Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265425 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #195 on: December 13, 2010, 10:26:40 pm »

What?  What problems could it solve?

I want a broom, he has a broom... Lets kill him and take the broom!

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 13, 2010, 10:29:56 pm »

Yeah, Radiant AI was a disappointment, but at least they tried, and it was better than watching Huleeya cursed to wander the gates of Balmora for all eternity.

Tried what exactly?  Orchestrating an elaborate hoax at our expense?  Their main example of their system in action was a complete fabrication.  They didn't try anything but to trick us.

They tried to create an AI that could simulate people with decent degree of accuracy. The trailer being deceptive has nothing to do with this.

The problem with the radiant AI is that it couldn't really simulate real people.

Sure it could problem solve but not within the constructs a person would.

What?  What problems could it solve?

Stuff like "I have no food" (solution=steal it, get caught, and get killed), or "I have no weapon" (solution=pick one up from the ground/a corpse).
[/post]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 13, 2010, 10:31:55 pm »

get caught

With those psychic guards I don't blame them

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2010, 10:33:40 pm »

I suspect the concequence of having tons of npcs going around commiting crimes, getting killed, causing problems in general and basically depopulating towns... may of been more the reason why its very toned down from the tech demos they showed in the begining. Likely they had conflict over having dynamic towns they couldn't predict and static towns that were predictable and fit the story/vision better.

God, does anyone still remember the spore demo where you could drag bloody corpses around? I was really looking forward to that until i saw the "E for everyone" sticker.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 10:35:12 pm by Rift »

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2010, 10:54:42 pm »

God, does anyone still remember the spore demo where you could drag bloody corpses around? I was really looking forward to that until i saw the "E for everyone" sticker.

Where does one find that? I was under the impression that the only demo was the creator.
[/post]

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 13, 2010, 10:56:02 pm »

By 'demo' he meant 'demonstration.' I believe it was an E3 demonstration, which included the aquatic life stage, a 3d version of the cell stage, basically.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 13, 2010, 10:56:36 pm »

Stuff like "I have no food" (solution=steal it, get caught, and get killed), or "I have no weapon" (solution=pick one up from the ground/a corpse).

NONE OF THAT STUFF HAPPENED IN GAME. I've played over 100 hours of Oblivion, and it's _all_ scripted. They promised the framework for a world that acts and behaves on its own, provides dynamic solutions to quests...

None. Of. That. Existed. In. The. Game.

Perhaps the only decent example of what they tried to do is the Assassin's Guild quest line. People walking around doing stuff, eating, you can stick a poison apple in the food and they'll eat it and die.

That's the only tangible example of the radiant AI. Eating? You call every NPC in town heading to the Inn for 6 hours to repeat the same animation anything like what they promised?

Is it a coincidence that most people consider the Brotherhood quest line to be the best quest in the game? No, it's not.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 10:59:44 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 13, 2010, 10:56:50 pm »

By 'demo' he meant 'demonstration.' I believe it was an E3 demonstration, which included the aquatic life stage, a 3d version of the cell stage, basically.

GDC, actually.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 13, 2010, 10:58:56 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8dvMDFOFnA this is the 2005 Spore video. This is what make me wait for that game for so long for nothing.

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 13, 2010, 11:00:43 pm »

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 13, 2010, 11:04:12 pm »

Thanks, I'll watch those when I get a chance. Back on topic, I also noticed that Oblivion severely lacked in role-playing ability. Very few dialogs actually had different things one could say (Ex. Emperor conversations in tutorial dungeon, Dark Brotherhood chatting with victims), rather then just a generic topic button.
[/post]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 13, 2010, 11:07:48 pm »

I should state that the GDC video is the only video with that sort of stuff happening in them.

Though they staged the vast majority of it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 13, 2010, 11:10:25 pm »

NPCs did indeed steal stuff in-game, although it was rare and usually ended with a dead NPC.

And yes, Ioric.  That's exactly what I meant.  The Radiant AI demo was a malicious prank.  The BethSoft team, upon releasing it, wrung their hands and cackled maniacally, saying "Ha ha!  Now that we've demoralized the glorious PC-gaming master race, we shall crush them underfoot with generic, dumbed down games, and the world will belong to the teeming, grimy masses of console-playing proles!"

I was there, but they said if I told anyone they'd make Baldur's Gate 3.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 13, 2010, 11:19:40 pm »

I guess I would say that Radiant AI was: Intelligent stupidity

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 13, 2010, 11:22:31 pm »

Oblivion had problems, but I won't deny that I enjoyed it.  I ran that game into the ground to the point where I couldn't bring myself to start again when Shivering Isles came out.  I'd done pretty much everything, and since I didn't have my save anymore I didn't want to do it all over again so I'd be high enough for Shivering Isles to be interesting.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 201