Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 264978 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #525 on: January 14, 2011, 02:46:32 pm »

Paradoxally, enemies taking a million hits to kill even with optimized strength, which kinda makes combat...boring.

But, but... I dun wanna keel those poor thieves clad in rags threatening me with their rusty copper knives!  :( it makes me sad  :(
You mean those poor thieves threatening you with full Daedric plate and claymores?

Or Chief Errand Runner if you're talking about Oblivion. :P
Hey hey, that's Champion Errand Runner.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: January 14, 2011, 03:23:42 pm »

Paradoxally, enemies taking a million hits to kill even with optimized strength, which kinda makes combat...boring.

But, but... I dun wanna keel those poor thieves clad in rags threatening me with their rusty copper knives!  :( it makes me sad  :(
You mean those poor thieves threatening you with full Daedric plate and claymores?

Or Chief Errand Runner if you're talking about Oblivion. :P
Hey hey, that's Champion Errand Runner.
Also known as The Slayer of every citizen of Cyrodiil.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 14, 2011, 03:43:25 pm »

* New Engine – All objects in the game world will now cast shadows, along with improved draw distances. Environments will seem livelier due to sharper and more detailed textures.
    * Locations – Skyrim will contain 5 massive cities to explore, ranging from frozen tundra to rocky mountain tops. Also keep an eye out for some new wildlife roaming the country side, such as sabre-toothed cats and woolly mammoths.
    * Combat – Running away backwards from opponents whilst attacking will no longer be an option as you will move much slower when walking backwards than forwards (which kinda makes sense). You will now be able to use stamina to sprint away from an enemy, either to escape or reach a tactical vantage point. What you do with your hands is also up to you, with the option to dual wield weapons, equip magic to both hands or go at it with a sword and a shield. A customizable menu will be available to easily swop out load-outs during battle and if this isn't enough a “finishing moves” system, which will be unique to both the weapon used and also the enemy the weapon, is also incorporated.
    * Levelling and Skills – No longer will you be forced to pick a class at the start of the game, instead, upon levelling up you will be rewarded points that can either be spent on health, magicka or stamina. Skills will level up the more that they are used, which will in turn contribute to your overall level growth. The amount of skills in Skyrim is down to 18 from the 21 in Oblivion and the 27 in Morrowind, Bethesda claim that they are trying to accommodate people who want to specialize in a certain profession, such as mage or thief. Also, Mysticism has been removed. Going past level 50 will be possible, but things will go very slowly from that point on.
    * Perks – Levelling up will also grant you perks - something that we’ve already seen in Fallout 3. These perks will add special abilities to your character such as increased stealth dagger damage or giving your mace the ability to ignore the opponents armour.
    * AI – Interactions with NPCs will now seem more real as they move about while you talk to them or they keep doing their business if you interrupted them.
    * Quests – Getting missions from NPCs will be more “dynamic”. If you are a heavy magic user a mage might approach you with a quest, something that would not happen if you are playing a fighter character. Some quests will also be influenced by what you have already accomplished, thus the game will try and send you on a rescue quest to a dungeon you have not previously visited.
    * Town Visiting – There will be more to do in towns, such as farming, mining, woodcutting and cooking. A fast-travel option will also be available to allow you to travel instantly between areas you’ve already visited.
    * Menu and HUD – You will have the option for a HUD-less first person view or an “improved” third person option. The game menu is now a compass style overlay with four options for Skill, Inventory, Map, and Magic. You will also be able to mark certain weapons and magic for quick selection.

meh
Also, a bunch of leaked screenshots and stuff.
On the bright side, it looks better, and THI4F looks set for a GDC reveal (what is that) next month.
Is this new information?
It is newold. I'd link the leaked screenshots, only they're leaked so I'm not sure.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: January 14, 2011, 03:47:50 pm »

Is it the stuff from the magazine?

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 14, 2011, 04:33:32 pm »

Is it the stuff from the magazine?

Yes

Link

It is newold. I'd link the leaked screenshots, only they're leaked so I'm not sure.

The thing is, the other information is practically everywhere now and I doubt anyone's going to buy a magazine just for a handful of screenshots.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: January 14, 2011, 04:35:52 pm »

Then again; I don't dig dragons. They're done, and fantasy settings that have the bravado to not incorporate them are exceptional in my book.
>:(

I think the main problem is that nobody uses dragons correctly. They're always the same big scary monster thing.
TES dragons are descendants of the Aedra, and also the avatar of Akatosh, a rather badass time-creating schizophrenic dragon god guy.
...Well, all living things on Nirn are descendants of the Aedra... :P
Dragons are only one generation down. The rest are completely mortal/undivine I think.

Very exciting news, scans of the game informer preview thing have been uploaded.
Vg247 article
Scans

Apparently it's set 200 years after oblivion, wasn't expecting that.
It looks really good, by the looks of it graphics are much better than the Gamebryo ones and the features sound like Bethesda have learned from their mistakes. Could of course be BS.

I posted some stuff earlier too :P.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: January 14, 2011, 04:37:58 pm »

I posted some stuff earlier too :P.

Ah, I didn't read the whole thread, had no idea they were posted already.

Edit: Guess that old link is dead, though.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: January 14, 2011, 04:43:08 pm »

I really don't think the "class" will be Dragonborn. That's seems to be just a title, like "Nerevarine" or what have you.

There's also supposed to be new special abilities called 'Dragon Shouts' or somesuch which can be acquired due to being Dragonborn. It is definitely not a class though.
Thu'um, maybe?
Love, scriver~

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: January 14, 2011, 05:53:16 pm »

I really don't think the "class" will be Dragonborn. That's seems to be just a title, like "Nerevarine" or what have you.

There's also supposed to be new special abilities called 'Dragon Shouts' or somesuch which can be acquired due to being Dragonborn. It is definitely not a class though.
Thu'um, maybe?
Oh God, I forgot about that. If that's possible it'll imbalance the game hugely, though it'll be so damn awesome.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: January 14, 2011, 06:02:13 pm »

Thu'um, maybe?
Oh God, I forgot about that. If that's possible it'll imbalance the game hugely, though it'll be so damn awesome.
It would make sense as a nordic art, and would be effective against dragons. But it might mean the whole 'dialouge not being there anymore' thing might be true, if we get that we won't be able to talk eventuilly without endangering people. Unless they rape the lore again somehow.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #535 on: January 14, 2011, 06:15:43 pm »

What's with every RPG developer theming out their games with Dragons lately?  Seriously: Dragon Age, Guild Wars 2 and new Skyrim?  I love dragons and all, but the sheer amount of "OUR GAME HAS DRAGONS!!!!11!11!! YOU CAN FLY THEM, YOU CAN BE ONE, OMG!!...DID I MENTION OUR GAME HAS DRAGONS!"
I don't see anything wrong with having dragons. Having them as a generic plot device is where it almost always falls apart. Guild Wars 2 and Skyrim both have had dragons in their lore for a long time anyway. On that note, there's not really many games where you can actually BE a dragon (I can think of only one recent one, Divinity II), there's a serious lack of them in my opinion :P

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: January 14, 2011, 06:30:32 pm »

Hell Dragon Age doesn't even have a ton of dragons, nor is the only one you're forced to fight even really a dragon anymore, and in-lore it might not even have been dragon in the first place so much as a god in the form of a dragon.
But then I may not see the 'generic plot device' part, if there is one, becouse the game lets me side with werewolves to kill elves.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: January 14, 2011, 06:37:31 pm »

Thu'um, maybe?
It would make sense as a nordic art, and would be effective against dragons. But it might mean the whole 'dialouge not being there anymore' thing might be true, if we get that we won't be able to talk eventuilly without endangering people. Unless they rape the lore again somehow.
We'll be able to talk to people.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: January 15, 2011, 02:58:14 am »

Yeah that thing I posted about conversations being completely non-interactive was a prediction of the way the series is going.  It's not something that is even rumored to actually be in the game.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was, considering that even if they explicitly say that you can actually talk to other characters (as in your character saying things that amount to more than 'continue the dialogue') they've told outright lies about their games before.

Is there any word on whether the speechcraft skill is still in the game?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

vettkinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 15, 2011, 03:34:57 am »

Is there any word on whether the speechcraft skill is still in the game?

Ah yes, the speech minigame. I kinda miss the rotating circle thingy when trying to befriend people.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 201