Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265002 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #375 on: January 08, 2011, 12:58:16 pm »

Shadowrun uses dragons correctly.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 08, 2011, 03:33:35 pm »

Then again; I don't dig dragons. They're done, and fantasy settings that have the bravado to not incorporate them are exceptional in my book.
>:(

I think the main problem is that nobody uses dragons correctly. They're always the same big scary monster thing.
TES dragons are descendants of the Aedra, and also the avatar of Akatosh, a rather badass time-creating schizophrenic dragon god guy.
...Well, all living things on Nirn are descendants of the Aedra... :P
Dragons are only one generation down. The rest are completely mortal/undivine I think.

Very exciting news, scans of the game informer preview thing have been uploaded.
Vg247 article
Scans

Apparently it's set 200 years after oblivion, wasn't expecting that.
It looks really good, by the looks of it graphics are much better than the Gamebryo ones and the features sound like Bethesda have learned from their mistakes. Could of course be BS.

You are actually the Dragonborn.

E: Oh crap. I've just realised they've dumbed it down even more. Only 3 stats are mentioned. If these are the only stats, I'ma be pissed.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:47:00 pm by Cheese »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 08, 2011, 04:02:00 pm »

Some skills have been cut, one of which is mysticism.
Good. There are too many schools of magic.

Creatures who may get in the way of your sword include: yetis, large spiders, and of course, the prerequisite dragons.
Boring, boring, potentially awesome. God I hope they do dragon fights in a similar way to Shadow of the Colossus.
Yeah, I know, fat chance. But I can dream.

the emphasis by the dev team this time around was improving combat and the feel of weaponry in your hands.
I so hope that means "weapons do damage if they come into contact with enemy" rather than the current "weapons do damage if crosshair is aimed at enemy".

If you drop a sword in the street, it may just dissapear, someone could find it and give it back to you, or it will cause a series of actions to happen where a couple people fight over who gets to keep the found sword.
Bah, that's nothing new. Oblivion has that feature too. Like if two NPCs want to use a broom and there's only one in the area, they'll fight to the death for it. *yawn* Next!

more variation in caves and underground stuff.
Well obviously. Would be pretty difficult to have less variation, given that in Oblivion the dungeons consisted of the same room copypasted over and over and connected by the same stretch of corridor.

there is an option for no HUD.
Oh good, hudless games are so much more immersive. Trespasser was crap through and through but I still enjoyed it. Wouldn't have with a hud.

On Conversations: Conversations aren’t done in a zoomed in static shot anymore.Start a conversation with some and they will act like someone would in real life, looking at you occasionally and walking around a bit and also continue doing a task if they were doing one while talking.
So it's going to feel even more awkward? Oh golly.

Dual-wielding: you have two hands now in combat and you can wield anything to both hands. You may assign a dagger on left hand and use a mace with right hand. The choice as they say is yours.
Sounds cool, but how exactly am I going to control that? Say I fight with two swords. Do I have extra controls for attacking and blocking with the left hand and extra controls for attacking and blocking with the right hand? I don't have that many buttons on my mouse. I'm guessing they're designing this primarily for consoles and the attack and block functions will be assigned to the two pairs of left and right shoulder triggers on the gamepad. I just hope they come up with an intelligent way to control it on the PC as well.

Duel: You may duel any NPC on the streets western style.
Say what? The guards won't object to that? And does that mean there are going to be guns? Flintlocks might be kinda cool. It's 200 years later, so heck, why not.

Level-scaling: It is coming back
FUCK YOU, BETHSOFT

“Radiant storytelling” or Level Scaling 2.0: “The game eventually logs a huge storehouse of knowledge about how you’ve played, and subsequently tailors content to your capabilities and experiences. Entering a city, a young woman might approach you and beg you to save her daughter from kidnappers. The game will look at the nearby dungeons you’ve explored, automatically set the mission in a place you’ve never visited, and designate opponents that are appropriately matched to your strengths and weaknesses.”
That's interesting. To me that says generated quests are coming back, which could be cool, as long as this kind of thing is kept only in this area and story-related quests are completely static, including kinds and levels of enemies.

Fast-Travel: As you probably expect, you can instantly travel to previous locations with a tap of the button
Boooo-riiiing.

Dynamic Shadows
How's that new? Didn't they make a big deal out of having soft dynamic shadows in the Oblivion previews?

Updated Engine Snow falls dynamically (not as a basic texture on the ground)
Trees and branches move independently with the wind
Water flows
Translation: Your computer can't handle it.

very unique landscapes! Also unique dungeons! In other words, lots of uniqueness!
Hopefully that means Bethsoft is going to return to the Morrowind method of building everything by hand rather than letting a computer generate it. Because that makes everything look the same. And like crap.

Kids
Killable?

Dialog will pop up when you approach an enemy
Whaaaat.
When I approach an enemy, the only thing I want to pop up are his guts.

cooking/farming/mining/woodcutting/blacksmithing
Because I totally play an epic fantasy game in which I'm the offspring of a dragon so that I can till some fields. Hell yes.

Game’s out on November 11.
Yeah, right.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 08, 2011, 04:21:28 pm »

Because I totally play an epic fantasy game in which I'm the offspring of a dragon so that I can till some fields. Hell yes.

I totally do want this. I already play with mods for this stuff and if beth can do a good of it I'm all for it.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 08, 2011, 04:25:52 pm »

Yes, do want.

They likely will make the release date after the big announcements. Keep in mind that Bethesda aren't Valve or EA, at least they weren't before Oblivion.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 08, 2011, 04:25:57 pm »

Wow, awesome, I'm looking forward to it even more now. Did you see the screenshots in the scans?
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 08, 2011, 04:30:39 pm »

Wow, awesome, I'm looking forward to it even more now. Did you see the screenshots in the scans?
Yes, the dragons look awesome 8)

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 08, 2011, 04:42:00 pm »

Sounds good. I don't like the return of level-scaling, though, nor do I like the idea of random-quests much.
[/post]

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 08, 2011, 04:58:20 pm »

Actually they look totally generic and just like any other dragons in any other fantasy world. Granted, it's kinda difficult to do something new with dragons while still keeping them dragons, but I think the "thin, long, and snakelike" approach we've seen in Morrowind was way cooler:

http://www.kehlet.cx/images/morrowind/ScreenShot%2042.jpg

I really liked Morrowind's unique enemies, too. Pretty much the only stock ones were rats and skeletons. Even something as mundane as zombies and liches was made cool and fresh by slightly changing the appearance and giving them a different name. Zombies had metal bits sticking out of them like Frankenstein monsters and liches had floating skulls and four arms. The dragons... just look like ordinary, slain-you-a-million-times dragons. They at least have only four limbs (making them technically wyverns rather than dragons). That's something. Words cannot describe how much I hate six-limbed dragons.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 05:16:51 pm by Sordid »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 08, 2011, 05:25:29 pm »

I totally do want this. I already play with mods for this stuff and if beth can do a good of it I'm all for it.
Farming = Open container, place object, wait. Open container later, get stuff.

All of this is terribly vague, and we know there is a lot of room to be crap about it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #385 on: January 08, 2011, 05:52:51 pm »

Actually they look totally generic and just like any other dragons in any other fantasy world. Granted, it's kinda difficult to do something new with dragons while still keeping them dragons, but I think the "thin, long, and snakelike" approach we've seen in Morrowind was way cooler:

http://www.kehlet.cx/images/morrowind/ScreenShot%2042.jpg

I really liked Morrowind's unique enemies, too. Pretty much the only stock ones were rats and skeletons. Even something as mundane as zombies and liches was made cool and fresh by slightly changing the appearance and giving them a different name. Zombies had metal bits sticking out of them like Frankenstein monsters and liches had floating skulls and four arms. The dragons... just look like ordinary, slain-you-a-million-times dragons. They at least have only four limbs (making them technically wyverns rather than dragons). That's something. Words cannot describe how much I hate six-limbed dragons.
Wait, what do you have against six-limbed dragons?

It looks like this is going the way of generic dragonslayer-adventurer-man though. Dragon shows up, wants to destroy X thing, you're sent off on a quest to kill it.

Also, one of those scans shows skills, and alteration is still in along with the rest of the magic skills from Oblivion (destruction, illusion, conjuration, alchemy, and restoration). And a new "enchanting" skill it looks like. The one on the far right is hard to see, but it looks like it begins with "staf".

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 08, 2011, 06:32:14 pm »

Really looking forward to this game. Just bummed that I doubt I will be able to run it on my laptop, and my Xbox just RROD'd and I threw it away.

Bummer.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 08, 2011, 08:07:10 pm »

Farming = Open container, place object, wait. Open container later, get stuff.

All of this is terribly vague, and we know there is a lot of room to be crap about it.
I think it's more likely they're just giving the PC access to the corresponding animations (rather than making the player mod it in later). Because we all know that stuff's what roleplaying is all about. ::)
Love, scriver~

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 08, 2011, 08:13:05 pm »

...my Xbox just RROD'd and I threw it away.
You can fix those you know.  ::)

Now, my thoughts on what's been revealed...
18 skills: supposedly even less skills to play with?
Blah, needs new ones! Merging skills is okay sometimes but I think some of the stuff should be kept. Also, from the look of it there's no longer attributes (Strength Dex, ETC) which is really lame. In fact it gives me a very DnD 4.0 vibe. I think that it might be like morality with Oblivion- it's easy to level up in everything and be just as good as someone who tried to keep their character focused; and in theory every maxed-out character is the same (or least high level characters will be similar).

Radiant storytelling
They have balls still calling things they do "radiant". Anyway I'd appreciate quest generation- and that being based off your character means that they can designate a quest to, for example, guaranteedly put you up against you greatest weakness. A concept which I like much more than filling enemies up with health and damage.

Fast-Travel: As you probably expect, you can instantly travel to previous locations with a tap of the button
Lame. I'd much prefer a Morrowind style setup where there's some teleport spells like recall and most things travel between fixed points; so some areas can always be hard to get to. I hope they at least only let you go places you've already been.

Also, flying dragons... I hope you'll be able to fly in Skyrim. Oblivions non-open-ness really hurt the 'go-anywhere' feel. The article assumes there are open cities since dragons will attack but that's not really necessary to implement it; it's possible to escape cities in Oblivion (they just lead to an ugly heightmap).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 08, 2011, 08:27:40 pm »

...my Xbox just RROD'd and I threw it away.
You can fix those you know.  ::)
Im not terribly fond of having to open my Xbox and mess with the heatsinks, and my warrenty is up. I have one of those really old xbox 360 models.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 201