Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265395 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #225 on: December 14, 2010, 09:16:23 am »

I could never get the poisoned apple thing to work. Maybe I was just too impatient (I solved the problem by stabbing them instead). The Brotherhood questline was still the best of them, though.
The best way is to reverse-pickpocket them(pickpocket them, but put in their pocket) the apple, and steal every other food source in the area. Then wait until they eat(which can take awhile). Stabbing is a lot easier, but sometimes it's more fun to play with your victims(which goes quite well for being in the Dark Brotherhood). The Whodunnit? quest is particularly hilarious in this regard.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 14, 2010, 12:46:46 pm »

What they SHOULD do with this IMO:

Morrowind gameplay
Oblivion (or better) graphics
A nice, easier to use construction set (but still able to do a ton of things that the Oblivion could)
Ask modders for help (It should come with OBMM installed)
Craftybits level of crafting (My favourite mod :D)
NOT A BORING STORYLINE THAT IS SO FUCKING SIMPLE!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 14, 2010, 12:47:38 pm »

I could never get the poisoned apple thing to work. Maybe I was just too impatient (I solved the problem by stabbing them instead). The Brotherhood questline was still the best of them, though.
The best way is to reverse-pickpocket them(pickpocket them, but put in their pocket) the apple, and steal every other food source in the area. Then wait until they eat(which can take awhile). Stabbing is a lot easier, but sometimes it's more fun to play with your victims(which goes quite well for being in the Dark Brotherhood). The Whodunnit? quest is particularly hilarious in this regard.

You'd think someone would be suspicious of food they just found in their own pocket.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 14, 2010, 12:50:09 pm »

It's kind of sad, because despite its technical flaws I found Morrowind to be one of my favorite games, and incredibly atmospheric with very rich atmosphere and world-building. I haven't played Oblivion yet and (from what I know of it) don't really plan on it, and I don't have very high hopes for other games in the series either, or in their ability to be technically competent at implementing a game engine (or the game using it). On the other hand, I don't know how much I blame them for their decisions I don't like, because the nature of the industry now is that games take a lot more money to produce, meaning things need to be extremely "accessible" in order to be profitable.

Oblivion is worth purchasing for the Nehrim mod alone... That mod is... Wow...
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 14, 2010, 01:05:48 pm »

How come people are saying the storyline is so simple? What's simple about it?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 14, 2010, 01:14:39 pm »

The story starts off well enough, with you heading out knowing only the next step and seeing events unfold. Then the plot hits the largest part of itself, the fetch quest. I wouldn't have an issue if it wasn't so straightforward what you are supposed to do for so long, and that something is just a fetch quest. Sure you enter some interesting locations, but it didn't feel like a grand journey to save the world. Granted Morrowind had no urgency either, but you sort of felt like you were overcoming challenges and becoming the guy you were prophesied to be.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 14, 2010, 01:21:21 pm »

What they SHOULD do with this IMO:

Morrowind gameplay
Oblivion (or better) graphics
A nice, easier to use construction set (but still able to do a ton of things that the Oblivion could)
Ask modders for help (It should come with OBMM installed)
Craftybits level of crafting (My favourite mod :D)
NOT A BORING STORYLINE THAT IS SO FUCKING SIMPLE!

Graphics and moddability are inversely proportional to each other, or so it seems. ME2 for example couldn't be modded because it would be too elaborate of a process to open tools, and modders wouldn't have the patience anyways; each cinematic/dialogue scene took hundreds of hours IIRC.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 14, 2010, 01:58:53 pm »

You'd think someone would be suspicious of food they just found in their own pocket.
You'd think.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 14, 2010, 02:04:20 pm »

In Oblivion?

To me, it felt like I was on rails.  The emperor guy shows up in your prison cell and you've got no choice but to follow them out...  And then he dies and trusts you with his amulet...  And you're told to go see the priest guy right off the bat...  And you're almost instantly on the path to saving the world.  There's no real build-up...  No wandering around before you find your destiny...  Nothing like that.  You roll up a new character and Hi there, want to save the world?

After that, there wasn't anything really interesting going on.  The plot was very straight-forward.  No mystery or anything like that.  No fumbling around to find your own way.  You just kept going back and talking to Martin/Geoffry/whoever and getting the next step in your quest.  That, plus the fast-travel to locations you've already visited; and the magic compass that pointed you in the right direction; and it really felt like I couldn't go wrong.  Like I was being guided very carefully down a very linear path.

Then there's the fact that a good chunk of the main storyline was just a bunch of gopher quests.  Go pick this up.  Go find that thing.  Go talk to this guy.  Precious few epic battles or feats of daring-do.

And, through it all, there was absolutely no sense of urgency.  I'm not a big fan of being timed...  Or not being able to do side-quests because the world will explode if you delay...  But there's got to be some kind of balance.  We're being told to hurry up, there's Oblivion portals opening everywhere, the world is falling apart, we need to get a Septim on the throne ASAP...  And yet you can spend literally months of in-game time just picking flowers.  You can completely and totally ignore the main storyline basically forever, and nothing bad ever happens.  Nor is there any real reason to complete the main storyline...  The ultimate reward is simply a suit of very mediocre armor.

Basically, absolutely everything else in the game is more engaging than the main storyline.  If it weren't for the rails guiding you straight along the main storyline, your average player would probably wander off and never even notice that there was a main storyline.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 14, 2010, 02:17:32 pm »

Compare Daggerfall's and Morrowind's to Oblivion's and Arena's.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 14, 2010, 02:38:50 pm »

If we're on the subject of poisoned apples, here's a fun thing to do if your copy of Oblivion still has the duplication glitch.  Go to the tavern in the Imperial City, I can't remember what it's called.  Steal everything that's food while no one's looking (or while it's closed) and then use the duplication glitch to fill the room with poisoned apples.  Wait until later in the evening when a bunch of people come by for a drink, and watch the carnage.
Shoes...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 14, 2010, 02:47:31 pm »

To me, the big Bruma battle was a serious letdown. Even if you get all the other cities(except the Imperial City, since Ocato is a complete tightass) to help, it still feels small. And the story behind the battle doesn't make sense. The Emperor-apparent is going to fight endless hordes of Daedra, but they've only got a small city militia and a couple of his bodyguards to do it with? And Ocato's reason for not sending the Imperial Legion, the army whose highest duty is to protect the Emperor, is because they're busy protecting the other provinces. Cyrodil is the center of the Empire, the seat of its power. Screw the other provinces, without the central authority, the Empire would crumble. Of course, you've got to convince the other cities to send over their own militias, the people maintaining some semblance of law and order. Even Kvatch, which doesn't make sense since there really shouldn't be anyone left able to fight.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 14, 2010, 02:53:58 pm »

I have to agree. That was no battle. That was a small fight.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 14, 2010, 02:55:11 pm »

In Oblivion?

To me, it felt like I was on rails.  The emperor guy shows up in your prison cell and you've got no choice but to follow them out...  And then he dies and trusts you with his amulet...  And you're told to go see the priest guy right off the bat...  And you're almost instantly on the path to saving the world.  There's no real build-up...  No wandering around before you find your destiny...  Nothing like that.  You roll up a new character and Hi there, want to save the world?

What I like about Morrowind is that, even though you're the PROPHECIED HERO and all that, it legitimately feels like the in-game organizations and characters handle it realistically, and you still start off as some random prisoner set free and forced to fill out census forms who has no idea what anybody wants with him. Even when the prophecy gets going, it's entirely justifiable to interpret it as the sort of "prophecy" that only comes true because someone makes it come true (to me it comes off as a massive scheme with Azura orchestrating it all). Basically, the game's story and characters have good interplay between the mundane elements (how people and cultures and organizations actually act) and the fantastical elements, as opposed to the generic "SAVE THE WORLD FOR OUR GLORIOUS KING" trash we normally have to put up with.

Cyrodil is the center of the Empire, the seat of its power. Screw the other provinces, without the central authority, the Empire would crumble. Of course, you've got to convince the other cities to send over their own militias, the people maintaining some semblance of law and order. Even Kvatch, which doesn't make sense since there really shouldn't be anyone left able to fight.

To be fair, didn't Rome sort of do that? I mean in the sense of stretching their armies thin over the empire trying to keep order, to the point where they were unable to properly defend their home.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 14, 2010, 03:43:20 pm »

My question may have come out wrong and I may have misconceived the complaints but it caused a conversation I guess. I agree the actual quests sucked.

Wasn't it said that the Nerevaine went to Akavir or something in Oblivion?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 04:33:28 pm by Cheese »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 201