Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265343 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #180 on: December 13, 2010, 07:45:14 pm »

Apparently they're using an engine similar to the one Id Software is using on their Rage title. They're not using Id tech 5 because apparently it is not appropriate for an open world game. What the new engine entails for TES V is left to speculation until we get a gameplay trailer though, and that will take at the very least a few months.

And even then it could just be faked like they did with the RAI trailer so the only way to really know anything for sure is to play the game. :-\
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 13, 2010, 07:47:55 pm »

RAI trailer?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 13, 2010, 08:03:29 pm »

has anyone played a twitch based game where you kill dragons? I know they're in some other rpgs, such as NWN2, but so far my best dragon slaying experience is actually DF. I killed a sort of dragon at the end of dark messiah, might and magic, but it was a bit lame.

If dragons actually featurer in skyrim, beyond the cut scenes i will be interested to see how they work as a combat opponent. Id be suprised if the dragon fighting strategy exceeded df. If its like previous eldar scrolls, either cast or drink potion boosts, then run at it and hit it, or stand on a rock and shoot it 400 times. In df, deploy the human sheilds, then launch a flanking move whilst they get toasted, block fire with your sheild, then try to cut its head off.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

The Worst Gamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 13, 2010, 08:07:17 pm »

has anyone played a twitch based game where you kill dragons? I know they're in some other rpgs, such as NWN2, but so far my best dragon slaying experience is actually DF. I killed a sort of dragon at the end of dark messiah, might and magic, but it was a bit lame.

If dragons actually featurer in skyrim, beyond the cut scenes i will be interested to see how they work as a combat opponent. Id be suprised if the dragon fighting strategy exceeded df. If its like previous eldar scrolls, either cast or drink potion boosts, then run at it and hit it, or stand on a rock and shoot it 400 times. In df, deploy the human sheilds, then launch a flanking move whilst they get toasted, block fire with your sheild, then try to cut its head off.

Monster Hunter is kinda like this.

I hope I get to kill lots of dragons in Skyrim. >:
"He's just plain bad."

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 13, 2010, 08:07:58 pm »

RAI trailer?

The Radiant AI trailer in which they explicitly state that everything happening is due to the Radiant AI when in reality it was all scripted.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 13, 2010, 08:10:25 pm »

Radiant AI, what a crock of marketing bullshit. Seriously, that was one of the most irritating parts of Bethesda's sell on Oblivion. They imply this kind of dynamic AI mood/reaction thing....and it's fucking color wheel diplomacy mini-game, and their "dynamic" ai is a facial expression linked to the value of the outcome.

That was the last time I bought into any feature Bethesda described. I bought FO3 to play in the universe, not because of how Bethesda purposefully misrepresented their shallow mechanics.

Radiant AI. Fucking BAH. 
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 13, 2010, 09:01:49 pm »

I don't think the Radiant AI has anything to do with dialog, I think it deals more with the NPC-to-NPC "conversations", tactics, general routine, etc.
[/post]

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 13, 2010, 09:06:35 pm »

So that's why the demo video had the radiant AI displayed next to their dialog mini-game?

Besides, the actual in-game AI amounted to "Player appear, say line. Player attack, run away." There was no depth to it at all.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #188 on: December 13, 2010, 09:11:18 pm »

Well, there was the occasional dialog between characters as well. It was really limited though.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 13, 2010, 09:17:13 pm »

I'm of the opinion that they wanted to make their Radiant AI genuinely awesome but didn't have enough time to do it.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 13, 2010, 09:19:49 pm »

Well, there was the occasional dialog between characters as well. It was really limited though.

No, not occasional, quite frequent actually, but very, very limited and repetitive.
[/post]

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 13, 2010, 09:23:07 pm »

Yeah, Radiant AI was a disappointment, but at least they tried, and it was better than watching Huleeya cursed to wander the gates of Balmora for all eternity.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 13, 2010, 09:37:16 pm »

I'm of the opinion that they wanted to make their Radiant AI genuinely awesome but didn't have enough time to do it.

I'm of the opinion they took what mostly had been done before, did some tweaks, and tried to sell it as an entirely new AI framework. Which it clearly wasn't, since there's been nothing groundbreaking or even particularly well executed from Bethesda in teh AI department since.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 13, 2010, 10:21:20 pm »

The problem with the radiant AI is that it couldn't really simulate real people.

Sure it could problem solve but not within the constructs a person would.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 13, 2010, 10:23:39 pm »

Yeah, Radiant AI was a disappointment, but at least they tried, and it was better than watching Huleeya cursed to wander the gates of Balmora for all eternity.

Tried what exactly?  Orchestrating an elaborate hoax at our expense?  Their main example of their system in action was a complete fabrication.  They didn't try anything but to trick us.

The problem with the radiant AI is that it couldn't really simulate real people.

Sure it could problem solve but not within the constructs a person would.

What?  What problems could it solve?

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 201