but Faerun, Eberron, and Greyhawk are all wildly different. Of these, only Greyhawk is somewhat close to Cyrodiil.

Just to clear up my previous statement, Greyhawk is the generic D&D setting.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: January 16, 2011, 04:32:33 pm »

Was. Now it's Eberron. My actual point, though, was that comparing Cyrodiil to a 'fantasy land' that can be almost anything is pretty vague.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: January 16, 2011, 04:53:52 pm »

Was. Now it's Eberron. My actual point, though, was that comparing Cyrodiil to a 'fantasy land' that can be almost anything is pretty vague.

This really belongs in that other thread I made, but when I say "Generic Fantasy Land" I mean generic.  Like all those generic fantasy lands that are basically poor rip offs of middle earth with no real distinguishing features from each other and no real distinguishing features from their inspiration but far less subtle magic.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: January 16, 2011, 05:45:49 pm »

"Generic Fantasy Land" is essencially what it's been called many times before "The same 4 square miles of english countryside over and over again with magic and monsters thrown in"
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

darkedone02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: January 17, 2011, 01:15:56 am »

I really don't know what to think about Skyrim, after playing though Oblivion and a bit of Morrowind, I can expect that it could be boring and will have some issues with the game.

One of things that I don't like about morrowind is the combat system how it is skill based and when starting off, I will miss alot, even with a weapon that I am skilled at. The Storyline of the game is less interesting then oblivion, probably due to so much text and not enough cutscenes or "not so much energy" to reach for my attention and to play more of the game. Sometimes the Directions is difficult to understand and tend to use an online map to find out where is my exact location to go to. A lack of a fast travel (I would find it boring going to town to town over and over again and will like to speed it up by going to a town instantly). I do however like the massive amount of weapons and equipment that you can wield, Spears, Throwing Knifes and Shurikens, Chitin Armor (basically what I acquire to start out with), Bonemeld Armor, Daedric was really rare to find, and the storyline was big. I like the game, however after playing for a few days, I was not motivated to play the game any further. I'm tired of getting attacked by Assassin's that nearly killed me, I have a hard time hitting my opponents, the storyline was quite boring due to all the text and no cutscenes or anything very interesting to grab my attention, ugh.

Now when I play Oblivion, I was kinda happy, and liked it for a short time till things start getting repetitive, doing the same missions over and over and how some of the dungeons and places are scripted instead of random. What I don't like about dungeons is the lack of verity of items that they removed from Morrowind, the lack of item classes (no chitin, no bonemeld, you get leather/fur, iron, steel, glass, mithril, ebony, and daedric). The storyline feel very short, I've beaten the game in about 3 days, which is sad. The game is kinda laggy to me sometimes, the graphics and mods are ok but nothing really that great. Some of the NPC look ugly, and many other things. Although I do like the combat and how I can now hit without a judge of skill and the combat is faster, however there hardly anything special now.

Now I wonder what issues I will have with skyrim, is it going to be repetitive and boring? is the storyline going to twice as long as oblivion? I hope it's x4 longer then Morrowind and something that can grab my attention, I want more action, a very epic storyline, etc. I also want to have spear's back, Throwing Knifes and Shuriken, Drewmer tech and dungeons, more magic spells and combat more interesting like dodging, disarming the enemy weapon, slam him into the ground or to the wall. However I can't really get my hopes up, as Bethesda might make it turn it shitty and repetitive.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: January 17, 2011, 02:06:21 am »

The Storyline (Morrowind's) of the game is less interesting then oblivion

WHAT!?!
Less interesting. I can see how it may not have been as exciting to some people, but less interesting?
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: January 17, 2011, 02:16:04 am »

So cutscenes are what makes a story interesting, is it? I'd have to strongly disagree with that. Oblivion's story was a cookie-cutter "demons from hell are attacking for no reason, fetch the MacGuffin that will stop them" schlock. And I'm not exaggerating here, that was the whole plot.
Spoiler: Synopsis (click to show/hide)
They even retconned the big bad's dimension to look like hell just to make it more generic. What, barren, mist-shrouded landscape with silhouttes of dead trees rising out of the fog not bleak enough?
Morrowind's story, on the other hand, is merely the climax of a conflict that had been going on for millenia, and the game makes a point of not presenting it in black and white. There are more than just two sides, all of the sides including the player have a history with each other (mainly consisting of betrayals, though who betrayed whom is left intentionally ambiguous with everyone accusing everyone else), and even the big bad is a character in his own right with an actual personality rather than just a mindless monster bent on destruction that has to be made interesting by its sheer size because there's nothing else interesting about it. The consequences of this prolonged conflict are seen and felt throughout Vvardenfell in its society, history, and even its landscape. From a certain point of view, the player can be seen as an unwitting pawn to a goddess (or demoness, again left unclear), who uses him to get back at the 'good guys' for having betrayed her thousands of years earlier. But of course you only piece all of that together if you're actually patient enough to use your brain when playing.

@MFP: Ninja'd. Basically what I said, only using fewer words.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 02:25:17 am by Sordid »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: January 17, 2011, 02:33:36 am »

WHAT!?!
Others, too, have opinions.

"Demons from hell are attacking for no reason, fetch the MacGuffin that will stop them" schlock. And I'm not exaggerating here, that was the whole plot.
I do believe there was a reason for the daedra for invading, and a rather important one at that. The blood of the royal family (and thence Akatosh) no longer held the Imperial throne, and thus they were able to invade for purposes of conquest. I didn't like the MacGuffin either, but at least I can admit that there was a reason for it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: January 17, 2011, 02:40:38 am »

WHAT!?!
Others, too, have opinions.

His post makes me feel that he never finished Morrowind's Campaign. Since he wanted Skyrim to 2x longer than Oblivion, but 4x longer than Morrowind. Who spent more time on Oblivion's main quest than Morrowind's?
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: January 17, 2011, 03:03:06 am »

I think a lot of the Oblivion hate, like Deus Ex 2 hate, boils down to the game being console oriented, whereas its predecessor was PC oriented.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 201