Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265034 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #495 on: January 11, 2011, 11:46:41 pm »

sorry, my mistake.

Spiral42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 12, 2011, 03:34:56 am »

He was indeed a dog dragon in the book.
And is clearly derived from the traditional Chinese dragon, which is always wingless, is sapient, considered lucky, and is largely beneficent toward humans. Basically everything the Western dragon is not.
Add me on Steam: ColdSpiral

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 12, 2011, 07:27:08 am »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 12, 2011, 11:07:43 am »

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 13, 2011, 10:20:59 pm »

* New Engine – All objects in the game world will now cast shadows, along with improved draw distances. Environments will seem livelier due to sharper and more detailed textures.
    * Locations – Skyrim will contain 5 massive cities to explore, ranging from frozen tundra to rocky mountain tops. Also keep an eye out for some new wildlife roaming the country side, such as sabre-toothed cats and woolly mammoths.
    * Combat – Running away backwards from opponents whilst attacking will no longer be an option as you will move much slower when walking backwards than forwards (which kinda makes sense). You will now be able to use stamina to sprint away from an enemy, either to escape or reach a tactical vantage point. What you do with your hands is also up to you, with the option to dual wield weapons, equip magic to both hands or go at it with a sword and a shield. A customizable menu will be available to easily swop out load-outs during battle and if this isn't enough a “finishing moves” system, which will be unique to both the weapon used and also the enemy the weapon, is also incorporated.
    * Levelling and Skills – No longer will you be forced to pick a class at the start of the game, instead, upon levelling up you will be rewarded points that can either be spent on health, magicka or stamina. Skills will level up the more that they are used, which will in turn contribute to your overall level growth. The amount of skills in Skyrim is down to 18 from the 21 in Oblivion and the 27 in Morrowind, Bethesda claim that they are trying to accommodate people who want to specialize in a certain profession, such as mage or thief. Also, Mysticism has been removed. Going past level 50 will be possible, but things will go very slowly from that point on.
    * Perks – Levelling up will also grant you perks - something that we’ve already seen in Fallout 3. These perks will add special abilities to your character such as increased stealth dagger damage or giving your mace the ability to ignore the opponents armour.
    * AI – Interactions with NPCs will now seem more real as they move about while you talk to them or they keep doing their business if you interrupted them.
    * Quests – Getting missions from NPCs will be more “dynamic”. If you are a heavy magic user a mage might approach you with a quest, something that would not happen if you are playing a fighter character. Some quests will also be influenced by what you have already accomplished, thus the game will try and send you on a rescue quest to a dungeon you have not previously visited.
    * Town Visiting – There will be more to do in towns, such as farming, mining, woodcutting and cooking. A fast-travel option will also be available to allow you to travel instantly between areas you’ve already visited.
    * Menu and HUD – You will have the option for a HUD-less first person view or an “improved” third person option. The game menu is now a compass style overlay with four options for Skill, Inventory, Map, and Magic. You will also be able to mark certain weapons and magic for quick selection.

meh
Also, a bunch of leaked screenshots and stuff.
On the bright side, it looks better, and THI4F looks set for a GDC reveal (what is that) next month.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 13, 2011, 10:42:12 pm »

Finishing moves?  Diablo-style attribute points?  Radial menus?

DOUBLE FACEHOOF
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 14, 2011, 12:09:59 am »

Hahaha, laughing at the "such as sabre-toothed cats and woolly mammoths." because I just finished reading an article about how in fiction, if any prehistory mammals are brought in, cats are always sabertoothed, mammoths are always wooly, and its the only two you'll every see.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 14, 2011, 12:41:34 am »

I know a lot of people here hate the leveling system oversimplification. I used to love that system, it's quite beautiful and unique. Until I realized it gets in the way of playing.

You had to be Extra Careful not to use skills unless you want to raise the wrong stats, or level up because you raised too many Jumping or Breathing or Going Potty skill points and now everyone is stronger than you. I welcome a change that just lets me choose how to grow my char instead of my actions forcing me. Spamming skills works ok because you have no reason not to raise a skill, however. But the "choose the stat you want to raise and hope you used it a lot otherwise you're wasting a level on +1 peronality"... ugh.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 14, 2011, 03:38:33 am »

All I can say about this new information is this. Gods be damned!
Well here's hopeing they atleast add another assassins guild, I liked the DB in daggerfall, I liked the Morag Tong in morrowwind, and I loved loved loved the DB in oblivion, the best part about oblivion in my mind to be perfectly frank.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 14, 2011, 04:12:45 am »

I know a lot of people here hate the leveling system oversimplification. I used to love that system, it's quite beautiful and unique. Until I realized it gets in the way of playing.

You had to be Extra Careful not to use skills unless you want to raise the wrong stats, or level up because you raised too many Jumping or Breathing or Going Potty skill points and now everyone is stronger than you. I welcome a change that just lets me choose how to grow my char instead of my actions forcing me. Spamming skills works ok because you have no reason not to raise a skill, however. But the "choose the stat you want to raise and hope you used it a lot otherwise you're wasting a level on +1 peronality"... ugh.
That's exactly the same as how I feel and felt.  I remember I used to think it was so neat, just doing whatever and watching the skills go up, with the occasional bit of distributing stats when you leveled up.  Then I got to be level 17 after like eight or less hours, since I chose all my major skills to be things I was using like crazy, I wondered why the hell it was taking me like thirty freaking hits to kill a damn skeleton (With journeyman marksman and a glass bow, with occasional powerful magic mixed in), then I found out it was because I was totally overleveled...

On the other side of the coin if you're willing to choose as skills things that you pretty much never use for main skills(For example, Heavy Armor if you're going to use Light Armor, Blunt Weapons if you don't like them, etc.) then in exchange for a bit of difficulty towards the beginning you can become stupidly powerful if your minor skills go up to expert while you're still in the first ten levels since your majors skills are still apprentice.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 04:25:17 am by Kitsunin »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 14, 2011, 04:47:21 am »

If you can mark all the strength skills as Major skills (which seems like a reasonable way to say "I am big and strong!") and usually come out with a lot less strength than your average mage...something is very wrong.  But that was Oblivion (and Morrowind and...).  Hopefully this new one should be very very different, since your stats don't depend on your skills any more.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #506 on: January 14, 2011, 07:04:51 am »

Personally I think the stats-from-skills system is fine (or at least the overall idea behind it), but how it ties into the leveling system is just wrong. You really shouldn't level from skillups. If anything, stats should be determined directly from your skills. Levels don't even need to exist. Just set your health to be based directly from Endurance (I think that's what it was called) or whatever, and you're good. With that, you get a smooth leveling curve for stats and skills, with no need of random jumps in power from leveling (and a convenient max level that doesn't let you be a warrior-ranger-mage). Just make major skills determine the maximum level of skills. I'm kind of wondering how this would turn out though.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 14, 2011, 07:15:25 am »

Personally I think the stats-from-skills system is fine (or at least the overall idea behind it), but how it ties into the leveling system is just wrong. You really shouldn't level from skillups. If anything, stats should be determined directly from your skills. Levels don't even need to exist. Just set your health to be based directly from Endurance (I think that's what it was called) or whatever, and you're good. With that, you get a smooth leveling curve for stats and skills, with no need of random jumps in power from leveling (and a convenient max level that doesn't let you be a warrior-ranger-mage). Just make major skills determine the maximum level of skills. I'm kind of wondering how this would turn out though.

This is very similar to GCD/nGCD for Morrowind/Oblivion, which were an extreme improvement on the vanilla system (although the latter was terribly flawed due to some design oversights).

There's no need to cap attributes/skills based on which skills are chosen - just apply a global slowdown to skill advancement based on total skill gains. That way, becoming perfect at everything is extremely impractical, but the player still has some space to branch out without being limited to the skills they picked.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #508 on: January 14, 2011, 07:22:07 am »

This is very similar to GCD/nGCD for Morrowind/Oblivion, which were an extreme improvement on the vanilla system (although the latter was terribly flawed due to some design oversights).

There's no need to cap attributes/skills based on which skills are chosen - just apply a global slowdown to skill advancement based on total skill gains. That way, becoming perfect at everything is extremely impractical, but the player still has some space to branch out without being limited to the skills they picked.
Yeah, a soft cap would be nice instead of a hard cap, but it's kind of silly to think about a warrior-mage-ranger going and sneaking around perfectly using a magic spell wearing full plate armor :P

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 14, 2011, 07:27:00 am »

I think you've chosen a bad example. If people can sneak perfectly in full armour, there's something wrong with the relationship between sneaking and armour, not the character advancement system.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 201