Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 264924 times)

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #540 on: January 15, 2011, 03:37:28 am »

The idea of having a speech skill isn't a bad thing, necessarily, it's just so stupid the way it was in Obvlivion, I would be happy if they kept the skill but replaced it with something like the system in FO3.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 15, 2011, 06:34:20 am »

I rarely bothered with the mini-game, If I needed a higher disposition for something I pulled out my sword, for the -10 to disposition, talked, threw money at them, left convo, put away sword, viola, lots of dispositon, almost always works to get someone to 80 or above, which is what you usually need to open up 'new' things in a quest conversation line.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 15, 2011, 07:01:01 am »

Oh wow, the theme tune sounds so awesome.
Sound stuff and theme tune here. Video 4 is the one with the theme tune.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 15, 2011, 12:53:51 pm »

Wow... that really makes me sad.  I loved the Morrowind Theme, but then the Oblivion theme was just the Morrowind theme minus soul.  Now this one actually sounds like an interesting take even if they're still using the exact same song.  What makes me sad is that I just can't see myself enjoying this game.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 15, 2011, 01:19:14 pm »

Is this just because Oblivion sucked?

I agree with the theme tunes, but I guess the Oblivion theme tune was designed to sound all empirical, Cyrodiil being the birthplace of the Empire.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 15, 2011, 01:24:43 pm »

This may sound strange...

But in Fallout 3, And new vegas you could actually shoot body parts off corpses ((Of course this is assumeing they weren't off before))

Will this be able to be done in skyrim... I would love to butcher the dead.... Better yet will it be possible useing a mage ((My mages are useally fire :P)) You can set corpses ablaze?

I hope so.
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 15, 2011, 01:31:39 pm »

They're using a new engine, so it might even be improved. Or it could be removed altogether or not implemented in TES. Not sure about setting corpses alight.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 15, 2011, 01:44:27 pm »

Wow... that really makes me sad.  I loved the Morrowind Theme, but then the Oblivion theme was just the Morrowind theme minus soul. 
The Oblivion theme was not the Morrowind theme minus soul. It was something else. But it did lack the beauty and soul of Morrowind's theme.
[/post]

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 15, 2011, 02:35:42 pm »

Wow... that really makes me sad.  I loved the Morrowind Theme, but then the Oblivion theme was just the Morrowind theme minus soul. 
The Oblivion theme was not the Morrowind theme minus soul. It was something else. But it did lack the beauty and soul of Morrowind's theme.

Um... What I mean is it was the Morrowind theme made all generic fantasyish.  Not even "empirical" (which BTW does not mean what you think it means Cheese) so much as Baldur's Gatey.  Well Ok, the first part sounds a lot like the Pirates of the Caribbean theme song and the rest sounds like the Baldur's Gate 2 sound track.  Yeah I know sounding like something else isn't necessarily bad, but Oblivion's problem is that pretty much everything it did was a blatant cash in on something else.

Morrowind
[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2E2v-u8Bsc]Oblivion[/url]
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 15, 2011, 02:42:22 pm »

I really don't know why you people all hate Oblivion so much, it was an amazing game with an amazing soundtrack as far as I'm concerned.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 15, 2011, 02:58:19 pm »

I really don't know why you people all hate Oblivion so much, it was an amazing game with an amazing soundtrack as far as I'm concerned.

I don't care one way or the other about soundtracks, but the game itself was just very generic, especially when compared to Morrowind. Generic landscape, generic dungeons, generic people, generic items... They used leveled loot lists which meant there were very few unique items to find, and once you were level 30 or so it was all daedric. You'd even find bandits in daedric armor.

Then there was the whole leveled enemies thing, which was just a horrible idea. Leveling felt pointless and was sometimes even a hindrance because everything leveled with you and if you didn't get everything you could out of a level, you'd be underpowered.

Also, items were tagged as stolen and shopkeepers no longer stored the items they had for sale on-site, they just burst into existence when you bought them. It made playing a thief almost impossible.

Edit: Of course, with about 20 or so mods, this could all be (mostly) fixed and Oblivion could be a decent game.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 03:00:24 pm by Jehdin »

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 15, 2011, 03:03:35 pm »

I was just about to remind you of mods but then I saw your edit. How many other games can you honestly say that you can mod as much as Oblivion? The only ones that I can think of is Morrowind and Fallout 3/New Vegas. Morrowind is an outdated game and FO3 is a different setting and moderately different genre.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 15, 2011, 03:10:39 pm »

I was just about to remind you of mods but then I saw your edit. How many other games can you honestly say that you can mod as much as Oblivion? The only ones that I can think of is Morrowind and Fallout 3/New Vegas. Morrowind is an outdated game and FO3 is a different setting and moderately different genre.
Games that I can mod as much as Oblivion?
 I've easily modded Europa Universalis 3, Victoria 2, Crusader Kings..
Bethesda games aren't really that easy to mod deep down.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 15, 2011, 03:12:29 pm »

This reminded me I need to go back and grab the Morrowind music... I'll add my assent that vanilla Morrowind was a much better game than vanilla Oblivion. Unless of course you're just in it to watch the effects from things being killed horribly and blasted around. Or perhaps setting up dominos/Rube-Goldberg devices with the editor and watching them go.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 15, 2011, 03:14:33 pm »

I was just saying that's why many people hate the vanilla game.

The construction set is, of course, a game-changer. I would certainly play a modded Oblivion over a modded Morrowind now. At release it was a different story, though.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 201