Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265350 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #165 on: December 13, 2010, 04:59:08 pm »

Apparently Bethesda are releasing a load of info to magazines in february.

It sounds like the game will be about being a badass dragon slayer.

That is sort of a step down.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 13, 2010, 05:01:00 pm »

Perhaps the forces of evil are just kinda lurking about, then when it sees you as a threat to them they start to take action and going ape shit on everything?

So, in other words, the timer doesn't start until you... acquire a magic sword/staff of some sort, or some other action that would make you capable of defeating the vile forces of darkness.

So you could perhaps go about doing side quests and stuff, and then do the main quest. Who knows.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 13, 2010, 05:13:37 pm »

I wouldn't have a problem with fighting dragons, if it was about stopping Akatosh from devouring the world again.

As seen here.  The last little piece of lore received.  I'd like to think that the leaper king has finally succeeded prompting Akatosh to eat the world once more.(Alduin is Nordic Akatosh)
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 13, 2010, 05:24:59 pm »

Perhaps the forces of evil are just kinda lurking about, then when it sees you as a threat to them they start to take action and going ape shit on everything?

So, in other words, the timer doesn't start until you... acquire a magic sword/staff of some sort, or some other action that would make you capable of defeating the vile forces of darkness.

So you could perhaps go about doing side quests and stuff, and then do the main quest. Who knows.

Sounds like a classic DnD game.

Party does odd jobs and defeats enemies that are tangentially related to the main villain --> Party acquires exceptionally powerful magical item (damn percentile rolls) --> Villain goes "Oh, crap." and the main story truly begins.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 13, 2010, 05:34:50 pm »

This has probably already been said but I really hope they fix the stat gain system.  I mean, I liked 'Blivion a lot.  But it was an almost-certain fact that if you picked all the strength skills as class skills, that you would gain less strength over time than someone who didn't pick any.  It's so backwards.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 13, 2010, 05:38:30 pm »

This has probably already been said but I really hope they fix the stat gain system.  I mean, I liked 'Blivion a lot.  But it was an almost-certain fact that if you picked all the strength skills as class skills, that you would gain less strength over time than someone who didn't pick any.  It's so backwards.

Specifically you had to hold back on leveling up in Oblivion so that your attributes would get +10s instead of the +1-3 you usually get.

In otherwords the reason their scaling system is broken is because their leveling system is even MORE broken.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 13, 2010, 05:58:59 pm »

The main plot could happen independently from you, and you could have the choice of participating or not. If you did not, things could escalate badly, or another hero could show up, or you could join the other side and step on everyone's necks, etc.

For games with scripted plots, this could go horribly wrong (i.e. "this games sucks", not "losing is fun") for any number of reasons.  For games with emergent plots, it sounds fantastic.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 13, 2010, 06:19:50 pm »

I wouldn't have a problem with fighting dragons, if it was about stopping Akatosh from devouring the world again.

As seen here.  The last little piece of lore received.  I'd like to think that the leaper king has finally succeeded prompting Akatosh to eat the world once more.(Alduin is Nordic Akatosh)

So you'd actually be fighting the "good" gods? Hell Yeah!
[/post]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 13, 2010, 06:25:42 pm »

So you'd actually be fighting the "good" gods? Hell Yeah!

Well if the story is correct there are no "Good" gods nor are there really "evil" ones. They are actually both from the same family.

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 13, 2010, 06:31:11 pm »

Weren't the gods that the imperials worshiped good (although I forget whether they existed or not). You are correct about the daedra, they are generally sort of in a gray area. There are a couple that are generally destructive/evil like Mehrunes Dagon, but there are also a couple of 'good' ones like Azura.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 13, 2010, 06:33:32 pm »

Weren't the gods that the imperials worshiped good (although I forget whether they existed or not). You are correct about the daedra, they are generally sort of in a gray area. There are a couple that are generally destructive/evil like Mehrunes Dagon, but there are also a couple of 'good' ones like Azura.

No that was just part of the mass genericization project known as Oblivion.  Play Daggerfall if you want to see what what the nine divines are really like.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #176 on: December 13, 2010, 07:16:46 pm »

Skyrim is confirmed to be on a new engine. Also here, here, and here. So it's still going to somewhat based around the old engine, but that's a good thing for the modding capabilities.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 13, 2010, 07:17:16 pm »

There are a couple that are generally destructive/evil like Mehrunes Dagon, but there are also a couple of 'good' ones like Azura.
And insane badass ones like Sheogorath.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 13, 2010, 07:22:28 pm »

It will be interesting to see how that's handled.

[/post]

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 13, 2010, 07:41:30 pm »

Apparently they're using an engine similar to the one Id Software is using on their Rage title. They're not using Id tech 5 because apparently it is not appropriate for an open world game. What the new engine entails for TES V is left to speculation until we get a gameplay trailer though, and that will take at the very least a few months.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 201