Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265121 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #465 on: January 11, 2011, 04:04:53 am »

There are five full-sized cities.

Wonderful. Oblivion had nine (and that's including Kvatch). They just cut that in half.

Not necessarily a bad thing. The 'cities' in Oblivion were more like small towns or big villages. Depending on what exactly 'full sized city' means in this context, there might actually be more stuff overall than in Oblivion. I'm not expecting the sprawling cityscapes of Daggerfall with their hundreds of houses and thousands of NPCs to make a repeat appearance, but I'm keeping my mind open about this one. And fewer cities = more wilderness to explore. I like the idea of the grim northern wilderness with civilization only sparsely dotting the ragged landscape.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 04:07:49 am by Sordid »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 11, 2011, 04:08:16 am »

just to test, I actually tried putting this city into oblivion:

http://www.zemeplocha.info/articles/am-map/am-map.jpg (warning, big)

it was half the size of tamriel.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 11, 2011, 04:44:03 am »

just to test, I actually tried putting this city into oblivion:

http://www.zemeplocha.info/articles/am-map/am-map.jpg (warning, big)

it was half the size of tamriel.
What the hell is that, anyway? Why is there latin intermixed with polish?
Anyway, I think the issue, especially with skyrim, is not how huge the cities are, but how large the wilderness seems. I don't imagine skyrim is full of giant cities, though I could be wrong.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 11, 2011, 04:52:18 am »

that's a map of the city of Ankh Morpork, the most populated city in the Discworld.
and it's actually polish mixed with dog-latin, which the diskworld books are full of. I just didn't feel like searching for an english map.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 11, 2011, 10:38:17 am »

The coats of arms have the "latatian" Mottos on top and the name of the organization on the bottom. Everything else is just polish.

For an even bigger, english version, here :)

http://img841.ph.126.net/1pBNfRRNokFtCIho5nLWmA==/801077783719271853.jpg

For reference, A-M is about 1 mile in diameter and has about 1 million population.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 11, 2011, 10:50:59 am »

and it's actually polish

Actually it's Czech. >:(

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 11, 2011, 11:02:33 am »

whichever. my point was that it wasn't real latin.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 11, 2011, 11:52:13 am »

There are five full-sized cities.

Wonderful. Oblivion had nine (and that's including Kvatch). They just cut that in half.

Not necessarily a bad thing. The 'cities' in Oblivion were more like small towns or big villages. Depending on what exactly 'full sized city' means in this context, there might actually be more stuff overall than in Oblivion. I'm not expecting the sprawling cityscapes of Daggerfall with their hundreds of houses and thousands of NPCs to make a repeat appearance, but I'm keeping my mind open about this one. And fewer cities = more wilderness to explore. I like the idea of the grim northern wilderness with civilization only sparsely dotting the ragged landscape.
It could also be that there are lots of small villages and hamlets dotted about, like in Daggerfall but smaller and a bit less of them.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 11, 2011, 12:46:40 pm »

Yah, it is dotted with smaller towns and villages as well.

Hopefully scale is one of the things they fix the most, one can hope. Of course not being on Xbox would help a lot, sadly that won't happen.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 11, 2011, 12:50:47 pm »

Developers have taken stuff out of games for console ports before. I know they'll probably look at all the console noobs and think £££ though  >:(.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 11, 2011, 01:00:40 pm »

Developers have taken stuff out of games for console ports before. I know they'll probably look at all the console noobs and think £££ though  >:(.
I meant more along the lines of sheer storage capacity. You can't really split an Elder Scrolls game across multiple disks like you can say, a linear Final Fantasy. So the world size is limited sharply by the fact that they have to fit it onto a single DVD-9, whereas both PC and PS3 will not have that same problem.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 11, 2011, 01:18:37 pm »

Ah...

I'd like it if the fast travel system was made like Daggerfall's again, where you have to select to camp out or stay in inns and choose what method of travel you use, it'd make it feel better than just click and appear there in a real life instant.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 11, 2011, 02:15:39 pm »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 11, 2011, 03:03:38 pm »

Ah...

I'd like it if the fast travel system was made like Daggerfall's again, where you have to select to camp out or stay in inns and choose what method of travel you use, it'd make it feel better than just click and appear there in a real life instant.

In Daggerfall you also just appeared there in an instant, the only difference was how much in-game time passed and whether or not there was a random encounter possibility. Personally I'd prefer Morrowind's fast travel system, so that when you want to travel by ship you have to actually go to the docks and speak with the captain.
Yeah, fat chance of that.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 11, 2011, 03:55:12 pm »

The coats of arms have the "latatian" Mottos on top and the name of the organization on the bottom. Everything else is just polish.

For an even bigger, english version, here :)

http://img841.ph.126.net/1pBNfRRNokFtCIho5nLWmA==/801077783719271853.jpg

For reference, A-M is about 1 mile in diameter and has about 1 million population.
That's not bigger, either. It's much smaller and in japanese. Actually, it doesn't resemble the other one at all.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 201