Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265229 times)

Ø

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2010, 03:25:00 am »

You know... if Dungeons and dragons was what they were taking inspiration from. ... Gameplay they originally took it from other sources, which took it from I believe Wizardry (unless Eye of the Beholder was first).
OK, granted I haven't played literal "oldschool" D&D, IE anything before 3.5, but from my own probably incorrect experiences, Morrowind game mechanics strike me as more D&D oriented compared against the streamlined mush that was Oblivion. Though, I don't play many computer RPGs to compare it against.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2010, 03:25:21 am »

Leveling itself was a bit more awkward. In Morrowind there was an upper cap to the level scaling and it was a rather gentle curve. You could go a few levels with only +1's to attributes and be fine, not too much of an issue. In Oblivion doing that will ruin your save as suddenly everything is too difficult to deal with.

But really, there is only one issue that irked me to dislike Oblivion. All combat felt like thwaping floursacks with a broom as you see their health bar slowly inch down. I dunno how to change this, perhaps balance your game so encounters end somewhat quickly? I understand the need for time to think about the situation, but it just feels like a grind.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2010, 03:30:18 am »

Maybe make melee combat more interesting somehow?

Ø

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2010, 03:40:31 am »

I'm probably being a little harsh in my hatred towards Oblivion, but then again, I only ever had a handful of "Oh thank god they fixed this" moments. The physical combat system (which was only really broken for extremely low skill level players in Morrowind, otherwise it was just kind of awkward), a quick spell cast key, poisonable arrows without having to waste soul gems, and finally putting undergarments on the furries.

The rest of my experience was "What the F- is this S-?", "This isn't elder scrolls!", and "Augh! Why would they break this?". When they set out to make Oblivion, either the lead designer first said "How can we alienate Morrowind fans as much as possible?" or "How can we specifically target the new generation of console-tard gamers?"

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 13, 2010, 03:43:58 am »

Leveling itself was a bit more awkward. In Morrowind there was an upper cap to the level scaling and it was a rather gentle curve. You could go a few levels with only +1's to attributes and be fine, not too much of an issue. In Oblivion doing that will ruin your save as suddenly everything is too difficult to deal with.

But really, there is only one issue that irked me to dislike Oblivion. All combat felt like thwaping floursacks with a broom as you see their health bar slowly inch down. I dunno how to change this, perhaps balance your game so encounters end somewhat quickly? I understand the need for time to think about the situation, but it just feels like a grind.
Oh god, yeah, what made both of these issues painfully obvious to me was when my level 12 character, who I chose skills for that I actually like using (Oh god why did I do that  ::)) was in a dungeon, and I had to shoot about twenty-five arrows into a skeleton before it would finally die, the weapon being steel arrows from a glass bow.
One thing I think would be nicer, as a cheap-but-better way of making it at least seem like less of a grind would be if it threw more enemies at you, that would die faster.  Obviously it wouldn't help anywhere near as much as making combat more interesting (Or less prevalent?  Maybe?!) though.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 13, 2010, 04:34:58 am »

Morrowind has always struck as being very similar to DnD 3.5.

Oblivion is a lot like 4th Edition (AKA WoW Version*).

*This is a name my friends and I use for 4th Edition, since (in our opinion) it's geared more towards someone who got into PnP RPGs via WoW.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 13, 2010, 05:04:48 am »

I tell you what, Oblivion is much harder when you make your character a Jumplomancer.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"
« Reply #112 on: December 13, 2010, 05:25:34 am »

Morrowind has always struck as being very similar to DnD 3.5.

Oblivion is a lot like 4th Edition (AKA WoW Version*).

*This is a name my friends and I use for 4th Edition, since (in our opinion) it's geared more towards someone who got into PnP RPGs via WoW.

Entirely true, to be honest. Especially on the WoW front. =p

I never played Oblivion without mods, though. OOO/MMM was my overhaul combination of choice.
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2010, 09:06:36 am »

Deadly Reflexes mod. Try it sometime. Instead of easily slaying a guard after two minutes of blocking, you have to actually time your blocks or you might lose your head.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2010, 09:15:56 am »

Well fantasy to Todd Howard is a knight riding around on a horse and killing things.  His words.

About the Mage Guild.  It doesn't matter if you're a vampire.  You know that part where the old archmage suddenly keels over for no apparent reason after making you archmage?  Well that's because he for some reason decided that the only way to defeat that pansy ass Altmer King of Worms bastardization was to entrap his soul in the soul crystal you'd given him, which would protect you from Mannimarco's powers of paralysis.  Being a vampire has nothing to do with it, though I'm not in the least bit surprised that they didn't take that possibility into account.

Speaking of Altmer... What the crap was with the Altmer villains in this game?  They made the King of Worms, a some super lich necromancer, into a fairly weak Altmer mage.  And even more weird, they made the big bad of the game, the son of two Bosmer, an Altmer as well.

And speaking of the mage's guild, am I the only one that felt like the whole premise behind it was completely idiotic?  I mean, basically the only reason you're fighting the necromancers is because the new archmage suddenly decided to ban necromancy for no apparent reason and hunt down all it's practitioners.  Then when it turns out they're a bit tougher to massacre than he'd hoped you come along, his guardian angel of death.  Yay, you saved us from the oppressed minority's attempts to continue existing!  A hero is you!  Also here's a chest that gets filled with fairly useless crap on an irregular basis.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 13, 2010, 09:19:05 am »

I just thought of something horrible, what if there isn't mod support in this new game  :-X

Naah...that couldn't happen...could it?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 13, 2010, 09:25:04 am »

Moar Mage's Guild hate: Is it just me, or did whatever idiot who wrote that quest line watch the Harry Potter movies too many times? Because that's what it felt like. And the necromancer hate is never really explained, other than small feud between Traven and Mannimarco. Heck, Mannimarco's hate seems only directed at the Mage's Guild, the rest of the Empire seems beneath his concern. In Morrowind, it's said very clearly that necromancy is both legal(but restricted) and accepted in the Empire(except in Morrowind itself, where it's punishable by painful death).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2010, 09:35:41 am »

I just thought of something horrible, what if there isn't mod support in this new game  :-X

Naah...that couldn't happen...could it?

If it were any other series I'd say yes but considering how iconic TES games' construction set has become I'm not going to speculate until we hear more.

And hey, at least the first info they gave us wasn't that there would be a popular celebrity voice actor who only appears in the first 15 of the game.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 13, 2010, 10:49:54 am »

That'll be the second news, where they reveal von Sydow will play whoever forces you down the tracks during the first ten minutes this time around.
Though, he might not be as popular.

As for the CS, whether something like it will be released or not will definitely decide how soon I buy the game (because I won't kid myself by saying I won't buy it). If there's no CS, I think I'm gonna wait this one out and buy the GotY version with the eventual expansions/DLC:s attached. Because, seriously, playing around with the CS is the most fun part of all Beth's games. Ain't gonna spend more money than I have to on the game without it.
Love, scriver~
« Reply #119 on: December 13, 2010, 10:53:17 am »

If there's no CS, I'm definitely not buying it. Or if the CS is a useless pile of shit like Dragon Age's editor, also not buying.
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 201