Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265323 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #135 on: December 13, 2010, 01:14:34 pm »

He had seen you in his dreams. He knew what would happen, and that he was going to give you the amulet.
Yes, it's still rather stupid, but not for the reasons you mentioned  :P

He still doesn't know how dangerous you might be.  Relevant:  Some players massacre the entire population of Cyrodiil.
I don't see how this is relevant at all, story-wise.
Love, scriver~

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 13, 2010, 01:23:05 pm »

Dreams aside, he still showed poor judgment.  You were in prison for a reason, after all.  Of course, in Oblivion you're not allowed to kill anyone important to the plot, so there is that.  Contrast that with Morrowind and its "Oh snap!  You just killed someone important and doomed the world!" popups.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 13, 2010, 01:29:05 pm »

I did do one thing awesome with my mage character spellwise in oblivion... I took a spell of water walking turned it into a touch spell, then took my horse out to the ocean and cast it on the horse... Then rode out into the ocean... For double awesome points the weather shifted while I was out there. So I was riding back to town in the middle of a storm... Even though the water was still absolutely calm it was awesome... although the novelty did wear off after a while.

Apart from that though the spells were really limited, there were far fewer effects you could use, and the ways in which spells could be combined or changed was very limited... The ability to make spells was actually fairly useless. This should be fixed.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 13, 2010, 01:31:39 pm »

It was usefull to completely break the game tho. Or to make tri elemental spells that cost less that the normal ones. Best cheesing tool you could get.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 13, 2010, 01:50:28 pm »

You could do some awesome things with spell effects in Morrowind in enchantment (mind you, enchantment was so ungodly difficult you pretty much had to mod the game or give yourself ludicrous +int to make it usable. I used a mod and then promptly enchanted a helm of +int and +enchant. Then I proceeded to re-create icarian flight in enchantment form).

Due to the inability to stack enchantments in Oblivion, and lack of anything other than constant effect, recreating icarian flight with enchantment in oblivion is completely impossible. Oblivion doesn't even have a slowfall spell effect anymore.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 13, 2010, 01:57:18 pm »

Oblivion lacks jump and levitation, as well. And stats and skills are hardcapped at 255(and only then if you abuse multiple self-made boosts).

Even with the dreams, Uriel says something to the effect that he can't foretell the future past the moment of his death.

And even then, his dreams come from his stay in Oblivion(which happened in the first game), a chaotic dimension of fiery destruction, the powers of which you're sent to keep from destroying the world. So really, Mehrunes Dagon could just as easily had old Uriel send a deranged maniac with potentially limitless power out into the world with the two very key things needed to stop that from happening(the Amulet of Kings, and the knowledge of Martin's existance), and no intention of doing so.

What exactly is the player's motivation for saving the world(aside from their own survival, but they could just as easily join the other side for that)?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 13, 2010, 02:00:54 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 13, 2010, 02:03:16 pm »

Azura star is form the first ( or about) daedric quest. With the skeleton Key( Lockpicking skill is now unnecessary) it was about the most usefull thing you could get.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 13, 2010, 02:11:09 pm »

Azura star is form the first ( or about) daedric quest. With the skeleton Key( Lockpicking skill is now unnecessary) it was about the most usefull thing you could get.

IIRC the Skeleton Key in Morrowind had limited uses, unlike Oblivion.  Since I always maxed out security by that point, I never bothered to see if you could get another after using up the first.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 13, 2010, 02:21:24 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 13, 2010, 02:28:48 pm »

I used magic to open doors instead, personally. It wasn't terribly hard, particularly in oblivion where your magicka magically regenerated on its own, to max it out rapidly. Of course then you gain several levels, so you probably wanted to space your training out over several levels or not put it in your major skills, etc.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 13, 2010, 02:35:34 pm »

Back on topic, I have to be skeptical that Skyrim will be worth buying.
Oblivion had so much potential... but the main plot was shallow, tedious, and brainless.  RPG requires good story telling.  It's OK to be a little clichéd and trite, but the story still has to be rich.  Side-plots, explorable world, and mods were the only thing that made it worth playing for a weekend or two before I deleted it.

Fallout 3 was even worse.  So much more potential, but instead the world was smaller than Oblivion, the plot was horribly short and lacking any depth.  Even most side plots were disappointing.

Why should I expect Skyrim to be any better?  Another beautiful engine, pretty 3D, great physics simulation, with a UI suffering from consolitis, requires mods to be bearable, and the lack of story-telling will still kill it.

Expectation: Just an FPS with swords.

*edit* Unless, of course, they surprise me.  I like surprises.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 02:37:13 pm by zilpin »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 13, 2010, 02:38:43 pm »

RE: Oblivion's scaling, etc.

I played through Oblivion without mods, and it did get pretty annoying there at the end. I definitely like the way Bethesda did Fallout 3 over TES4, and I hope they do something similar in Skyrim.
FO3 did pretty much the same thing as Oblivion. It simply scaled the given area the first time you visited it and made it stay that way. And there was pretty much no reason to re-visit an area after stuff respawned there (unless you were adamant about not using fast-travel). It pretty much ended up the same as Oblivion - the higher level you are, the tougher the enemies you'll encounter in new areas.

I think New Vegas didn't go into level-scaling, but I'm not entirely sure.

Actually, FO3 had SOME scaling in the areas, but areas were still designated as "level 5 area" or such. If you visited it for the first time when you were level 12 or more, it could scale up to level 8 or so. It wasn't linear. Also visiting a "l-20 area" at level 3 wouldn't make it level 3. The "no reason to re-visit" is kinda silly thing to point out, since without level scaling at all, by that logic there would be no reason to revisit anything that you've out-leveled. I barely noticed the scaling in comparison with Oblivion where every noname raider was wearing glass and daedric armour.

New Vegas probably got rid of it, or kept the slight level tweaking of FO3, but anyway I think the guy that made Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul actually worked on New Vegas.

Also, the thing I want most to be in TES V is the return of the Mudcrab Merchant, if possible as a major plot character!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 02:40:19 pm by Sergius »

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 13, 2010, 02:54:49 pm »

The Elder Scrolls has actual lore which is often revealed through in game books, which give you a lot of interesting info for reading into the details. Personally, I think this reduces neccesity for a strong main storyline but yes, Oblivion's was crappy.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 13, 2010, 03:09:04 pm »

I think that the main quest should not be designed so that you are inextricably bound to it by the time you finish the tutorial, which it should be separate from. You should have to look to find it (though not too hard).
[/post]
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 201