Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265258 times)

The Worst Gamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #285 on: December 15, 2010, 01:20:36 pm »

Not necessarily. Scandinavia isn't snowy in summer, so it's likely that Skyrim isn't either. And I don't know if Tamriel is far north enough for glaciers. Also, Daggerfall was set in high rock and snow was only seen in the winter season, if I recall correctly. High rock is on the same latitude as Skyrim, so it may be colder, but will probably not be a barren arctic desert.

I'd love it if they did a dynamic snow generation every time the game went into winter. That'd be absolutely amazing.

But, I doubt they will. And it will, almost certainly, be a typical snow place. Even Bruma (I think) was covered in snow all year long, and that was in Cyrodiil.

Remember man, patchwork fantasy maps. Also the fact that Bethesda aren't well known to stick to established canon and you have a typical snowy place.

Also, it'll be like Solstheim.
"He's just plain bad."

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 15, 2010, 01:21:07 pm »

I thought it was generally accepted that it sunk because the redguards cut the atomos with their swords(splitting atoms)
And by doing so, they destroyed their Tower. Whether it was the atomos-cutting or the Tower-raising that caused the destruction is up for debate and preference. Personally, I am of the opinion that "cutting the atomos" is used as meaning "doing the impossible" rather than referring to nuclear destruction, so I interpret the event according to that. After all, what it actually means is deliberately left unclear.

I dunno, Vivec backed down when he thought Cyrus knew Pankratosword.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: If they stick to previous lore(Haha Cyrodiil is a rain forest), the northern and western parts of skyrim should be fairly temperate.  Only the south and east are mountainous.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:24:02 pm by Cecilff2 »
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

The Worst Gamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 15, 2010, 01:24:11 pm »

To me, "cutting the atomos" means "breaking the unbreakable" or "dividing the indivisble", not so much "NEWCLEAH BOOOOMBS".
"He's just plain bad."

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 15, 2010, 01:38:21 pm »

To me, "cutting the atomos" means "breaking the unbreakable" or "dividing the indivisble", not so much "NEWCLEAH BOOOOMBS".

Every single report of it mentions that it causes great destruction.  It doesn't matter if it is or isn't splitting an atom, the result is pretty much the same.  Hence why it's method was completely stricken from record after Yokuda was destroyed.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 15, 2010, 01:39:48 pm »

I thought it was generally accepted that it sunk because the redguards cut the atomos with their swords(splitting atoms)
And by doing so, they destroyed their Tower. Whether it was the atomos-cutting or the Tower-raising that caused the destruction is up for debate and preference. Personally, I am of the opinion that "cutting the atomos" is used as meaning "doing the impossible" rather than referring to nuclear destruction, so I interpret the event according to that. After all, what it actually means is deliberately left unclear.

I dunno, Vivec backed down when he thought Cyrus knew Pankratosword.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Because it is one hell of a move, and is devastating. I'm not saying it isn't, so I'm not sure what your point is.
Love, scriver~

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 15, 2010, 01:45:27 pm »

However, I've read that the pankratosword can cause a 120 megaton explosion. What/if canon supports this, I have no idea.

The Worst Gamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 15, 2010, 01:48:47 pm »

The Barons of Move Like This sound like a great jazz group, though.
"He's just plain bad."

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #292 on: December 15, 2010, 01:50:48 pm »

The Barons of Move Like This sound like a great jazz group, though.
Or an odd cover of a Dire Straights song.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 15, 2010, 03:37:37 pm »

Anyhow Plotholes in Oblivion is nothing new

I once created an ENTIRE thread where we did nothing but talk about Plotholes

The most plothole inducing quest: Weatherleash

I hope Skyrim has just as many plotholes!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 15, 2010, 04:04:27 pm »

Wow.  That whole sequence just reminds me of the Chaos Dunk from Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 15, 2010, 06:12:23 pm »

Hmm noone has Morrowind mods to suggest?

The Worst Gamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 15, 2010, 06:15:39 pm »

Anyhow Plotholes in Oblivion is nothing new

I once created an ENTIRE thread where we did nothing but talk about Plotholes

The most plothole inducing quest: Weatherleash

I hope Skyrim has just as many plotholes!

Huh, what's the plotholes there?
"He's just plain bad."

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 15, 2010, 06:19:08 pm »

Has no one mentioned the entire city that got cut from the game and replaced by a tiny, quest-specific ruined outpost? 
[/post]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 15, 2010, 06:19:30 pm »

Well if you look closely there is NO possible way the Ogre could have ever entered their house or put that one person in the oven.

Of course it is only a plothole if you assume of course that the ogres were the ones who did it and it wasn't the two guys remembering the event incorrectly (In fact originally I didn't even say it was a plothole in the original topic. I said that obviously the father went insane and murdered the mother blaming it on ogres)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 29, 2010, 03:39:42 am »

I think the best part about Morrowind was the political and moral ambiguity.  In Oblivion its rah rah save the Empire.  I play Dunmer and Khajiit and I rp--so why would I want to save the emperor--am I a self-hating Khajiit or Dunmer?  Do I like my white-skinned imperial overlords with their imposed gods (which by the way was another b.s. innovation--true religion--I was initially charmed by Morrowinds mix of interesting local faith (but false, if appealing gods) and dull humdrum imperial catholicism (with near-absent gods unless you really rise in their silly herb gathering, fortress-hiding hierarchy). Morrowind starts you up and running--of course you are the Prophesied one!--don't you believe Mr. Cassius, the imperial spymaster?  Surely he has no ulterior motive for manipulating local beliefs into instilling an imperial puppet in place of a prophet! (showed him right when I slaughtered the last imperial in Morrowind with my Daedric Crescent). Try doing that in Oblivion.

Oh and as far as amazing Morrowind mods go: best there is (beats  Oblivion's interactive npc anyday): Antares' Big Mod (http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=5892)
 Features include:
Hirelings
1. mark targets for theft or assassination and hire a local to do it---true to canon enough that if you mark a Great House member, Morag Tong will refuse you, even under the table, but freelance assassins will still take you up (esp. great for second thieves' guild quest in Balmora when you have to pick pocket that guy with (at that point in the game) fairly-low sneak).

2. Employ the many scouts chilling around taverns to take you to local areas--tombs, caves etc--perfect short cut for tracking through wilderness at a reasonable price!

3.  Employ the many agents to get you info, and help you join guilds including Morag Tong (the agent tells you to pick up the appropriate book and check Vivec's arena)--perfect for rprs who want to join the assassins, but feel weird just walking into the "secret" base.

Master rewards--available for every guild, but as a highlight---Temple patriarch can mark people as heretics and have them burnt at the stake (no joke), drop a scroll in an area to spawn a party of ordinators in 24 hours, and get almost any temple member to follow him/her.

there is other stuff too, but I love the Antares big mod more than I do most games :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 03:55:55 am by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 201